Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing Exam Papers

Options
  • 04-07-2013 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

I am trying to get my hands on past papers for the Phase 6 T2 exam, and I thought i'd post it here on the off chance somebody could help me out. I failed the T2 years ago but I need to get it done because i'm heading off to Canada next year.

I'm doing a Masters in September, but I also have to sit the T2 exam around October so I wont be able to attend the plumbing classes. So if I had a bunch of past papers it would be enough to get me through the exam I reckon, so if anybody has them i'd love to hear from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

Hi all,

I am trying to get my hands on past papers for the Phase 6 T2 exam, and I thought i'd post it here on the off chance somebody could help me out. I failed the T2 years ago but I need to get it done because i'm heading off to Canada next year.

I'm doing a Masters in September, but I also have to sit the T2 exam around October so I wont be able to attend the plumbing classes. So if I had a bunch of past papers it would be enough to get me through the exam I reckon, so if anybody has them i'd love to hear from you.

just moved to Canada last month. Boyfriend is a plumber. His employer told him he needs to get his Red Seal and it take will him a few months. He is on lower pay until he gets it. Not all employers ask for this but it is a legal requirement. He has to re-sit and study for the Canadian version of phase 6 so I am not sure if you re-sitting Phase six at home will matter? However if this stopped you from graduating then you have no papers right and you kinda need to be qualified.... so many plumbing jobs here. Wish I was a plumber now. Sorry haven;t helped with the papers question, but just giving you a heads up on re-doing it again when you get here!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 creativefreak

meelyb wrote: »
    just moved to Canada last month. Boyfriend is a plumber. His employer told him he needs to get his Red Seal and it take will him a few months. He is on lower pay until he gets it. Not all employers ask for this but it is a legal requirement. He has to re-sit and study for the Canadian version of phase 6 so I am not sure if you re-sitting Phase six at home will matter? However if this stopped you from graduating then you have no papers right and you kinda need to be qualified.... so many plumbing jobs here. Wish I was a plumber now. Sorry haven;t helped with the papers question, but just giving you a heads up on re-doing it again when you get here!

Thanks for the reply, I heard about the red seal exam but I just presumed I would have to be fully qualified here first. I'll have to look into that coz it would be great to just go over and do the red seal and get working. I'm getting excited now knowing theres loads of work!

Can I ask you did your boyfriend go on the LMO and you were aloud go with him? The reason I ask is coz my girlfriend will be coming over with me on the LMO or the open working visa. I'm just wondering have you found it hard to get work yourself coz i'd like to think it wont be too hard for my girlfriend to find something too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Why did you fail phase 6 T2 exam?

gifted wrote: »
    Why did you fail phase 6 T2 exam?

I failed because I didnt study for it. Stupid I know, but I was 5 years younger and wreckless!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

What plumbing experience do you have , are you industrial or domestic , as far as I know the majority of work is on larger scale jobs , so you would probably need to be experienced in large pipework , welding , etc.

• Advertisement

sullzz wrote: »
    What plumbing experience do you have , are you industrial or domestic , as far as I know the majority of work is on larger scale jobs , so you would probably need to be experienced in large pipework , welding , etc.

I`'ve got both domestic and industrial, but mainly industrial. Luckily I prefer the large jobs myself too.

I`'ve got both domestic and industrial, but mainly industrial. Luckily I prefer the large jobs myself too.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm curious to know what you have been doing since you failed your phase 6 exam. Without it you can't get your craft card. When was the last time you worked on a site in plumbing related business?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm curious to know what you have been doing since you failed your phase 6 exam. Without it you can't get your craft card. When was the last time you worked on a site in plumbing related business?

When the construction industry took a turn for the worst I lost my job so I went to college. I got an honours degree in business management....and still cant get a job....so it looks like Canada is the best option. I could probably get work related to my degree over there, but I would earn a lot more plumbing. It has been a while so I know what you mean, it will take some time to get back up to speed, but I was quite good at plumbing and welding so I should be ok. It's been about 4 years since I worked in any plumbing related business.

When the construction industry took a turn for the worst I lost my job so I went to college. I got an honours degree in business management....and still cant get a job....so it looks like Canada is the best option. I could probably get work related to my degree over there, but I would earn a lot more plumbing. It has been a while so I know what you mean, it will take some time to get back up to speed, but I was quite good at plumbing and welding so I should be ok. It's been about 4 years since I worked in any plumbing related business.

I'm open to correction here but I thought that you couldn't go on to Phase 7 until you passed all your previous phases which means that if you do pass Phase 6 T2 then you have to spend a few months completing Phase 7 on site.

I'm open to correction here but I thought that you couldn't go on to Phase 7 until you passed all your previous phases which means that if you do pass Phase 6 T2 then you have to spend a few months completing Phase 7 on site.

