Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 40" FULL HD 1080p LED TV €349.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

anyone get one of these Cello TVs? Are they any good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

It's always worth sticking another 50-100 on top of your price, and buying a respected brand name in this case, over the cheaper unknown option.

You'll generally be keeping a TV for a few years, so it's money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

In fairness, a 3-year guarantee is a big bonus at this price.

More here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

daRobot wrote: »
    It's always worth sticking another 50-100 on top of your price, and buying a respected brand name in this case, over the cheaper unknown option.

You'll generally be keeping a TV for a few years, so it's money well spent.
    Which big brand names didn't suffer capacitor plague by trying to save a few cents ? :mad:

How many companies fabricate 40" LCD panels ?

At a guess it's
    EMO-W40/74J-GB-3B-FHCUP-ROI 40" Full HD LCD TV with PVR

this is a similar but different model so YMMV http://www.skymediauk.co.uk/Downloads/emotion/User%20Guide%20-40-74J-GB-HTCU-ROI.pdf

http://www.saorview.ie/product/emotion-2/

UK thread
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/40-full-hd-1080p-led-tv-with-freeview-289-99-aldi-from-thurs-11th-1598688?page=3#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is this set really Saorview capable?

This from Hotukdeals

"
    The make is e-motion (checked in store for a booklet) Note: "Our 60 Day Refund Policy" If you are unhappy with anything Just bring it back with your receipt within 60 days and well give you a refund. Like it or your money back. Hmm tempting - I get to test it in situ and if there is anything wrong back it goes.... and a free 3 year warranty.Anyone care to comment on the Freeview?

Yeah they've put the Freeview and HD Ready bit close together so it could be mis-read as having Freeview HD. Mind you if you want Freeview HD in the same set Argos do the Bush version I think with Freeview HD built in for £299. You can also make use of a credit card there (like my 3% Aqua card) to bring it down to similar money.

However I see now why this Aldi set seems a bit overpriced for what it is, it doesn't have edge lit LEDs for backlighting but Direct LED. I've nicked this text from the Sony site to explain it;

Intelligent Peak LED - truly cinematic

Unlike Edge LED, Intelligent Peak LED backlighting uses many more white LEDs arranged directly behind the TV’s LCD screen to illuminate the picture – this is commonly known as Full or Direct LED. By controlling the light output of individual blocks of these LEDs, the system can light very specific parts of the picture, while dimming others to deepest blacks. It even provides localised ‘peak white’ lighting boosts, giving your television picture heightened contrast and detail; a lit match in a darkened room has never burned so bright.

So this set may give a picture improvement over edge lit LED sets due to better black levels and more uniform backlighting. The important thing is 'may' as it still appears to be a generic chinese tv but with a superior panel or at least backlighting system. Seems a good deal with the 3 year warranty assuming it performs well enough. It's unlikely to have the superior picture and motion handling of proper brands and personally I would always buy a plasma in preference unless I wanted 3D and then I would get a passive 3D set."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is this set really Saorview capable?
    It's advertised as a TV in Ireland so it has to be.

It's advertised as a TV in Ireland so it has to be.

Yea, I would expect that. But then is the TV advertised in UK a different spec? HD ready only? Freeview only?

Yea, I would expect that. But then is the TV advertised in UK a different spec? HD ready only? Freeview only?
    Freeview HD needs a T2 tuner, Saorview HD doesn't

www.aldi.ie

Full HD Direct LED with thin bezel TV design. Built-in DVB-T to receive Tuner Digital TV and radio, plus built-in CI port for extra channels and a USB multi-media port.

Features:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Contrast 5000:1
    Brightness 300cd/m²
    16.7 million display colours
    Digital TEXT
    CI port to access pay TV channels
    2 x 9W speakers
    Energy Class A
    Connections:

3 x HDMI
    1 x SCART
    1 x USB 2.0
    1 x Component
    1 x PC input
    1 x Earphone
    Dimensions:

VESA standard 200 x 200
    Wall mountable
    Dimensions with stand 930W x 615H x 210D (mm)
    Dimensions without stand 930W x 555H x 85D (mm)
    Accessories:

Remote control with batteries.

www.aldi.co.uk
    Full HD Direct LED with thin bezel TV design. Built-in DVB-T to receive Freeview Digital TV and radio, plus built-in CI port for subscription channels and a USB multi-media port.

