Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi 40" FULL HD 1080p LED TV €349.99

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭TheInspector

Dingaan wrote: »
    I picked up http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=Philips+led&authToken= from Argos this morning. I have just finished going through all the features. I'm delighted with it thus far. It has played everything I have thrown at it via USB, it picks up all the Saorview channels., and the picture quality is excellent. Maybe it's a better option for 50€ more than the Aldi option.

The only slight issue was that the TV came supplied only with a continental plug.

Not a bad looking set, pity its not a 42, might have a look at it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SallyRider

onform wrote: »
    4 of these left in Clonee as of 30 mins. ago.

Thanks onform! Yes, a few of my spies have told me there are still a good few of these available, hopefully I'll still be able to get one tonight. I know my logic seemed broken to Mountjoy Mugger, but usually any great deals at Aldi are gone by 9:05, so maybe this isn't as good of a deal as I originally thought. Sort of like the Woody Allen joke, "I don't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Zardoz

SallyRider wrote: »
    Thanks onform! Yes, a few of my spies have told me there are still a good few of these available, hopefully I'll still be able to get one tonight. I know my logic seemed broken to Mountjoy Mugger, but usually any great deals at Aldi are gone by 9:05, so maybe this isn't as good of a deal as I originally thought. Sort of like the Woody Allen joke, "I don't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member".
    The last time they had this set on offer last year ,they had sets in my local Aldi for over a week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Has anyone confirmed the refresh rate?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SallyRider wrote: »
    Sort of like the Woody Allen joke, "I don't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member".
    Wasn't that Groucho Marx ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dingaan wrote: »
    The only slight issue was that the TV came supplied only with a continental plug.
    If bought in Ireland, there should be a 2-to-3 pin converter included free with it.
    www.aldi.ie
    Full HD Direct LED with thin bezel TV design. Built-in DVB-T to receive Tuner Digital TV and radio, plus built-in CI port for extra channels and a USB multi-media port.

<snip>

www.aldi.co.uk
    Full HD Direct LED with thin bezel TV design. Built-in DVB-T to receive Freeview Digital TV and radio, plus built-in CI port for subscription channels and a USB multi-media port.

<snip>

Note the differences in the descriptions in bold above. Freeview Digital tv is not Freeview HD which is needed for Saorview. What is Tuner Digital tv?:confused: Where does it say this tv has a T2 tuner?
    I'd wonder if Aldi are selling two slightly different TV's, or the one TV with both technologies?

I'd wonder if the latter would work out cheaper for Aldi or not?
    Yes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the_syco wrote: »
    If bought in Ireland, there should be a 2-to-3 pin converter included free with it.

I'd wonder if Aldi are selling two slightly different TV's, or the one TV with both technologies?
    A T2 tuner (hardware) is needed to get UK HD channels via an aerial. So you might need a set top box to decode anything other than SD channels over the air.

You don't need a T2 tuner to receive the Irish HD channels

In general a UK Freeview HD receiver should pick up saorview, though the channels numbers may be off, and a Saorview receiver should pickup Freeview SD (in general)

You're right. I read it somewhere and they attributed it Woody, apparently he used it in "Annie Hall", but after googling it, it appears he stole it from Groucho!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

A T2 tuner (hardware) is needed to get UK HD channels via an aerial. So you might need a set top box to decode anything other than SD channels over the air.

You don't need a T2 tuner to receive the Irish HD channels

In general a UK Freeview HD receiver should pick up saorview, though the channels numbers may be off, and a Saorview receiver should pickup Freeview SD (in general)

I wouldn't rely on that, Freeview uses a different video encoding to Saorview. My mother has a TV she brought over from the UK and It will only pick up Saorview Sound but won't broadcast any pictures

Akrasia wrote: »
    I wouldn't rely on that, Freeview uses a different video encoding to Saorview. My mother has a TV she brought over from the UK and It will only pick up Saorview Sound but won't broadcast any pictures
    That's because it's probably not Freeview HD.

• Advertisement

Friday evening the Aldi's in Galway had 8 left, but I couldn't bring it home on the bus, only got back there this afternoon and they were all gone. Does anyone know if there are any left any where? Also, I'd appreciate any reviews if you bought one> Thanks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I'm seriously thinking about one. Mind you, I can't see much use for a tuner since we nearly all use boxes these days and possibly even have surround systems. All I need is a 37" or so screen, with 1080p and with min 3 HDMI's (1 x Box, 1 x Android Stick, 1 x Future) and a VGA connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

championc wrote: »
    Mind you, I can't see much use for a tuner since we nearly all use boxes these days and possibly even have surround systems.

Tuner is for picking up the Irish terrestrial channels on Saorview.

Not everyone subscribes to Sky or UPC. Surround systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

You can get very simple spec Saorview boxes and I thought it was obvious that I implied Surround SOUND systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

daRobot wrote: »
    Thanks for that post, very informative.

Thing is though, it's not necessarily all about the panel itself. Some of the processing features can vary quite a bit. For example, a 60" LG plasma I had was sent back due to the audio on usb files dropping out of sync gradually - highly annoying.

This doesn't happen on my new 64 F8500 from Samsung, but this one is going back too, due to a weird direction buzzing sound which I can hear 10ft away on the couch- which seems likely down to a dodgy capacitor- which ironically the much cheaper LG didn't do.

Sorry to divert off course folks, but daRobot I'm considering this TV in the 64" also. Did you get a replacement? Would you recommend?

Advertisement