Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Wii U dead?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Its now 100 euros cheaper than the ps4 , 150 if you include the ps plus membership to play online and you get a free game

More than enough for now

€300 now so. Still want it a bit cheaper but I really want to play Wind Waker in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Just curious, Wii U owners. How do ye feel about 32 GB? I can't help but hope that they come out with one with more than that. Any thoughts on likelihood of them iterating a version with more storage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Just curious, Wii U owners. How do ye feel about 32 GB? I can't help but hope that they come out with one with more than that. Any thoughts on likelihood of them iterating a version with more storage?

32gb is not enough storage and i say its very slim they will bring out another model with more storage since it has no hard drive.

There downloading game purchases have left me fir the most part to avoid buying games from their store because the games are tied to the system rather than the players account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

maybe its just me making a big deal out of nothing but the 3ds is getting mario party but the wii u is getting wii u party ?

something is telling me nintendo cares more for the 3ds than the wii u , even more than ever

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/08/28/mario-party-island-tour-for-nintendo-2ds-3ds-box-art-and-release-date/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I’m currently not using an external HDD so I can't comment, but is there any noticeable loading latency vs the internal memory and vs disk? Since you can stick any drive you want on the back, I don’t see the point in them releasing a bigger one, if anything I could see them dropping the 32GB to keep the console entry price low, then push bundles with key properties – Zelda, Mario, MK8, Smash Bros etc.

They're throwing serious love the 3DS's way with all the recommendation code promos and free game promos. Maybe the price drop for the WiiU will net the early adopters some sort of awesome bonus - an early release of Mario Sunshine or Rogue Leader? Ah go on, a boy can dream :)

While I'm here, is the WiiShop still open and is it still using points? Thinking of using Stars to buy points, Points to buy Wii Street Fighter II and HyperFighter and then upgrade the Wii versions to WiiU for €1.50 a piece, netting me a free copy of New Challengers for 3 quid (or €1 a piece for the 3 games)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The title of this thread still makes me laugh. It's not dead, but it's not really alive yet either :o

LIST OF WII U RELEASE DATES
    • Rayman Legends (Sept. 3)
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Sept. 20 for eShop, Oct. 4 for physical retail release, $49.99)
    • Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (Sept. 24)
    • Just Dance 2014 (Oct. 8)
    • Skylanders SWAP Force (Oct. 13)
    • Sonic Lost World (Oct. 22)
    • Wii Party U (Oct. 25, bundled with Wii Remote Plus Controller, $49.99)
    • Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag (Oct. 29)
    • Call of Duty: Ghosts (Nov. 5)
    • Watch Dogs (Nov. 19)
    • Super Mario 3D World (Nov. 22, $59.99)
    • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Dec. 6, $49.99)
    • Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (Holiday)
    • Wii Fit U (Holiday)
    • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Fall)

Source : GT

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think that price cut is enough to make much of a dent this Christmas. If the Windwaker bundle was 249euros, it might make a dent but at 300euros, I think most people will just pay the extra for a PS4.

Of that list of games, there's only three games I'd be interested in playing and still nothing I think is worth buying the console for.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Nintendo had a great advantage against the next gen consoles by not being so expensive and having a year head start. They then made an absolute shambles of things and there was absolutely no reason to own a Wii U, there still isn't right this minute. Also, it should be priced at €250 for it to be successful because for only €100 extra you're getting a far superior machine in the PS4.

Time will tell, but I won't buy a Nintendo console again after the Wii. No 3rd party support because of the power gap and I wasn't a fan of waiting months and months between must-have games from Nintendo themselves.

Their 3DS launch was abysmal too and also required a price cut to spark interest. How did they not learn from their past mistakes? I think the PS4 and X1 will knock it out of the water come November if I'm honest an steal all its 3rd party support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Nollog

32GB is perfect, because if you're not using a hard drive and have any intention of buying from the eShop, then you're doing it wrong.
    It's flash memory, so it's faster than a hard drive.
    I'm not sure I agree with Nintendo on that trade-off, people would have preferred the bigger numbers, but then their competition would've just thrown one of their sister company's bigger hard drives into theirs anyway, Nintendo can't win because they don't have thousands of fingers in every pie to make their console cheaper for them.
    They won't come out with a bigger one, at least not more than 64 or 128 GB.
    Just buy a 500 gb hard drive for 30 or 40 euro.
    Unless you're going to buy digital games though, the size of the internal storage won't matter to you at all.
    Banjo wrote: »
    I’m currently not using an external HDD so I can't comment, but is there any noticeable loading latency vs the internal memory and vs disk? Since you can stick any drive you want on the back, I don’t see the point in them releasing a bigger one, if anything I could see them dropping the 32GB to keep the console entry price low, then push bundles with key properties – Zelda, Mario, MK8, Smash Bros etc.
    Nothing really noticable, maybe since the update back in spring, since I haven't tried since then. Back when I got it I tried and the difference was like half a second, if that. Internal being faster.
    You have people thinking it's inferior because the number is smaller, that's the only reason they'd have to release a larger version.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    The title of this thread still makes me laugh. It's not dead, but it's not really alive yet either :o

LIST OF WII U RELEASE DATES

Source : GT
    American dates.
    If scribblenauts comes out here anywhere near that date, I'll eat my gamepad.
    Did they ever release unlimited over here?
    I got fed up around christmas and just got it on steam.
    TNT2k_ wrote: »
    Nintendo had a great advantage against the next gen consoles by not being so expensive and having a year head start. They then made an absolute shambles of things and there was absolutely no reason to own a Wii U, there still isn't right this minute. Also, it should be priced at €250 for it to be successful because for only €100 extra you're getting a far superior machine in the PS4.