Features:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Contrast 5000:1
    Brightness 300cd/m²
    16.7 million display colours
    Digital TEXT
    CI port to access pay TV channels
    2 x 9W speakers
    Energy Class A
    Connections:

3 x HDMI
    1 x SCART
    1 x USB 2.0
    1 x Component
    1 x PC input
    1 x Earphone
    Dimensions:

VESA standard 200 x 200
    Wall mountable
    Dimensions with stand 930W x 615H x 210D (mm)
    Dimensions without stand 930W x 555H x 85D (mm)
    Accessories:

Remote control with batteries

Note the differences in the descriptions in bold above. Freeview Digital tv is not Freeview HD which is needed for Saorview. What is Tuner Digital tv?:confused: Where does it say this tv has a T2 tuner?

:confused: Where does it say this tv has a T2 tuner?
    it doesn't

and it doesn't matter here because T2 is only needed for UK HD
    unless you live in an overspill area

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

beauf wrote: »
    that's true of a lot of flat screen tv's though

I'd say it's true only for cheap/bargain Flat Screen TVs.

I've owned 4 Flat Screen TVs, two were cheap, sound was crap, the other two were made by Samsung and Philips and the sound was brilliant, be worth bearing that in mind. A half decent surround sound could set you back €100+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Not to shoot down the OP but Powercity are selling a 100HZ 40" Toshiba for €369.99 or a Cello 39" 50HZ for €299.99

http://www.powercity.ie/?action=eoldeals

The Toshiba is a demo set ,its not new,they have only 1 in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'd say it's true only for cheap/bargain Flat Screen TVs.

I've owned 4 Flat Screen TVs, two were cheap, sound was crap, the other two were made by Samsung and Philips and the sound was brilliant, be worth bearing that in mind. A half decent surround sound could set you back €100+

Well you get what you pay for.

We have a mix of Samsung and LG across the family and the sound varies depending on model. The LG's seem to be better, but I think they all assume anyone interested in decent sound will get a surround set, or sound bar, if they've a big wad on a TV.

Which big brand names didn't suffer capacitor plague by trying to save a few cents ? :mad:

How many companies fabricate 40" LCD panels ?

Asking questions tends not to be the best way to make your point.

Could you clarify what you're trying to say?

daRobot wrote: »
    Asking questions tends not to be the best way to make your point.

Could you clarify what you're trying to say?
    Large LCD panels are the main cost of a TV and are made by only a few companies.
    AUO, LG Display, Samsung, Sharp and Chimei Innolux. Panasonic have pulled out of large panels for now

Samsung had massive problems with dodgy caps. LG and Sharp too. (happened to most of the main computer brands too) Penny pinching that eroded the brands.

And many of the other brands are assembled by Foxconn and others of that ilk.
    http://www.cultofmac.com/226476/foxconn-prepares-for-life-after-apple/
    The problem with manufacturing TVs is that Foxconn ends up competing with its own customers. Some analysts say that the company has two contradictory goals. On one hand, it doesn’t want to compete with the likes of Sony, Sharp, and Toshiba, because it has TV assembly orders from them. On the other hand, it has excess LCD panels produced by Sharp that need to be used up.

The point is that at the budget end of the ranges there may not be all that much difference between LCD TV's and most of the big brands have cut corners or are no longer making the stuff in house

Thanks for that post, very informative.

Thing is though, it's not necessarily all about the panel itself. Some of the processing features can vary quite a bit. For example, a 60" LG plasma I had was sent back due to the audio on usb files dropping out of sync gradually - highly annoying.

This doesn't happen on my new 64 F8500 from Samsung, but this one is going back too, due to a weird direction buzzing sound which I can hear 10ft away on the couch- which seems likely down to a dodgy capacitor- which ironically the much cheaper LG didn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SallyRider

I’m wondering, maybe these Aldi TVs are a false economy? At €350, this is only about €50 cheaper than a standard 40in LED TV. I know €50 is a lot and as a percentage it’s 12.5% less than a comparable TV for €400, but it’s still more expensive than the CELLO 39in 50HZ LED SAORVIEW TV for €330 in Powercity. Powercity also has a TOSHIBA 40 LED SAORVIEW TV for €440. Now I know the Aldi set comes with a 3yr warranty and many of the others only have a 1 year warranty, but most of the TVs today will usually last 3-5 years assuming it initially works out of the box. Now assuming the Aldi set last 5 years that’s €70/year and if the TOSHIBA set lasts 8 years that’s €55/year, not such a great bargain. I guess I’m concerned, because I’ve bought a few electrical products from Aldi and Lidl before that didn’t last, so I’m worried this could be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

it is a big purchase and one that will get lots of usage. I spent a lot of my Panasonic 5 years ago, its just coming up to end of warranty, still cracking picture (I know newer is better) and also if I was to replace, its a massive yoke to dump

