Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning right from Fish Quay onto Lower Knox street?

Options
  • 05-07-2013 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭

I am used to turning left from Fish quay towards the bridge, but somebody asked me can you turn right??

I just assumed you can't, but maybe I'm wrong.

At the end of Quay street, you can turn right onto Wine street or left onto Lower Knox street.

As I turn right, I look to my left, towards Toher's pharmacy, even though one part of me says "don't bother, sure the street is one-way".

However, if traffic can turn right out of Fish quay, past the GPO, onto Lower Knox street, heading for Wine street, then I would be correct to look to me left when leaving Quay street for Wine street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I'm nearly sure there's a No Right Turn sign across from the traffic light at Fish Quay but I must look again. I've seen one or two people turning left onto Wine Street from O'Connell Street, it's an awkward turn but doable.

I must be immune to signs around the town theres so many of them but again I think there's a No Left Turn sign coming up O'Connell Street.

Dammit I won't rest easy until I find out. Roll on lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

google maps would say you will get points for either turn, no right turn from Fish Quay and no turn from OConnell St

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am pretty sure there is no right turn there.

Heres one for you though. At the bottom of oconnell st, there's no signage to say that you cant go straight on, on to fish quay, nor do I recall any saying you cant turn left into wine street, other than the green arrow pointing right when the lights change.

The road markings though on wine street at the lights (between the post office and tohers), if there were no signage, do suggest that you could turn right out of fish quay, or left off oconnell street, as the stop line does not extend the whole width of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Am pretty sure there is no right turn there.

Heres one for you though. At the bottom of oconnell st, there's no signage to say that you cant go straight on, on to fish quay, nor do I recall any saying you cant turn left into wine street, other than the green arrow pointing right when the lights change.

In town the other day, there is actually a no left turn at the bottom of O'Connell Street, didn't check for the no right turn out of Fish Quay.

Not that people tend to obey road signs anyway. Signs show 'No Straight On' from Abbey St to Castle St, 'No Right Turn' at the bottom of Harmony Hill, allowing you on to O'Connell St, at least 5 signs between road markings and signs saying you cant turn into the alley way into Wine Street carpark, from John St. At all three junctions I see the signs ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Markiemarkso

There is (one) no right turn sign just before the traffic lights on Fish Quay.
    The reason for the left arrow on the lights coing out of O Connell St is that you have to veer slightly to the left to continue "straight" down Fish Quay, this was more prounced when there was two lanes of traffic coming out of O Connell but now the foothpath outside tohers puts you in that position anyway.

Isn't it about time they allowed parking at the side of Tohers where the driving lane is now redundant since you can't trun left from O Connell St, perfect spot for some more badly needed disabled spaces.

• Advertisement
Advertisement