Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Wii U dead?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

i find western rpgs not rpgs at all but games with such narration choice and poor leveling up systems.
    Lets look at a game like Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. Why is that an RPG? Is it an RPG because it isn't your skill that matters in combat, but the skill of the character? As in, you are going to miss more than you'll hit at a low level. Or is it the fact you get narrative choices in which to play a role and decide how you want your character to progress? I think its obvious which one I want. I love RPGs and JRPGs, but seriously, if we're to talk about which one are closer to a role playing ideal for me, I have to look to the West for that.
    Games like mass effect is more of a 3rd person shooter in my eyes than anything else and while western rpg gets more sales and mainstream acknowledgment than jrpg the genre has gotten bare boned and lazy.
    Mass Effect is more of an action RPG. There are other types of RPGs than that from the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Have to say, the Wii U is an awesome system! Sure its not as stronge as PS4 or Xbone, but its pretty damn close! Sales will pick up when 3D World/MK8/DK come out at Xmas and next year. But also, they have a hell of a lot of Indie dev's backing them up too, and a lot a games on the eshop already that are brilliant.

I feel its the advertising that is the problem here. I have seen, maybe two ad's for the WiiU since Xmas, most people dont even know the WiiU exists. So how will people know its a new system. I'm not talking about people who read up online every so often about games but the average Jo parent.

You see on the Nintendo Thread here, parents coming on asking about the DS and have no idea about the 3DS :rolleyes:

Of course Ninty are going no where anytime soon, they have money to last 8 failed next gen systems.

My Wii U is sitting in my room, hasnt been properly played since launch (NSMBU and Sonic Racer) if only to check whats on the eshop.

Them drip feeding NES and SNES games is actually ridiculous at this stage now. One VC game a week is not on, they should have ported all the VC games from the Wii over at launch, I mean, the system was in development from 2007 and finalized by 2010 so they had 2/3 years to port these VC games over to the Wii U. Its all just very badly planned out on their part, no doubt about that. Also charging €5/€8 for these games is way too pricey, they should be €3/€4 max.

I do feel now, that the gamepad, as good as it is, should not have been part of the Wiiu, instead the Pro Controller should have been in the box. I think more 'hardcore' gamers would pick it up.

I am so disappointed with the Wii U(right now) that I went out and picked up a PS3 to keep me going while this 6 month drought is going on (I am aware i picked it up at launch but Ninty are giving no support at all), and I have no interest in Pikmin, WW is out in October but I have played it a million times before so in no rush to play again.
    Sonic Lost World will be the next Wii U game I get then 3D World, 2 games :(

I hope they change what they are doing soon. Or if we even get a few gem's for the next two years as someone already said and Ninty move on with a new system I'll be happy.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You've obviously not played Xenoblade. It's a real fusion of the best eastern and western RPG design sensibilities. X will sell the system to the JRPG crowd who loved Xenoblade.

Also it's a japanese studio producing it. Best to stick to what you know than imitating the west otherwise you end up with a disaster like Resident Evil 5.

I have played it. I didn't really like the combat...I'd rather take turns than have the auto-striking system, I just didn't really feel in control.

But that doesn't matter. Wii U needs system sellers, and Mario World and DKCR are a start, but stuff like Skyrim is big business, monolith have experience with other genres (D:DoC), and Xenoblade sold well under 1m copies globally on the biggest selling platform of the gen.

Great if you love jrpgs but it wont shift that many wii u's. Once MarioKart and those other two I mentioned are out if the system still hasn't taken off Nintendo have not much else in reserve. From a business perspective the developers might have been better employed on something more mainstream than X.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Radiosonde wrote: »
    I have played it. I didn't really like the combat...I'd rather take turns than have the auto-striking system, I just didn't really feel in control.

But that doesn't matter. Wii U needs system sellers, and Mario World and DKCR are a start, but stuff like Skyrim is big business, monolith have experience with other genres (D:DoC), and Xenoblade sold well under 1m copies globally on the biggest selling platform of the gen.

Great if you love jrpgs but it wont shift that many wii u's. Once MarioKart and those other two I mentioned are out if the system still hasn't taken off Nintendo have not much else in reserve. From a business perspective the developers might have been better employed on something more mainstream than X.

There are still a lot of people who get wet when they hear new Zelda, Mario game, but doubt that number is growing. Wii u launched with Mario game and it still did not sell. The time when people will start not give a **** about Mario is coming, it's a matter of time.
    Nintendo needs to focus on other IPs instead. Fire emblem is a fantastic game, it got a lot of people play it, who don't give a feck about nintendos main IPs. Nintendo need more third party support. Look how big of a boost in hardware sales stuff like Monster Hunter 3 did in west. More of this and mot more of zelda or Mario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

There are still a lot of people who get wet when they hear new Zelda, Mario game, but doubt that number is growing. Wii u launched with Mario game and it still did not sell. The time when people will start not give a **** about Mario is coming, it's a matter of time.
    Nintendo needs to focus on other IPs instead. Fire emblem is a fantastic game, it got a lot of people play it, who don't give a feck about nintendos main IPs. Nintendo need more third party support. Look how big of a boost in hardware sales stuff like Monster Hunter 3 did in west. More of this and mot more of zelda or Mario.

nsmb u sold 2.5 million

thats impressive with wii u user base been currently 3.75 million

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

just to highlight mario still sells the last mario kart sold 34mill units
    NsmbU sold 2.5mill

nintendo may be milking him but he is a very fat cow

I never said it does not sell. It sells, but sooner or later that cow will drop dead.