Time will tell, but I won't buy a Nintendo console again after the Wii. No 3rd party support because of the power gap and I wasn't a fan of waiting months and months between must-have games from Nintendo themselves.

Their 3DS launch was abysmal too and also required a price cut to spark interest. How did they not learn from their past mistakes? I think the PS4 and X1 will knock it out of the water come November if I'm honest an steal all its 3rd party support.

People say this all the time, like they forget about Mario and Metroid, as if Nintendo won't release versions of them on the console.
    People expect every Nintendo franchise at launch or it's doomed.
    Happened with the wii, ds, 3ds, pretty much everything that was successful.

They did make a mess of it, they half-assed third parties expecting them to take the initiative and put their games on their new console without throwing money at them like Sony and MS do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

/\/ollog wrote: »
    If scribblenauts comes out here anywhere near that date, I'll eat my gamepad.
    Did they ever release unlimited over here?
    I got fed up around christmas and just got it on steam..

It lives:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-28-scribblenauts-unlimited-is-finally-making-it-to-europe-in-december

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Nollog

GTR63 wrote: »

Scribblenauts Unmasked isn't Scibblenauts Unlimited.
    I imagine from the lack of any information in the article that the author is confused.
    A very easy thing for "journalists" to do when it comes to anything on a Nintendo platform, or so it seems.

But then again, this could just be me being jaded, and expecting idiocy from gaming news outlets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Its still 30-50 Euro overpriced imo....they need a bundle: a wireless controller + wiimote and nunchuck.....300 notes = sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Well I myself will be getting one as soon as the new mario cart is out, when all the lads are round we always whip it out and have great craic, its been used well over 500 times just for that one game so ill be getting one fairly soon I reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I was living in blissful ignorance of the existence of those...and now I want one. Thanks a bunch.:pac:

(On a side note, with the NFC thing and AR on the Wii U Nintendo should be looking at the possibility of creating games which incorporate remote control toys, things similar to that but not so expensive, since they look to be getting pulverised going after the traditional console gamer's market).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Its now 100 euros cheaper than the ps4 , 150 if you include the ps plus membership to play online and you get a free game

More than enough for now

How many free games will ps+ get you though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

It can use basically any decent USB hard drive, that's no big deal.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

How many free games will ps+ get you though?

More then you will ever be able to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Radiosonde wrote: »
    On a side note, with the NFC thing and AR on the Wii U Nintendo should be looking at the possibility of creating games which incorporate remote control toys, things similar to that but not so expensive, since they look to be getting pulverised going after the traditional console gamer's market.

Can't do AR, as it has no camera on the rear of the gamepad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

After the monstrous looking cpp, I would not say a clip on periscope is definitely off the table. Don't count AR out yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Raven_SK

i was just looking at the Nintendo Wii U for one of the kids for Xmass and 1st is there any difference other than colour and additional memory with the black and one, i was up in Smyths Toys store and they have one in white foe 219 euro this is with a game the black one is over 300 euro with a game ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Raven_SK wrote: »
    i was just looking at the Nintendo Wii U for one of the kids for Xmass and 1st is there any difference other than colour and additional memory with the black and one, i was up in Smyths Toys store and they have one in white foe 219 euro this is with a game the black one is over 300 euro with a game ??

All I'll say is, if you already have a Wii with all the bits, sensor bar etc the you could get the 8gb one as these tgings are not included.

The 32gb one is the one to go for as if you don't have these things and about 2 years ago Nintendo has a deal on games that you would buy from the eshop they would give you credit back for whatever amount you spent to use on the eshop later. In the long run, get the 32gb one and get an external hard drive if you are going to download a lot of games. Or you could just read up on it all on Amazon.

8gb one here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004Y59P3A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1415484288&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

32gb one here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008B5YB4W/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1415484306&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40

Personally I love the white gamepad.

Have a look at all the games available too, by far the best system out now. Amazing games. I'm still playing Mario u.

Hope that helps, or even makes sense to you.

is 219 euro + game a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I would say yes it is, BUT, you will need to get external hard drives to cover system updates, they are getting bigger with each one.

What game does it come with?

FREE New Super Mario Bros U

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I picked up that exact deal about two weeks ago. The Wii U is easily my current favorite machine between my PC/PS4/Wii U.

The machine might be "dead" but as long as Nintendo keep releasing stuff for it it will be the best console.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Raven_SK wrote:
    FREE New Super Mario Bros U

that can be bought for as little as 15 online as its a launch title. also quite difficult for kids, super Mario world 3d I'd much better suited. keep on eye on Nintendo bargains thread here for deals on Wii u black (premium), there will be better deals before Christmas. eg. I paid a little over 220 euro on Amazon before Xmas last year for a premium with 3 gamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I would say yes it is, BUT, you will need to get external hard drives to cover system updates, they are getting bigger with each one.

There is space reserved in the memory for system updates. They won't release an update bigger than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

I'd be inclined to go for the black 32gb if possible to cover updates etc. You should be able to get it bundled with Mario Kart 8 for around 299.

I'd be inclined to go for the black 32gb if possible to cover updates etc. You should be able to get it bundled with Mario Kart 8 for around 299.

Ya but the white one is only 219 with a game and Mario Kart exra say 50 270 or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Raven_SK wrote: »
    Ya but the white one is only 219 with a game and Mario Kart exra say 50 270 or so

That's only a €20 difference to future proof yourself.

Advertisement