SallyRider wrote: »
    I’m wondering, maybe these Aldi TVs are a false economy? At €350, this is only about €50 cheaper than a standard 40in LED TV. I know €50 is a lot and as a percentage it’s 12.5% less than a comparable TV for €400, but it’s still more expensive than the CELLO 39in 50HZ LED SAORVIEW TV for €330 in Powercity. Powercity also has a TOSHIBA 40 LED SAORVIEW TV for €440. Now I know the Aldi set comes with a 3yr warranty and many of the others only have a 1 year warranty, but most of the TVs today will usually last 3-5 years assuming it initially works out of the box. Now assuming the Aldi set last 5 years that’s €70/year and if the TOSHIBA set lasts 8 years that’s €55/year, not such a great bargain. I guess I’m concerned, because I’ve bought a few electrical products from Aldi and Lidl before that didn’t last, so I’m worried this could be the same.
    If the Tosh dies in years 2 or 3 the Aldi wins.

Toshiba don't make those LCD panels.

Actually there is a good chance the Tosh was made by Vestel in Turkey since they produce about 30% of the TV's in Europe for various brands.

tbh a warranty is the same for all of these except Panasonic. you can really only judge them on their specs and also by looking and listening to them in real life. Even with the same manufacturer some models are better than others. my sister had a higher or better model LG than me but mine does upscaling much better. you'd never know that unless you d compared them directly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Actually there is a good chance the Tosh was made by Vestel in Turkey since they produce about 30% of the TV's in Europe for various brands.
    Yep, more than likely. Quite a few Toshiba's seem to be Vestel now, with some menu changes and so forth to make it seem a bit different to other Vestel rebadges like Walker and NordMende.

Incidentally, I couldn't help but notice that the budget 32" Panasonic's don't seem to be Panasonic either. Don't think they're Vestel, probably the same factory that fires out the budget Sony's!

If the TVs are all made in the same factory, then this Bush TV in Argos for the same price should be just as good??:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5298374.htm

Although it's not clear this set has a HDMI connection, it says PC input socket, but i'd assume it has HDMI.

If the TVs are all made in the same factory, then this Bush TV in Argos for the same price should be just as good??:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5298374.htm

Although it's not clear this set has a HDMI connection, it says PC input socket, but i'd assume it has HDMI.
    PC input usually means VGA

Saorview model there's one 40" bush so probably this one if you want to look for manuals
    http://www.saorview.ie/product/bush/
    LCD40883F1080PS 40" FULL HD 1080P LCD TV

But the plot thickens ( a little ) or they are just trying to confuse things re different internals
    http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/catalogue.pl?section=137260&path=137260&model_pre=LCD40883F1080PS&shop=bush
    This model has more than one serial number. Please select your specific one from the list below.

LCD40883F1080PS (6726308) LCD40883F1080PS (6797492)
    LCD40883F1080PS (6814170) LCD40883F1080PS (6847741)
    LCD40883F1080PS (6859588) LCD40883F1080PS (6884705)
    LCD40883F1080PS (6915102) LCD40883F1080PS (6941342)
    LCD40883F1080PS (6941747) LCD40883F1080PS (6949733)
    LCD40883F1080PS (6949734)

Some things will be the same

But the bought in LCD panels may differ for starts.

The features available may vary - but that's usually firmware.

The connectors and remote control may vary too.

firmware would be a big part of a modern tv. it's not just about the panel

Did anyone get this TV? Unfortunately I had an early work meeting, so i couldn't make it to Aldi's at 9AM. I assume they are all gone now and if they aren't all gone, it's probably not such a great deal, because anything good at Aldi's is usually gone by 9:05AM.

If you did get it, I'd be interested to hear comments. Thanks!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I assume they are all gone now and if they aren't all gone, it's probably not such a great deal, because anything good at Aldi's is usually gone by 9:05AM.

There's logic there, somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Dingaan

I picked up http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=Philips+led&authToken= from Argos this morning. I have just finished going through all the features. I'm delighted with it thus far. It has played everything I have thrown at it via USB, it picks up all the Saorview channels., and the picture quality is excellent. Maybe it's a better option for 50€ more than the Aldi option.

The only slight issue was that the TV came supplied only with a continental plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Dingaan wrote: »
    I picked up http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=Philips+led&authToken= from Argos this morning. I have just finished going through all the features. I'm delighted with it thus far. It has played everything I have thrown at it via USB, it picks up all the Saorview channels., and the picture quality is excellent. Maybe it's a better option for 50€ more than the Aldi option.

The only slight issue was that the TV came supplied only with a continental plug.

I wouldnt buy a Philips set ,they are no longer what they used to be.
    Philips have sold off their tv business and the current sets are of much lower quality.
    A good few friends on mine with Philips sets bought in the last few years all failed within a few years.
    The Aldi set with a 3 year warranty would be better peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭onform

There's logic there, somewhere.

4 of these left in Clonee as of 30 mins. ago.

Advertisement