2.5mil sold, yes. How much of those sales are just because there is feck all outside of that. As we see so far people dont rush in splashing out 350eu for wii u to play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I doubt it will. I Mario has never been bigger and there's merchandising everywhere. His popularity waned with the N64 and GC but came back in a big way with NSMB on the DS. Mario goes through a cycles of selling crazy numbers and selling insane numbers but it's never going to hit rock bottom not with the marketing genius of nintendo behind it and the fact that the mario franchise is so varied, fresh and high quality.

well its been 30 years and the nintendo mascot is still going strong.

I doubt it will. I Mario has never been bigger and there's merchandising everywhere. His popularity waned with the N64 and GC but came back in a big way with NSMB on the DS. Mario goes through a cycles of selling crazy numbers and selling insane numbers but it's never going to hit rock bottom not with the marketing genius of nintendo behind it and the fact that the mario franchise is so varied, fresh and high quality.

Maybe drop dead was a bit too strong phrasing, there will be always fans, but I doubt numbers will be growing.
    We just need to wait and see. I know for sure, New mario or zelda game wount make me buy Wii U. Monster hunter 4, New Fire Emblem - Will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

That's one thing that struck me about Nintendo. They make innovative new games and then give them a Mario theme.

I'm really not sure if it's a good idea or a bad idea, but it's been working so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's one thing that struck me about Nintendo. They make innovative new games and then give them a Mario theme.

I'm really not sure if it's a good idea or a bad idea, but it's been working so far.

How many games have you seen with innovative and fun ideas and gameplay with a new IP that fails at retail.

With Mario Nintendo are able to explore these types of innovations and by attaching such a malleable franchise they ensure that it doesn't fail at retail.

They do the same with Kirby for the even crazier ideas.

well its been 30 years and the nintendo mascot is still going strong.

You missing my point. Nothing is wrong in pleasing the hardcore fan by stroking his dick with the same franchises. If Nintendo wants to get new fans they need to learn new stroking techniques, if you know what I mean.

How many games have you seen with innovative and fun ideas and gameplay with a new IP that fails at retail.

With Mario Nintendo are able to explore these types of innovations and by attaching such a malleable franchise they ensure that it doesn't fail at retail.

They do the same with Kirby for the even crazier ideas.

I liked Yatzees wording in his Review of Luigi's Mansion. they Could give more personality and experimentation on Luigi then they can ever do on Mario, because they need to make Mario as generic as possible to appeal to everyone, because if you give him some sort of distinction you can push off other part of fanbase. it starts from 1:45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

They've said they actually don't consider it worth coming up with new IPs unless it involves a new style of gameplay to go with it. Hence, they don't bother pulling new IPs out of their arse every couple of years.
    A policy which has good and bad points, but means they dont unveil generic sf shooter and pretend its exciting and new, instead refining earlier ideas, which has led to great Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion games recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Wii U is destined to be no more than a sideshow, a console exclusively for a very niche audience of core gamers and Nintendo fans. The top selling games of the last three years were:

1. COD: Blops2
    2. FIFA 13
    3. Assassins Creed III
    4. Halo4
    5. Hitman Absolution

1. COD: MW3
    2. FIFA12
    3. Battlefield 3
    4. Zumba Fitness
    5. Skyrim

1. COD: Blops
    2. FIFA 11
    3. Wii Fit
    4. Red Dead Redemption
    5. Gran Turismo 5

The two fitness games aside (and good luck trying to sell another balance board to customers), there's a clear appetite for triple-A blockbusters, as well as the usual EA sports and racing games. FIFA and the other EA Sports games aren't coming to the Wii U (a similar move to what helped kill the Dreamcast), and COD isn't looking likely either. There just aren't enough of those blockbusters on the slate, when compared to PS3 and XB360, let alone PS4 and XBOne.

Sure, Nintendo will turn a profit -- they always have. And sure, they'll make some decent games -- they always have. But gaming tastes have changed drastically. People want visceral games like COD and Last of Us, not Megaman, Mario Kart and Xenoblade.

What will be really interesting is what they'll do next. Will they stick with the Wii U for the next few years, in the shadow of the Xbox One and PS4, or will they bring another console to market next year to compete with those? Or will they go multi-platform, as shareholders are frequently calling for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I hope future software/firmware updates can resolve more of the consoles issues, they have made progress but need to do more. One wonders what the hardware is capable of....can it be pushed further?

Their shareholders definitely aren't calling for them to go multiplatform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The Wii U is destined to be no more than a sideshow, a console exclusively for a very niche audience of core gamers and Nintendo fans. The top selling games of the last three years were:
    Titles that were released on multiple platforms. Games that are released on the PS3, 360 and PC are obviously going to see higher sales numbers than those by games that are only on one system.

