Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zeroing.... How do you shoot?

Options
  • 04-07-2013 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Just a quick question for everyone I suppose it depends on the type of shooting you do but what way do you zero/fire your rifle?

A)Max point blank range?
    B)Kentucky windage?
    C)Adjustable Zeros? e.g. zeroed at 300yrds, 6 clicks elevation gives you 400yrd zero etc etc

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Target shooting.
    • Zero at 100 yards.
    • Shoot at the various distances recording the exact adjustments for each distance.

Hunting.
    • Zero at 200 yards
    • Shoot targets at 100 & 300 with 200 zero on.
    • Find physical POI & find PBR.
    • Use mil-dot on reticle for any shot outside of PBR based on drops previously gained from shooting targets.

All the above is for elevation. Windage is a different, yet simplier technique. I don't adjust the turrets for hunting. I simply guage the wind, aim off and fire.

For target shooting i'll hold off to a point, and based on the speed and direction i'll apply some windage to the scope via the turrets, but use a hold for any pick ups of let offs in wind.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

Thats a fairly solid system there Cass, Im not a target shooter but id imagine id so same for target shooting!! I like the way you zero for hunting too i might try it out when i pick up my new stick, should i be able to pick a caliber first.. but that another thread!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Sorry cass, what's pbr?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sorry cass, what's pbr?

Point blank range. It means the longest distance you can shoot and hit a target of a given size without altering your point of aim. Typically means you sight the rifle to not go above or below a certain distance within that range. Say you decide your target is six inches in diameter. That means you want your bullet to go no higher than 3" above the line of sight (or point of aim) and the point blank range is that at which your bullet drops more than 3" below the point of aim when sighted in to go 3" high at its highest point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Point Blank range. Distances to a target, which the bullet will strike, without any adjustment to the scope/optics.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Doh!!!

Thanks, really gotta brush up on my TLA's, and prob get an alzheimers test too, can't beleive I didn't catch that one!

Advertisement