Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepper plant is in a bit of trouble

Options
  • 05-07-2013 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hey guys

having a bit of a mare, have a beautiful chili pepper plant and I am having some trouble. The stem and the pepper are falling off after flowering. I am presuming it has to do with the black staining? Any advice much appreciated. I have attached some pics if this helps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Peppers get black streaks so I think that looks ok in pic 3. Although it's not the usual linear colouring I know on the types I've grown.
    In picture 1 it's not very clear but almost looks as if the stem is dead or rotting.
    The compost looks very dry to me in pic 2. It looks like you've just given the plant a splash in the middle. They should be watered from below using a tray and kept dampish, but not over-watered either. If the plant is trying to swell fruit but not getting enough water the flower stems will shrivel and the fruit will drop off. Having said that, I find that my plants will drop 1 or 2 of its first fruit. It almost like it's settling itself or something.
    So what's your watering and feeding regime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Hey Redser, I water the plant daily first thing in the morning. I don't over water but I give it enough just unfortunately it doesnt look that way in the photo :). I have only been watering, I didnt add any feed, could you recommend something for feeding.

thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Hi. Any tomato feed will do. Osmo do a great tomato feed if you can find it.
    There are a couple of pepper/chilli heads on here who could advise you better I'd say - there's probably a specific pepper feed out there. I'd say that could be your problem, they do need feeding once flowering and fruiting starts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056667759

redser7 wrote: »
    Hi. Any tomato feed will do. Osmo do a great tomato feed if you can find it.
    There are a couple of pepper/chilli heads on here who could advise you better I'd say - there's probably a specific pepper feed out there. I'd say that could be your problem, they do need feeding once flowering and fruiting starts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056667759

Thanks a million I really appreciate it. I have tomatoe feed at home and I will put that in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Looks a bi dry. I wouldn't worry too much.
    Could you post a picture of a whole plant from pot to the tip of it, just so we can get an idea of pot size, plant size etc?
    I've found that sometimes if a small chilli plant is put in too large a pot, it puts all its effort into extending its roots to fill the new pot and the flowers etc suffer for a while as it diverts its energy elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Yep as soon as I get home I will, the plant is around four foot tall. The leaves are healthy I think I am watering it enough. I think maybe it needs feed, just worry that the stem with the flower is dropping off. I will post a pick ASAP thanks for helping too

Hmmm, 4ft tall? Could very well be that you need to re-pot it in that case.
    The picture will definitely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The black staining is perfectly normal.
    Remember chilis come from hot climates where its hot and dry then absolutely pours down. I think you would be better off giving it a really good soak avery 3-4 days and let it dry out in between. If the leaves are still falling off then maybe give it some tomato feed once a week or so. Thats what I do and mine are flying. Some flowers will always drop off, I really wouldn't worry about that unless they all start doing it.

Heres one of my Chinese Five Color chili plants - note the staining!

sNhJxWG.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Hey there I gave it a good soaking and some tomatoe feed so I will wait and see, apologies for not uploading a photo of the pot I'm posting off my phone I think the pot is okay though as it is about two and a half or three feet deep.

I will be gutted if this plant does a burton as I have about 8 flowers all ready to produce

If the pot is that deep, then it'll be fine. It was a bit hard to tell from the initial photo.
    Also, if you can get your hands on a mister or small spray bottle, spray the leaves every day or two with it. I find that really helps the plants and keeps the leaves nice and healthy.

• Advertisement

Yeah sorry about the snaps very early in the morning when they were taken. I have cleaned the leaves of anything and gave the plant a good soaking. I hope it works out, I have a second plant growing too so if the first plant is good then it's happy days. Thanks guys for all your help I will keep y'all posted

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Hi,

Hopefully not too late to resurrect this thread. Have some pepper seedlings / mini plants in Greenhouse which seems to be all suffering from some form of ailment.

They have been in greenhouse for 2 months now and have been watered regularly and fed once. I have recently started using washing up liquid spray to clear some Aphids, not sure if this would be the cause.

The problem has now resulted in some leaves falling off.

Hoping somebody on here might have an idea as to the cause and any treatments.

Attached some photos of what's happening - appreciate if anyone has any thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

This could have been caused by the spray alright. I found a video on youtube of someone mentioning a similar reaction. I used a garlic spray in the past, with a clove or two of garlic, and just a tiny dot of washing up liquid in my sprayer. Perhaps just pick off the aphids by hand for a couple of weeks to see how newer leaves do. Hope the plants come back strong again!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Thanks BobCobb - will hope that that's the cause and see how they fair over the next few weeks. Tomatoes seem to be fairing better with the washing up liquid spray anyway.

Thanks for the tip on the garlic - will defo give that a try.

Advertisement