Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job front Stateside

Options
  • 05-07-2013 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Story is I want to do a 12 month J1 work visa. My only concern is whether or not I would be able to get a job related to my degree which is law. Does anyone know of ways to get a foot in the door without being there? I did a j1 summer visa which worked out great but I don't want to spend all the money going back, having to leave my job without having somewhere to start. I have until October to get the visa as I graduated last October.
    In terms of city, it looks like it would be San Diego, but I'm not tied to going there.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

As far as actual law firms go.....jobs are very difficult to find. There is huge competition among highly qualified candidates for few openings, most law graduates have to do unpaid internships to get their foot in the door.

Doesn't mean there aren't law related openings, look at the legal dept in larger companies.....you may be able to find some clerical positions, won't deal directly with cases, but should get some good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ohio1296

In order to work as an attorney here in the US you would need to pass the Bar Exam for the state in which you are living. Each state has a different Bar Exam as they all have different Revised Codes (although the Bar Exam covers Federal laws as well).

In order to take the Bar Exam you would need to contact that states Bar and inquire as to whether or not you are qualified by education.

I live in Cleveland, Ohio and there are a number of large law firms with international divisions (Jones Day, Squires Sanders and Dempsey).

http://www.squiresanders.com/careers/
    http://www.jonesdaycareers.com/

Advertisement