Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home page broken

Options
  • 04-07-2013 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

I don't know what it is supposed to look like, but not like this!
    Mac, Firefox 22
    261220.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Have just checked it with Safari and layout a little better, but no thread titles?...or is that the way its supposed to be:eek:

261222.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

I can't reproduce the above on OSX here, what version are you currently running? Would you mind firing on the details provided in http://www.boards.ie/diagnostics (omitting your IP address if posting publicly) and we'll take a look into it, thanks.

v10.6.8

Your System

IP Address:

Operating System: Mac OS X

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0
    Your Browser

Javascript Enabled: Yes

Cookies Enabled: Yes

Java Enabled: Yes

Flash Version: 11.7 r700 installed
    Your Resolution

Screen: 1536 x 960

Current Browser: 1536 x 846

Colour: 24 bit
    Our Server

Date/Time: Friday 05th of July 2013, 08:35:20

Name: www.boards.ie (lips)
    LocalStorage

LS/SS Enabled: Yes

Followed Forums:
    [{"forumid":"1059","title":"Gardening","lastpost":"1373002201","unread":"1"},{"forumid":"406","title":"Nature & Bird Watching","lastpost":"1373008056","unread":"1"},{"forumid":"1041","title":"Renewable Energies","lastpost":"1372875292","unread":"1"},{"forumid":"388","title":"Rugby","lastpost":"1373009543","unread":"1"},{"forumid":"1511","title":"Smallholding","lastpost":"1372980161","unread":"1"},{"forumid":"109","title":"Sustainability & Environmental Issues","lastpost":"1372855159","unread":"1"},{"forumid":"374","title":"Weather","lastpost":"1373007378","unread":"1"},{"forumid":"935","title":"Wicklow","lastpost":"1372952987","unread":"1"},{"forumid":"1501","title":"Zoology","lastpost":"1372993105","unread":"1"}]

User Details

Username: Mothman

User ID: 23502

Moderator: No

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Hi folks,
    I'm also getting a broken homepage. Running chrome: Version 27.0.1453.116 m

Mothman, I'm testing in FF 22 / Safari here on snow leopard, cant recreate at the moment. From the screens it looks like your styling is completely borked. Could you please try clearing your browser history and cache and try again? Does disabling / renabling "cozy mode" make any difference?

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I'm also getting a broken homepage. Running chrome: Version 27.0.1453.116 m

Looks like JavaScript isn't firing on the page, are you sure it's enabled?

In Chrome if you load up the homepage, hit F12, select "Console" then refresh the page are there errors?

Could you please try clearing your browser history and cache and try again?
    Still same
    Does disabling / renabling "cozy mode" make any difference?
    What's cozy mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

I have the same issue on Android.

Mothman wrote: »
    Still same

What's cozy mode?

"UserCP -> Appearance Settings -> Cozy Mode", is the checkbox there checked?

Bar that I'm afraid I'm at a loss, can't recreate here on the same setup.

Have you any sort of content blocking plugins enabled, the likes of adblocker?

Custom scripts altering the CSS?

In chrome are you receiving any errors related to CSS or content served in the console (Hit F12 in Chrome, then the "Console" tab, then reload the page)?

"UserCP -> Appearance Settings -> Cozy Mode", is the checkbox there checked?
    Can't find it :confused:
    261314.jpg
    Have you any sort of content blocking plugins enabled, the likes of adblocker?
    Disabled Adblocker, no change, also no scripts but its not blocking from boards.
    Custom scripts altering the CSS?
    not that I'm aware of
    In chrome are you receiving any errors related to CSS or content served in the console (Hit F12 in Chrome, then the "Console" tab, then reload the page)?
    Don't use Chrome, that was Zulu :)

But....:)
    I have found it is to do with zoom and perhaps text zoom only which I have on both Firefox and Safari.
    When I disabled text zoom, the normal zoom seemed to work. But turning on text zoom only, it breaks it again.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    I have found it is to do with zoom and perhaps text zoom only which I have on both Firefox and Safari.
    When I disabled text zoom, the normal zoom seemed to work. But turning on text zoom only, it breaks it again.

Thanks for the update, we'll take another look at recreating it here in the office and take it from there. Cheers, R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Hi Mothman,

We've made some changes that should make viewing the page with text-zoom enabled a little more usable. at the very least the thread links shouldn't disappear any more.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Homepage descenders are getting cut off in the type. Ie. g, j, q, p, y, are getting their bits below the 'line' cut off.

Likely issue is
    .threadrow-threadlink .single-line-clamp {
    display: block;
    overflow: hidden;
    text-overflow: ellipsis;
    white-space: nowrap;

in http://b-static.net/www/css/themes/default/homepage.css?v=299

with 'bad' overflow being assigned to hidden as opposed to visible.

fwiw:

Cosy Mode: ON but from quick change, that doesn't seem to make a difference

Operating System: Windows 7

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0
    Your Browser

Javascript Enabled: Yes

Cookies Enabled: Yes

Java Enabled: Yes

Flash Version: 11.7 r700 installed
    Your Resolution

Screen: 1600 x 900

Current Browser: 1600 x 745

Colour: 24 bit

Thanks for that tricky D, the issue was the line height being set too small and not the overflow - we've updated the styles now and the trails on hanging letters should be visible.

Danny

Thought it might be line-height but couldn't see that in the css. While I'm seeing a bit more of the descender, the bottom curl on a 'g' is still getting clipped. Perhaps push to 16px?? Your call, no biggie, cheers.

I see no difference in 15px vs 16px on Firefox althought I'm on linux which wouldn't be a world beater for font rendering. Let me check it out on some other platforms.

Danny

And sure enough the weakness of the linux font rendering was at fault. I've bumped the line-height to 16px and it seems to be resolved (Firefox 22, Windows 7). Cheers for the assistance (and perseverance :D)

Danny

Hmm, weird. My FF isn't doing what it's supposed to do despite cleared cache and correct height in FireBug.

Fine in other browsers.

Reckon I'll just update to 22 and watch lots of extensions break. Ah well....:)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement