Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB regitered?

Options
  • 04-07-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

How do i know if my landlord registered myself with the PRTB? And if he has or has not how does it affect myself either way?

*ok so i found the register on the PRTB website and my address isnt registered as of the 29 June 2013

what does this mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

hurlsey wrote: »
    How do i know if my landlord registered myself with the PRTB? And if he has or has not how does it affect myself either way?

I'm not an expert and will be renting out the rooms in my house as a live in landlord in the coming weeks but I doubt it'll affect you that much. If you e signed a lease/rental agreement and are happy with the terms, so long as your landlord keeps his end of the agreement, then happy days. Only real way I can see it affecting you is if your landlord is slippery and refuses to give back your deposit for whatever reason, then you've got no redress to the PRTB to chase him for it. Of course if you demand to be reg'd then he's obliged, but there's no guarantee he will do that. Simply, to put your mind at ease, ring the PRTB yourself give the landlords name and property address and find out first is the property reg'd and if so, are you. PRTB are your one-stop-shop. I'd start there.

How did you get on with your last landlord? Re: the friend who decided he wasn't able to afford the rent,2 months after moving into a place. Hope it went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

pajopearl wrote: »

How did you get on with your last landlord? Re: the friend who decided he wasn't able to afford the rent,2 months after moving into a place. Hope it went well.

Lost the deposit, cant fault the landlord!! The "friend" tried to leave me in the lurch to resolve everything with the Landlord, bills etc, I told him to go f**k himself and left it to him to handle!! Needless to say the term friend is being used in the loosest of terms!! I suppose ive learned a valuable lesson of who you should live with!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Lost the deposit, cant fault the landlord!! The "friend" tried to leave me in the lurch to resolve everything with the Landlord, bills etc, I told him to go f**k himself and left it to him to handle!! Needless to say the term friend is being used in the loosest of terms!! I suppose ive learned a valuable lesson of who you should live with!!

Always ALWAYS get the bills in your name...relying on someone else tp pay half...on time, is a mugs game imo. I get you might not be able to afford the full bills costs....but the hassle would make me try hard to do it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

pajopearl wrote: »
    Only real way I can see it affecting you is if your landlord is slippery and refuses to give back your deposit for whatever reason, then you've got no redress to the PRTB to chase him for it. Of course if you demand to be reg'd then he's obliged, but there's no guarantee he will do that. Simply, to put your mind at ease, ring the PRTB yourself give the landlords name and property address and find out first is the property reg'd and if so, are you. PRTB are your one-stop-shop. I'd start there.

This is not true. Even if your landlord has not registered the tenancy you can still take a case to the prtb!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

PRTB website is not to be trusted. I rented out a property and 4 years later I noticed it wasn't online BUT is was in their database...which is apparently not synchronous with what the web app displays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

athtrasna wrote: »
    This is not true. Even if your landlord has not registered the tenancy you can still take a case to the prtb!

Correct. This is important info for any landlords who think that not registering with the PRTB means that they have no jurisdiction over them. Those landlords are mistaken and are in for a world of pain when they get shopped to the PRTB AND the taxman.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gaius c wrote: »
    Correct. This is important info for any landlords who think that not registering with the PRTB means that they have no jurisdiction over them. Those landlords are mistaken and are in for a world of pain when they get shopped to the PRTB AND the taxman.

Instant 5k fine for not registering, when you're caught (and its a case of 'when', not 'if')

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Instant 5k fine for not registering, when you're caught (and its a case of 'when', not 'if')

its not an instant 5k fine. Its a potential 5K fine and that wont ever apply for a first time offender anymore than a first time offender without a tv licence will get a 10k fine

D3PO wrote: »
    its not an instant 5k fine. Its a potential 5K fine and that wont ever apply for a first time offender anymore than a first time offender without a tv licence will get a 10k fine

It sounds as though they're really beginning to get their act together on this- they've improved their systems immeasurably, and while staffing would appear to be better but still not sufficient- they are getting their acts together. I'd be very very worried, if I was a non-compliant landlord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

So when i move to this new property, will the PTRB issue me with a new reg. number?
    Landlord is RAS so he has to be signed up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Bluegrass1

There is no instant fine when caught. All that happens is the registration charge is doubled from €90 to €180. The maximum fine for not registering is €3K which is at the discretion of the court and only then if registration has not occurred within two weeks of being called on to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

So when i move to this new property, will the PTRB issue me with a new reg. number?
    Landlord is RAS so he has to be signed up.
    PRTB won't issue you with anything. The tenancy is registered and paid for by the LL and he (might) get a confirmation letter from them. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

murphaph wrote: »
    PRTB won't issue you with anything. The tenancy is registered and paid for by the LL and he (might) get a confirmation letter from them. That's it.

I started a thread a few weeks ago asking about PRTB registration (I'm the tenant). Most people who replied said that they, as tenants, had received letters from the PRTB confirming their registration.

I started a thread a few weeks ago asking about PRTB registration (I'm the tenant). Most people who replied said that they, as tenants, had received letters from the PRTB confirming their registration.

It would appear that they've gotten better at sending letters of late- however lack of receipt of a letter by a tenant, shouldn't be construed as meaning anything whatsoever...... Check the online database- and also check with them directly- its far from an accurate process.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

*ok so i found the register on the PRTB website and my address isnt registered as of the 29 June 2013

what does this mean?
    If a tenancy is not registered with the PRTB, the tenant is unaffected and may make a claim with the PRTB.

However, a landlord who has not registered a tenancy is unable to make a claim (or counter-claim) against a tenant until the tenancy is registered.

Thus, it could prove to be more beneficial to a tenant if the tenancy is not registered.

Also, third parties may make a claim with the PRTB against a landlord. This would include anti-social behaviour affecting neighbours and others living close-by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

what does this mean?

You should also check the faq's. There are a number of conditions, consequent to which, a landlord is exempt from registering, such as a live in landlord. At least, that's my reading of it.

Advertisement