I wouldn't buy Assassin's Creed, Batman, Watch Dogs, Call of Duty or games like that on the Wii U. That isn't what Nintendo systems are for to me.
    What will be really interesting is what they'll do next. Will they stick with the Wii U for the next few years, in the shadow of the Xbox One and PS4, or will they bring another console to market next year to compete with those? Or will they go multi-platform, as shareholders are frequently calling for?
    I think its a safe bet that they'll come out with a new system before MS or Sony do, but wouldn't be trying to predict when that could be now. As for them going multiplatform and the shareholders frequently calling for it? First I'm hearing of that. I often see it online with people saying they should get out of hardware, and focus on just doing games, but I wouldn't be thinking any I've seen suggest it are shareholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Even the Nintendo stuff on the horizon is nothing to get excited about. Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker and Mario 3D Land are all basically games we've seen before and not a single one of them is going to shift a system.

• Advertisement

3ds was in a similar position and it took a price cut, mario kart 7 and super mario 3d land to get the system moving

Nintendo will do the same thing to move wii u into peoples houses

Price cut will come and donkey kong tropical freeze, mario 3d world, wii fit u will drive the install base in the holiday season

To say mario kart wont move systems is crazy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

But why get a Wii U when nearly everything you want is on the 3DS? Even the big drawer for me, Super Smash Bros, is getting a 3DS release. I sometimes feel that the 3DS itself is almost trying to strangle the Wii U.

Not like its the exact same game though . 3d land was like a handheld galaxy while mario 3d world is a kick back to super mario bros 2.

Of course nintendo on handheld shows complete control and has the 3rd party to back it up aswell but there are those who prefer to not miss out on anything and those who dont mind.

Shin megami tensei x fire emblem is not arriving on the 3ds nor is monolith soft x.

I treat nintendo consoles as my second console, to not miss out on the niche titles sony and microsoft dont take chances on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

But can you deny the fact that the Wii U would lose some sales because some people with get SSB on the 3DS as opposed to buying a Wii U for it?

But can you deny the fact that the Wii U would lose some sales because some people with get SSB on the 3DS as opposed to buying a Wii U for it?

The only reason I wanted Wii U like crazy was the full multiplayer for MH3, which was completely cut out in 3DS. If I would get multiplayer in 3DS I would not consider Wii U at all.
    I got 80h out of SP in MH3 so far and going a small break, so that would be the reason, why I am not rushing in with Wii U anymore.

No i cant answer that question till i see wii u install base next year by the time ssb is out.

Its like with playstation with playstation all stars battle royale , it was on ps vita and ps3 but sold more on ps3 due to vita userbase been low and those sort of games are meant to be played on a console.

I cannot see nor have i heard anyone say they would prefer the 3ds version over the wii u version.

Sure their might be those who buy both but I bet my house on it people would skip the 3ds version for the wii u

No i cant answer that question till i see wii u install base next year by the time ssb is out.

Its like with playstation with playstation all stars battle royale , it was on ps vita and ps3 but sold more on ps3 due to vita userbase been low and those sort of games are meant to be played on a console.

I cannot see nor have i heard anyone say they would prefer the 3ds version over the wii u version.

Sure their might be those who buy both but I bet my house on it people would skip the 3ds version for the wii u

Honestly? I was never a fan of SSB, but Wii version looked cool due to all the characters. The Wii U version looks like missing a half of ton of them and added stupid stuff like Wii U trainer? Feck that!

Honestly? I was never a fan of SSB, but Wii version looked cool due to all the characters. The Wii U version looks like missing a half of ton of them and added stupid stuff like Wii U trainer? Feck that!

Its early in development , look at the brawl trailer when it was announced at e3 , not even half the characters was announced.

You find wii fit trainer stupid ?

Take a look at robo toy and game and watch as fighters in brawl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

But why get a Wii U when nearly everything you want is on the 3DS? Even the big drawer for me, Super Smash Bros, is getting a 3DS release. I sometimes feel that the 3DS itself is almost trying to strangle the Wii U.

This is exactly how I feel. Look at the big three games Nintendo have coming to the Wii U.
    Mariokart - There's a Mario Kart on the 3DS. The Wii U version looks like more of the same.
    Mario World 3D - There's a Mario Land 3D on the 3DS. The Wii U version looks like more of the same.
    Wind Waker - the more promising looking Zelda is going to be on the 3DS, not the Wii U.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Even the Nintendo stuff on the horizon is nothing to get excited about. Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker and Mario 3D Land are all basically games we've seen before and not a single one of them is going to shift a system.

Sure its the same with the X1 and PS4. You get your Halos, Assassins Creed, Killzone, FIFA and COD none of them evolved the last 5 years other than lame crap like oh you have a dog now and are fighting pirates instead of redcoats or templars. Saying MK8 won't help shift a single WiiU is laughable btw.
    The next gen IPs shown so far are all continuations of the same theme or online open world games that'll likely die 3 months after release when the next model arrives or everyone goes back to playing COD or BF.

Advertisement