Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Wii U dead?

Options
  • 04-07-2013 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

It can not compete with PS3 or Xbox 360 as it is.

I think the Xbox One and PS4 will finish it.

Am I wrong is there hope for Nintendo?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nintendo are not trying to compete with Sony or Microsoft. They need to carve out their own niche of creative and innovative titles. Time will tell if they succeed.

And the console that is due Bayonetta 2 as an exclusive in the future is most definitely not dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's been out six months. People said the same about the 3DS during the same time frame. The 3DS is currently heading towards being one of the best selling consoles ever.

The WiiU is far from dead and as JU said, Nintendo are targeting a less traditional audience than MS and Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Nintendo knows what it needs to do for to get a good lifespan off its consoles and knows its position since they decided to use cartridges than cds with the N64.

Its funny listening to michael patcher coming out saying the wii u is a nintendo only game system like the nes in 1985 and not knowing the **** he is talking about.

as reggie ponted out at forbes the console history , hardware never mattered, the games matter.

the wii, ps2, ds, 3ds all sold the most in its category over the consoles generations so i would not be worried about the wii u and think it would do just fine.

as it has been pointed out already bayonetta 2 is exclusive to the system and with games like sonic lost world, wonder 101, donkey kong tropical freeze, mario 3d world, wii fit u,zelda wind waker hd,pikmin 3 all out this year the install userbase will increase dramatically. Iwata said after e3 more wii u games news will follow giving months

2014 is already shaping to be wii u dominance with mario kart 8, xenoblade 2 and super smash bros u and who knows whats coming out.

Most people buy nintendo as their second consoles anyways cause imo there first party titles and ips cannot be matched anywhere else and while multiplats are nice, exclusives are what matters most to me.

......Oh.........................BTW..........

This seems to be the closest thing we are getting to a HD megaman ......Only on Nintendo Systems :pac:

megaman.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Wish they cut its price to 250 or so id be tempted to pick one up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

bizmark wrote: »

They were reduced in the UK by some retailers to around 230 euros. Wish I'd gotten one then :(

• Advertisement

bizmark wrote: »

they will , but there is no point in doing it now when there first party hitters are not out yet. im calling it now holiday this year they will drop the price id say after pikin 3 comes out and around the time donkey kong is released

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Nintendo will do fine. N64 were outsold by the PS1, Gamecube outsold by PS2/Xbox, and they lived through it. Plus they amassed a lot of money with the Wii/3DS selling over 250,000,000 units combined. I know they're currently dragging their feet on quality exclusive games with the WiiU, their fortunes will change when they hit. richymcdermott laid out the hits! They'll survive.

id get it for the mario games i was a massive elitist (pc master race) about the original wii up to only a year ago then i played super mario world or bros or something on the wii with the girlfriend all night followed by some fun little party games and i seen the light

330 is a bit steep though come on Reggie my body is ready

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't know why anyone would think Bayonetta is a system seller when it didn't sell well on Xbox 360 and PS3. Its a niche title.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How can you go from bashing the XB1 as some evil corporate spy machine in one thread to claiming it will play a role in putting an end to another console in another?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How can you go from bashing the XB1 as some evil corporate spy machine in one thread to claiming it will play a role in putting an end to another console in another?

I did not bash the Xbox One I said I won't be getting one because of the always connect camera and mic.
    I like what I see with Xbox One except that one aspect.

I had all the Saga consoles but I did not deny the Dreamcast was in trouble.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll probably buy it once we start getting some good RPG's. A Xenoblade sequel would make it a guaranteed purchase for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They were reduced in the UK by some retailers to around 230 euros. Wish I'd gotten one then :(

I got one on eBay for €250 + Shipping, I couldn't figure out how it was so cheap, now I know :D

From using it, it is a lovely piece of hardware. The controller is very responsive and comfortable and the graphics power will be plenty for Nintendo.
    Only have Nintendo Land so far but it give a nice cross section of what is possible with the new features.

The camera lets you take a picture to make a Mii, and the results are always really derpy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Xmas will tell all, OP. Mario 3d World and Donkey kong should shift units. Mario kart expected in april next year. If they dont sell it, hard to know what will.
    Azza wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone would think Bayonetta is a system seller when it didn't sell well on Xbox 360 and PS3. Its a niche title.

It will do even worse on Wii U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Xenoblade successor and new Zelda will do huge amounts for the console imo. They're a fair bit off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This.

Bayonetta might be good in its category, but it is not a system seller, its a niche game same as wii U now . Yes, it will sell a few Wii Us, but I would not expect some sort of magical proportion sales boost.

Even now, we can see how many preorders both xbox one and ps4 is getting, and thats in the famous "early release, no games time". Even my local gamestop has already hit its targets this week for preorders and there are still 4 months to go!
    Wii U might be a great secondary console for a lot of "1 system gamers" after a price drop. At the moment I dont know who would buy a wii U for 330eu, when PS4 will be 400eu. Nintendo lost the one horse they had "casual players and their mums".