You're correct. But if you know somebody with a plumbing company, they can put through the phase 7 forms for you. Sounds crazy but when you think about it, phase 3, 5 and 7 are never adhered to by companies so in other words they are never actually done according to the Fas requirements outlined in the standard apprenticeship. So I dont see a problem in getting the phase 7 pushed through for me.

• Advertisement

You're correct. But if you know somebody with a plumbing company, they can put through the phase 7 forms for you. Sounds crazy but when you think about it, phase 3, 5 and 7 are never adhered to by companies so in other words they are never actually done according to the Fas requirements outlined in the standard apprenticeship. So I dont see a problem in getting the phase 7 pushed through for me.

So you want to complete your apprenticeship by completing only 6 Phases?

So you want to complete your apprenticeship by completing only 6 Phases?

Thats how most apprentices do it. Like I said, phase 3, 5, 7 are never carried out. But having said that, the experience is gained provided you're with a good company. The problem is those phases expect the employer to set up tests that may not be relevant to the job you are on and this becomes a waste of time and costly for the employer.

If you are with a good employer you would pick up the skills, just not "by the book".

It's not a great system but that's the way it generally works.

Thats how most apprentices do it. Like I said, phase 3, 5, 7 are never carried out. But having said that, the experience is gained provided you're with a good company. The problem is those phases expect the employer to set up tests that may not be relevant to the job you are on and this becomes a waste of time and costly for the employer.

If you are with a good employer you would pick up the skills, just not "by the book".

It's not a great system but that's the way it generally works.

Who told you that?

Who told you that?

Well thats been my experience in 2 companies, and half my mates are plumbers and it's been the same for them. Maybe you are one of the privileged ones!

In the company I worked for (I wont mention, but they were big, employed a few hundred plumbers here in Dublin) nobody even mentioned the on the job phases let alone carried them out.

I would have liked to do it by the book. But in fairness I got to learn and try everything.

Well thats been my experience in 2 companies, and half my mates are plumbers and it's been the same for them. Maybe you are one of the privileged ones!

In the company I worked for (I wont mention, but they were big, employed a few hundred plumbers here in Dublin) nobody even mentioned the on the job phases let alone carried them out.

I would have liked to do it by the book. But in fairness I got to learn and try everything.

so your plumber mates all completed Phase 2, went home sat around until they got called for phase 4, completed that and went home again until they got called for phase 6 and then they were qualified?

So, 20 weeks for Phase 2. 10 weeks for Phase 4, 10 weeks for Phase 6 , that makes 46 weeks out of a plumbing apprentiship out of 4 years? or am i missing something here?

so your plumber mates all completed Phase 2, went home sat around until they got called for phase 4, completed that and went home again until they got called for phase 6 and then they were qualified?

So, 20 weeks for Phase 2. 10 weeks for Phase 4, 10 weeks for Phase 6 , that makes 46 weeks out of a plumbing apprentiship out of 4 years? or am i missing something here?

Yep you're missing something. Phase 2, 4, 6 are done in college. Phase 3, 5, 7 are supposed to be tested on the job, but they are not tested, you just work away as normal.

So what i'm saying is, I will get the phase 7 forms sent to Fas (without actually doing phase 7)....and I dont see a problem with that since it is not even tested on the job.

Yep you're missing something. Phase 2, 4, 6 are done in college. Phase 3, 5, 7 are supposed to be tested on the job, but they are not tested, you just work away as normal.

So what i'm saying is, I will get the phase 7 forms sent to Fas (without actually doing phase 7)....and I dont see a problem with that since it is not even tested on the job.

Most apprentices are not tested on site, especially the big sites, foreman is usually to busy ( first hand experience ) but as long as your working on the sites you were learning. Regarding phase 7, you have to be employed first by the company and then registered with FAS through that company. Are you planning on getting a start with a company?

The national Craft Card is issued through FETAC not FAS and i know that every apprentices exams and Phases are thoroughly checked by Fetac so even if you do know someone in a Plumbing company you will still have to be down as an employee with that company and wait the final couple of months of Phase 7 to receive your craft card

Most apprentices are not tested on site, especially the big sites, foreman is usually to busy ( first hand experience ) but as long as your working on the sites you were learning. Regarding phase 7, you have to be employed first by the company and then registered with FAS through that company. Are you planning on getting a start with a company?

Yep that's what I meant, you generally pick up the experience. In an ideal world it would be done by the book, but i've never seen it.

I'm hoping to get a bit of work through a guy I know, just for the sake of getting the papers in, but I've heard of people putting an employers details down (with their consent) and putting through the phase 7 forms. Apparently Fas dont check to see if you are actually employed.

