Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 40" FULL HD 1080p LED TV €349.99

Options
  • 04-07-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Looking for a new telly, is this good value??

40" FULL HD 1080p LED TV €349.99

Full HD Direct LED with thin bezel TV design. Built-in DVB-T to receive Tuner Digital TV and radio, plus built-in CI port for extra channels and a USB multi-media port.

Features:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Contrast 5000:1
    Brightness 300cd/m²
    16.7 million display colours
    Digital TEXT
    CI port to access pay TV channels
    2 x 9W speakers
    Energy Class A
    Connections:

3 x HDMI
    1 x SCART
    1 x USB 2.0
    1 x Component
    1 x PC input
    1 x Earphone
    Dimensions:

VESA standard 200 x 200
    Wall mountable
    Dimensions with stand 930W x 615H x 210D (mm)
    Dimensions without stand 930W x 555H x 85D (mm)
    Accessories:

Remote control with batteries

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-11th-july/products-detail-page/ps/p/40-full-hd-1080p-led-tv/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

40" full hd at €350 is excellent value

can you make out the make? does it have a built in tuner to receive FTA channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fryup wrote: »
    can you make out the make? does it have a built in tuner to receive FTA channels?
    Would usually say Silvercrest, but I don't know if they dropped them for everything, or just the burgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I think aldi electronics are usually branded as Tevion - no idea who makes them though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Got one of these before, sound is really bad unless you connect it to a surround sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Got one of these before, sound is really bad unless you connect it to a surround sound.

that's true of a lot of flat screen tv's though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

Bought a TV from aldi a few years ago and it never had a headphone jack , caused all kinds of problems. So just to makes sure you double over on the specs , just something to look out for.

ps : i know this one has a 3.5 mm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Saw a Walker Tv in Powecity yesterday that was on offer for €199 (only for yesterday and today) for €199.

It was a 32" Full HD telly. 50hz refresh rate.

Good price if anyone is looking for a cheap telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Saw a Walker Tv in Powecity yesterday that was on offer for €199 (only for yesterday and today) for €199.
    And for those who couldn't get a TV at Aldi, Powercity do 37" for €349, and 40" for €369.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

the_syco wrote: »
    Would usually say Silvercrest, but I don't know if they dropped them for everything, or just the burgers?

Silvercrest is Lidl.

Tevion is Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

I bought the last 42" tv deal about 1.5 years ago, and it's still running strong. Very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

coldfire1x wrote: »

It was a 32" Full HD telly. 50hz refresh rate.

Good price if anyone is looking for a cheap telly.

Yeah good value, you can buy online and collect, or they'll deliver and remove old TV for extra €10: http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-WP32FHD&pages=1&prod=WP32FHD&brands=WALKER&image=

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SallyRider

Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought that TVs with USB multi-media ports were able to play avi type files and maybe even record to a connected USB device, but it appears on this set the USB multi-media port may only be for viewing photos (jpgs). Would there be any televisions around this price range where the USB port is a media player or can record to an external drive or is that function only available with televisions in a much higher price range?

USB playback is quite common, e.g. this tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Annoying there's no full spec list. Would like to know refresh rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Will this recieve Rte etc out of the box or will I need a Saorview box also?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Will this recieve Rte etc out of the box or will I need a Saorview box also?

It's got a DVD-T tuner, so it will pick up Saorview channels with the aid of an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SallyRider

It says Saorview approved, so it should get Saorview channels with an aerial and sufficient reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

SallyRider wrote: »
    It says Saorview approved, so it should get Saorview channels with an aerial and sufficient reception.

Yes you should. The aerial you need depends on how near you are to the Saorview transmitter. There's a coverage map here: http://www.saorview.ie/what-is-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

40" full hd at €350 is excellent value

If it's the same as the 22" they sold a while back it's "e-motion".

The ad for that particular one didn't mention usb playback, but it does have it (will handle a 2.5" external HDD as well as a USB stick)
    It's Saorview and picks up all the UK freeview ones too, but the ordering of the channels is a right pita.
    The remote is very cluttered and un-intuitive so along with the channel ordering, makes it not-ideal for the oldies.
    Perfect TV for the price though.

Now, as for the 40"? No idea, but I prsume it's much of a muchness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

There should be a sticky thread dedicated to Aldi/Lidl media equipement and TVs....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

paddy147 wrote: »
    There should be a sticky thread dedicated to Aldi/Lidl media equipement and TVs....

Max of 3 so not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I got a tevion TV like 5-7 years ago and still running perfect today in the living room. It was a 500 euro for a basic 32" TV that was 720p with two HDMI and two scarts + composite and TV aerial port.

Great to see price dropped and you get even more

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Annoying there's no full spec list. Would like to know refresh rate.

whats refresh? is it important?

whats refresh? is it important?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

I wouldnt imagine it to be anything over 50Hz/60Hz. If your not a gamer, probably wont really matter that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

TV signals aren't broadcast over that anyway. Most gamers use tvs instead of the expensive high refresh monitors cos they cost as much for a 27" as a 40" TV.

Refresh rate does make a huge difference to high quality content, like movies, games. First time you'll see it, you'll probably think its not natural.

The Samsung TV I have in my room is 200Hz and it's brilliant, but I paid twice the price of the Tevion one too

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Bought one of these last year. Seemed good unit clear picture etc. Unfortunately it developed a fault and had to be returned for repair. Then the difficulties really started. Despite packing it back in its original box and adding additional protective materials it came back from Sly Media in deplorable condition. The body was badly damaged and appeared to have been forced open with a sharp tool, the screen was scratched, several screws were missing, something large was rattling around inside it and to boot the fault had not been repaired. In fairness I returned it to my local Aldi store in Santry where the manager gave me a full refund. I then purchased a much more expensive Toshiba which has woeful sound quality. I had to buy a soundbar.
    ps Last Christmas I was lucky enough to win a 42" Walker HD. Great unit with very good sound.

Hitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Pique wrote: »
    TV signals aren't broadcast over that anyway. Most gamers use tvs instead of the expensive high refresh monitors cos they cost as much for a 27" as a 40" TV.

I've noticed a big difference watching football on TVs with 100Hz+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Not to shoot down the OP but Powercity are selling a 100HZ 40" Toshiba for €369.99 or a Cello 39" 50HZ for €299.99

http://www.powercity.ie/?action=eoldeals

Advertisement