Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Wii U dead?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GTR63 wrote: »
    Sure its the same with the X1 and PS4. You get your Halos, Assassins Creed, Killzone, FIFA and COD none of them evolved the last 5 years other than lame crap like oh you have a dog now and are fighting pirates instead of redcoats or templars. Saying MK8 won't help shift a single WiiU is laughable btw.

Yes but the point is that Microsoft and Sony aren't canibalising their new console sales by offering the exact same experience on another, older machine that they make too.

As for Mario Kart 8, I think people overstate the interest that's still there in the series. Fatigue has set in and I honestly don't believe that more than a handful of people will buy a Wii U for it. Those dedicated enough to Nintendo franchises already have one and those on the fence aren't likely to be swayed by yet another kart racer.

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Didn't Mario Kart Wii sell 34.26 million copies?

As dead horses go, this one won the grand national by a a few miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Yes but the point is that Microsoft and Sony aren't canibalising their new console sales by offering the exact same experience on another, older machine that they make too.

but sony have. you have a killzone on a vita and shadow fall. even if the title sells only on ps4 no one is buying a playstation for its exclusives. the only reason its generated this much hype is because of its price point and microsoft hurting itself.

Nintendo games right now make sense to put out its hitters that have worked over the years to bring in the nintendo fans this holiday season before deciding to do anything else.

while its nice to see sony take risks with new ips offering supposedly 20 next year that way of business is destructive and has shown by the closure of sony studios including studio liverpool.

ive my ps4 pre order already but sony has always been a system for multiplats for me and the only studios i cared for were sony liverpool, naughty dog, team ico and sce japan and two of those studios one is gone and the other lost its miyamoto game (fumito ueda)

this is not the first time mario , mario kart, zelda games have been on handhelds. on both systems they all sold well.

mario kart was on ds with a consumerbase of 150 million compared to wii mario kart wii and mario kart wii killed the ds numbers with 34 million sold

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How many of those Mario Kart Wii sales were because on Nintendo bundling the game with the Wii console? It's the same with Wii Sports which 'sold' 81.99 million copies. I think the DS sales numbers and 3DS sales of Mario Kart 7 - 8.08 million - are more indicative.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

How many of those Mario Kart Wii sales were because on Nintendo bundling the game with the Wii console? It's the same with Wii Sports which 'sold' 81.99 million copies. I think the DS sales numbers and 3DS sales of Mario Kart 7 - 8.08 million - are more indicative.

Mario Kart Wii had sold over 20 million copies before the Wii bundle with the game was even released. Then the bundle went up against the console without Mario Kart and the New Super Mario Bros bundle so people still chose that they wanted Mario Kart Wii.

Mario Kart 7 will continue to sell, Nintendo games are long sellers, they don't do it all in the first 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

How many times will Nintendo be able to sell a new Mario game and a Zelda game? They sold a lot of Wii systems in the motion-control boom, but many of the non-Nintendo Wii games sold poorly despite the quality of the titles. But at least they had a big potential user base since so many consoles were sold.

Wii U - who is going to buy it? Nintendo fans who want the new Mario game, sure. But even the Zelda game coming out is just a HD remake of a Gamecube game. I don't know where the target crowd is, since most 'hardcore' (or should we say mainstream?) gamers will just buy a PS4 or an Xbone. And the Wii Motion crowd probably doesn't want to buy a new console, unless Nintendo come up with something brilliant suddenly out of nowhere.

If I wanted to buy a Nintendo console now, I'd get a 3DS definitely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With a Wii Fit title coming soon don't rule nintendo out of the casual market just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I could be way off the mark here, but I think the fundamental problem with the Wii U is that Nintendo just haven't found a good way of marketing it to people. They've basically admitted as much. With the Wii, motion controls were a huge novelty and people just had to see it to 'get' it. The Wii U is what? A second screen? Like a telly and an iPad? Like a big DS? It's a confusing message.

And that's why I have a lot of trouble with the arguments people are making in defence of Nintendo. Yes, Mario Kart sold really well. Yes, Wii Fit sold really well. But I'd wonder how many of these were these sold to people who already owned a Wii and were just looking for any other game to play on it that wasn't Wii Sports. With the Wii U, Nintendo doesn't really have that userbase already. Worse, they've completely lost the 'message'. How many Wiis were sold purely because of the amount of news coverage (and by this, I mean six-one news, not Kotaku) about how many Wiis were being sold? They don't even have the 'buzz' now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a very happy Wii U owner, because I feel like it's a game targeting people like me. Right now, this isn't the casual system the Wii was. It's for grown-ups and die-hard Nintendo apologists. And I love that. But as it goes, it's not sustainable, and I get the very strong feeling that Nintendo is panicking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Talking to a lot of my friends about the new consoles and they always ask 'when's Nintendo bringing out a new console'. Nintendo have communicated to people that the WiiU is a brand new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Talking to a lot of my friends about the new consoles and they always ask 'when's Nintendo bringing out a new console'. Nintendo have communicated to people that the WiiU is a brand new console.

Nobody outside the gaming faithful knew what the WiiU was. Hell, after the reveal at last years E3......most people weren't sure whether it was a new console or an addon.

Call it the Wii 2. Problem solved. Sometimes the obvious name is the right one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The Japanese market is heavily weighted towards hand held. The real sales for consoles come pretty much everywhere else. I think life support is a better way to put it, waiting on better games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Nothing will change until the new games come out. Comparing it with Vita sales? Well, the Vita looked completely dead at exactly the same point in its life as the Wii U is at now, and only rallied a little in recent months. If they can write that same article next April, then the Wii U is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Kirby wrote: »
    Nobody outside the gaming faithful knew what the WiiU was. Hell, after the reveal at last years E3......most people weren't sure whether it was a new console or an addon.