I've also heard that the may be making some kind of allowance for apprentices based on the fact they can not find employers to complete the phase 7. I dont know if there's any truth to that, but all I know is i'd like to get the phase 6 done then worry about phase 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

Can I ask you did your boyfriend go on the LMO and you were aloud go with him? The reason I ask is coz my girlfriend will be coming over with me on the LMO or the open working visa. I'm just wondering have you found it hard to get work yourself coz i'd like to think it wont be too hard for my girlfriend to find something too.[/QUOTE]

Nope, didn't go on LMO. Though he got offered one at the Expo/jobs fair. And another couple of email offers since we moved here last month. i didn't realise your partner can work on your LMO. I know we could bring each other on one IEC visa, But only one of us could work if we were on the one visa. I worked in finance (investment and retail banking) and do not have financial qualifications but a good eight years experience from Ireland. Even if I had general QFAs here though they would not help from what I can see. Finance and trades are regulated professions here- meaning you have to have passed certain Canadian standards. Most job descriptions ask for these. If you want to earn any proper money you will need them. I sort of fell into banking at home so I am using this as my reason to fall back out of it! To do waitressing, you need a basic service cert. Office and temping work recruitment agencies are here in abundance so plenty of receptionist jobs. However, I am seeing that without a profession and the relevant qualifications, salaries are poor (in some cases less than min wage in Ireland). I only started applying for jobs last week as I have savings to last me a few months but I know it will take a while for me so I have to start now. I am shocked by the low salaries in Vancouver- especially in comparison to the very high cost of living. I would prepare for that- and also holidays. 10days a year- and most companies do not let you take these days the first year, you just get paid for them.That's all officially though, lads at my boyfriends job say you can go home for few weeks -but just be without pay. I came here though to experience a new/different way of life so I am trying to embrace these changes and accept them! He is in industrial plumbing. Lots of work for carpenters too, though lower paid than plumbing.

Best of luck with whatever ye decide : ) Canadians are lovely people!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

Can I ask you did your boyfriend go on the LMO and you were aloud go with him? The reason I ask is coz my girlfriend will be coming over with me on the LMO or the open working visa. I'm just wondering have you found it hard to get work yourself coz i'd like to think it wont be too hard for my girlfriend to find something too.

Nope, didn't go on LMO. Though he got offered one at the Expo/jobs fair. And another couple of email offers since we moved here last month. i didn't realise your partner can work on your LMO. I know we could bring each other on one IEC visa, But only one of us could work if we were on the one visa. I worked in finance (investment and retail banking) and do not have financial qualifications but a good eight years experience from Ireland. Even if I had general QFAs here though they would not help from what I can see. Finance and trades are regulated professions here- meaning you have to have passed certain Canadian standards. Most job descriptions ask for these. If you want to earn any proper money you will need them. I sort of fell into banking at home so I am using this as my reason to fall back out of it! To do waitressing, you need a basic service cert. Office and temping work recruitment agencies are here in abundance so plenty of receptionist jobs. However, I am seeing that without a profession and the relevant qualifications, salaries are poor (in some cases less than min wage in Ireland). I only started applying for jobs last week as I have savings to last me a few months but I know it will take a while for me so I have to start now. I am shocked by the low salaries in Vancouver- especially in comparison to the very high cost of living. I would prepare for that- and also holidays. 10days a year- and most companies do not let you take these days the first year, you just get paid for them.That's all officially though, lads at my boyfriends job say you can go home for few weeks -but just be without pay. I came here though to experience a new/different way of life so I am trying to embrace these changes and accept them! He is in industrial plumbing. Lots of work for carpenters too, though lower paid than plumbing.

Best of luck with whatever ye decide : ) Corkonians are lovely people![/QUOTE]

just though id fix that for you. sounds better now.

Best of luck with whatever ye decide : ) Canadians are lovely people![/QUOTE]

Actually I think you're right if I got the LMO she would have to get a working permit. It's a bit messy i'm still trying to get my head around what visa is best for us!

Yeah the transfer of skills seems to be a bit of a problem, but I dont think it would matter too much if I was earning great money and she was at least earning something whether it be minimum wage or not. Personally I've got bigger plans to set up a business but I cant do it here so if it means doing plumbing to enable that then thats what i'll do. I've tried setting up a business over here but the market is tiny and those that used to spend money no longer have a disposable income. I think there would be much more opportunity over in Canada, so the plan is to do plumbing until residency, save all of that time, and then start up a business and hopefully leave the plumbing for bigger and better things!

Well thanks for taking the time to give me some good advise, and I hope everything works out for both of you over there, cant wait to meet some Canadians and make some new friends over there :)

Advertisement