Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laksa

Options
  • 05-07-2013 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

Are there any F&D heads who can supply a good Laksa recipe? Most of the online recipes look for a Laksa paste, so a blend for the paste would probably get me over the hump... :)

/edit/

While we're at it - anyone know where to get tamarind juice in Limerick for a Rendang?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭robbe

Always liked this recipe (don't mind the description - it's also got a laksa in there from scratch)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jul/22/nigel-slater-soup-vegetable-broth-miso

There's a Paul Rankin one too but I cannot find it online - use his mainly, will see if I can find it, it makes the laksa paste from scratch too.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Are there any F&D heads who can supply a good Laksa recipe? Most of the online recipes look for a Laksa paste, so a blend for the paste would probably get me over the hump... :)

/edit/

While we're at it - anyone know where to get tamarind juice in Limerick for a Rendang?

you wont find tamarind juice.

buy a block of tamarind. soak some in hot water and strain off the tamarind juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

http://rasamalaysia.com/laksa/ - This site has the most authentic recipes, exactly like home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Great, thanks all!

@YumCha - would a ready made Thai green/red curry paste fit the bill? I'm guessing red would be more suited?

@robbe - if you could find the paste blend, that would be great.

@Curry Addict - any pictures of what a block of tamarind might look like :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Whoops I linked the wrong recipe - this one has the spice paste: http://rasamalaysia.com/curry-meecurry-laksa-recipe/2/

If you were going to make it from a packet I'd use the curry laksa paste - tean's is the one in most asian stores and it's pretty nice. I don't think thai curry paste would be a good substitute (although maybe look at the ingredients in the yellow/penang and compare).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Thanks YumCha,

That reads very good (though I'm not a big fan of cockles, might go with muscles instead). I guess black pudding could be used as the pig's blood substitute? Also, any directions to where one might find cuttlefish heads - or a substitute?

Definitely hope hope to give this a spin at the weekend - any idea how many this recipe would serve, looks like 6-8+?

Advertisement