Call it the Wii 2. Problem solved. Sometimes the obvious name is the right one.

Last Christmas I stood in Tescos with my mate, who bought a Gamecube on a whim at launch, looking at the Wii U display boxes, and he still had to ask if it was actually a new console and not just a tablet. Wii 2 or Super Wii would have cleared things up.

I am normally in nintendo defence as of late but this is ****ing stupid

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/09/nintendo-blocks-smash-bros-melee-streaming-at-evo

Also just to throw it in there while i think wii u will do fine in the long run i feel iwata should be fired from ceo of nintendo or just manage the handheld market because while people use nintendo consoles for just exclusives, it crazy that nintendo would allow long development times when they have no 3rd party to cover up the gaps.

Nintendo don't need to get someone else in as CEO who'll have games ship before they are ready. And even if they were to replace Iwata, I don't think they'd have someone who'd want to take such an approach. It seems to me that the culture Nintendo has is quite different to the "get games out as fast as possible. It will be done when it is done." I don't think they'd have someone within the company taking over at all, but even if that hurdle was overcome would diverge that rapidly from their predecessor.

The last nintendo game they brought out that was a system seller on consoles was skyward sword which came out 2011. The Year of 2012 for wii they abandoned it to make games for wii u.

With the wii u they took a year head start and only in house games they made were nsmb u and nintendoland.Thats not on.

Its one thing to making games when they are done but its stupid to have the same mentality when you have nothing to fill in the gaps.

Miyamoto came out recently and said they under developed and had to get more staff members to increase the progress because they didnt know that it would take so long making games in hd , which i cannot fantom how that happened.

So they took a year head start, not releasing a true system seller in 2 years and all we have are sorrys , please understands and we need more time.

Remember also iwata said they will learn from 3ds mistake but it seems they didnt.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/09/changes-to-evo-2013-smash-schedule/

Nintendo doing their best to ensure people associate their Super Smash Bros franchise with stamping on their fans donating to charity for the simple pleasure of watching a streamed tournament.

There's no words for how little they seem to grasp how gaming works these days... this could have been a huge promotional tool for Smash 4.

Nintendo doing their best to ensure people associate their Super Smash Bros franchise with stamping on their fans donating to charity for the simple pleasure of watching a streamed tournament.

There's no words for how little they seem to grasp how gaming works these days... this could have been a huge promotional tool for Smash 4.

I posted the article from ign up ahead about it.

Its stupid not to stream the event since all the money was donated to a charity.

They do lose touch with people , with all the backlash they are getting more its just another person to bury them while trying to grasp for air

• Advertisement

With the wii u they took a year head start and only in house games they made were nsmb u and nintendoland.Thats not on.

Its one thing to making games when they are done but its stupid to have the same mentality when you have nothing to fill in the gaps.

Miyamoto came out recently and said they under developed and had to get more staff members to increase the progress because they didnt know that it would take so long making games in hd , which i cannot fantom how that happened.

So they took a year head start, not releasing a true system seller in 2 years and all we have are sorrys , please understands and we need more time.

Remember also iwata said they will learn from 3ds mistake but it seems they didnt.

It's one company making games on two systems. You can't really fault them considering they are producing more games than any other developer out there. There's only so much they can do. As for trouble ramping up for HD console development, every company went through that as well, Nintendo are just late to the party.

What do you expect from them, a first party game every month? It's an impossibility. It's not Nintendo's first party development that's the problem or the lack of third party support. It's marketing and getting awareness of the platform out there where they failed. The same thing happened with the 3DS.

Nintendo's challenge now is capturing the casual market again which isn't a shoe in like it was with the Wii. This Christmas is very important and they might have a little more time to catch up when the PS4 and XBOne inevitably have a crappy launch year but I can see the WiiU being another N64 or GC surviving on first party mainly and a small install base using it as a secondary console.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Changed their mind. Smash will be streamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

If anything they have been producing too many 3DS games they are sorted software wise until well in to 2014. I haven't the time or money to buy all they have coming out this year.

Annnnnnnd......it happened!
    Price drop yo! http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/wii-u-price-drop-confirmed

50 quid off the premium bundle.....so, are potential buyers out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

As soon as there are more than a couple of games worth buying the system for, i'll get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In fairness 50 is feck all.

In fairness 50 is feck all.

Its now 100 euros cheaper than the ps4 , 150 if you include the ps plus membership to play online and you get a free game

More than enough for now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Its now 100 euros cheaper than the ps4 , 150 if you include the ps plus membership to play online and you get a free game

More than enough for now

150eu extra, but you do get proper next gen console and 1 year worth of free games each month on ps vita, ps3 and ps4.

Dont understand me wrong, I still want Wii u down the line, but there are better ways to spend 300eu. Feck, I would even better buy this instead! :pac:

d3s8202-1357627639.jpg

• Advertisement

150eu extra, but you do get proper next gen console and 1 year worth of free games each month on ps vita, ps3 and ps4.

Dont understand me wrong, I still want Wii u down the line, but there are better ways to spend 300eu. Feck, I would even better buy this instead! :pac:

d3s8202-1357627639.jpg

Well thats not fair , lego has been kicking ass even before my fathers time :pac:

Advertisement