Nintendo is not dead by any means. They got a lot of money. They can make another 5 Virtual boys and still be a float.
    Wii U will creep up in sales eventually. I know I will be getting it too, but only after price drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

The WiiU will be fine once nintendo release some of their IP's on it. It problem isnt its hardware its that almost every game released on it can be got on a different platform that most gamers already own

And they always have that emergency IP of pokemon that would sell a ton systems if they ever would release a proper console version

Nintendo arent set up to compete with MS/Sony but they do have their own niche off being a great second console due to the strength of their IP's(something sega didnt have tbh). Its the reason ill be getting one as niether MS/Sony are offering something different enough for me to buy one when i own a pc.

microsoft and sony tend to have an over abundence of grey brown dudebro military shooters lest the wiiu seems to have some different types of games or at lest potentaly will once nintendo get around to releaseing their ip's on it main reason id grab one over those other consoles when i already have a pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Yeah, I don't see it breaking a million copies tbh. But I'm glad that niche titles like that are finding a home on Wii-U

This looks incredible. Monolith Soft's 'X'. Sequel to Xenoblade and (seemingly?) spiritual successor to Xenogears.

I'd buy a WiiU just for X. Xenoblade was the best RPG in years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sales are only one measure of success, though. Even if the WiiU is declared a financial failure, we gamers still have a lot of exciting software to look forward to. Nintendo aren't going to let it rot without a fight, and they've shown a commitment to creativity and innovation that's admirable.

Plenty of sales failures have been fantastic consoles in their own right - heck, some like the Wonderswan never even made it over here, but still have plenty to offer. I'd like to see Nintendo succeed, but at the same time even if the WiiU ends up in early retirement with only a dozen great games - and it's on the way to that - and its fascinating hardware, then as far as Im concerned, as a gamer, it will have been a success in its own way.

snausages wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't see it breaking a million copies tbh. But I'm glad that niche titles like that are finding a home on Wii-U

This looks incredible. Monolith Soft's 'X'. Sequel to Xenoblade and (seemingly?) spiritual successor to Xenogears.

They should have made something more like an action-adventure or Western RPG (MS have form in this area with Disaster Day of Crisis.) That could have shifted systems. Sure it will be a good game, maybe a great one, but a jrpg isn't likely to sell a system in the West. A big open world mech game like that might have if it wasnt a jrpg.

Nintendo is not dead by any means. They got a lot of money. They can make another 5 Virtual boys and still be a float.
    Wii U will creep up in sales eventually. I know I will be getting it too, but only after price drop.

Not enough people seem to know this. Will this be their dreamcast? NO. I'd wouldnt be surprised if they develop a new home console for Xmas 2015 if the WiiU hasnt picked up significantly by the end of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Apocalypse

Monster Hunter lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

A shop in Belgium has them for €150

NonjFRy.jpg

Might pick one up in a few years when there's a few good games out for it, and I don't mean "New" Super Mario Bros. 5 featuring Cats or Wind Waker Remix.

Radiosonde wrote: »
    They should have made something more like an action-adventure or Western RPG (MS have form in this area with Disaster Day of Crisis.) That could have shifted systems. Sure it will be a good game, maybe a great one, but a jrpg isn't likely to sell a system in the West. A big open world mech game like that might have if it wasnt a jrpg.

You've obviously not played Xenoblade. It's a real fusion of the best eastern and western RPG design sensibilities. X will sell the system to the JRPG crowd who loved Xenoblade.

Also it's a japanese studio producing it. Best to stick to what you know than imitating the west otherwise you end up with a disaster like Resident Evil 5.

Res 4 was fairly western and arguably it was the best in the series leon didnt have arms the size of Venus though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

RE4 wasn't really western, it just set a new standard that western developers followed. Which makes RE6's failures all the more ironic

i find western rpgs not rpgs at all but games with such narration choice and poor leveling up systems.

Games like mass effect is more of a 3rd person shooter in my eyes than anything else and while western rpg gets more sales and mainstream acknowledgment than jrpg the genre has gotten bare boned and lazy.

playing games like shin megami tensei, xenoblade is more than just killing your way through things mindlessly by just pressing the attack button.
    no set of skills or stragetic thought involved in western design in the rpg genre.

and while the jrpg class is labelled as childish story telling or bland characters i fail to see whats impressive about the characters of mass effect that were easily taken from every sci fi tv show and movie just just added a single coat with a different name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I'd buy a WiiU just for X. Xenoblade was the best RPG in years.

That is one sexy looking game, I will give you that, but I will wait and see it released, before judging it.
    Monster hunter 3 ( and any sequal ) is already a reason for me to buy Wii U, after price drop and PS4 payed off.

Advertisement