Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad Mini or iPad 2?

• 05-07-2013 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a second hand/refurb iPad and have €300 max to spend. WHat's the power difference between the iPad 2 and iPad Mini?

Will the iPad 2 be able to upgrade to iOS7? Will the Mini?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

iPad mini will be upgraded.

iPad 2, will also be upgraded but does not support

Filters in Camera app
    Panoramic photos
    AirDrop
    Filters in Photos app
    Square photos and videos
    Siri upgrade

I'd expect the iPad mini to get an upgrade to iOS 8 as well next year while this will probably be the last major update for the iPad 2.

I'd be more concerned about the form factor and the size of the tablet than the power as they are similar. For example if you take the train to work and plan to use it on that then the mini is an obvious choice for it's portability. If your reading a lot the mini is also lighter. If it's for watching netflix on the couch or basic editing of documents then the iPad 2 is larger.

If you can wait till late September / October when iOS 7 and updated iOS devices are launched you'll probably save a few quid as more people upgrade to newer models more second hand devices will become available.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

iPad mini V iPad 2= iPad mini for me please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I've the 2 and my sister has the mini. I'd go with the mini, it runs slightly smoother than my 2 but the size difference is the clincher for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Have a look at the refurbished iPad section on Apple's site: http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad
    They have a brand new battery and also include a one year warranty just like new products.

If it's between iPad mini and iPad 2, then it's definitely iPad mini. iPad 2 will be missing out on many features once iOS 7 comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I have been tempted by ipad mini for a while now. With the refurb price it looks great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Would get the iPad mini but it wrecks my head how things like Sky Go can't utilise the entire screen. Will wait for the next one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

I have been tempted by ipad mini for a while now. With the refurb price it looks great value.

yes, good value at €289 from apple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I had the exact same dilemma as the OP just 2 weeks ago and in the end plumped for the iPad 2. I test drove a friends Mini and while I liked it for what I wanted it for the screen was just a bit too small. I do love the way you can hold a Mini comfortably in one hand which is great but for me I want to watch movies and play games so an 8 inch screen was just a bit too small. I know when I go on holidays I'd prefer have a Mini with me but I'm at home 48 weeks of the year so I bought the iPad 2 with that in mind.

OP you say your budget is €300. I got a refurb iPad 2 16gb from the Tesco Outlet on ebay. Tesco give a 12 month warranty. Mine came in a box and with instructions but nothing else, no charger, etc. I paid a total of €313 delivered- you will have to sign up to Parcel Motel and have it routed to Belfast first as Tesco Outlet don't post to outside the UK. All in all I am very happy with it, there is one or two minor scuffs on the back but overall I recokon it had less than a few hours use.

Would get the iPad mini but it wrecks my head how things like Sky Go can't utilise the entire screen. Will wait for the next one! :D

Oh I didn't know that. how bad does it effect it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Sky go runs off a 16:9 resolution and hence puts a black strip above and below the picture.

Its not too bad, but Sky Go works perfectly on iPhone 5 so hopefully in the next iteration of tablets they fix the screen proportions like they did with the iPhone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Its not too bad, but Sky Go works perfectly on iPhone 5 so hopefully in the next iteration of tablets they fix the screen proportions like they did with the iPhone
    Hopefully bloody not!

16:9 is great for movies, but for regular TV (via FilmOn etc.) or just browsing the web, e-magazines or most apps in general the 4:3 format is much better. I would find a short widescreen really annoying most of the time.

I bit the bullet and went for the iPad mini refurb. I ordered yesterday and it arrived this morning from the UK. It's a serious piece of kit. It looks brand new and all the accessories are new. I highly recommend it for the €50 saving :)

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FD528B/A/refurbished-ipad-mini-with-wi-fi-16gb-black-slate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

iPad Mini shares a lot of the iPad 2's DNA. Both have Apple's dual-core A5 processor, and both have a 1024x768-pixel screen. These two models each have Wi-Fi and 16GB of storage. Both can record HD video, though the iPad 2 tops out at 720p while the Mini shoots at 1080p (meaning it'll burn through that 16GB that much quicker). The Mini has a much better rear-facing camera. And iPad 2 has no USB, no SD card reader and no removable battery. iPad Mini feels expensive, given that its screen is the least spectacular, and on paper it fails to tick many of my boxes. But I really liked its size, form factor and weight. If I were feeling rich, I would probably treat myself to one of these as well as the winner...BTW, if you buy a new iPad, then go to the Aneesoft iPad column to know some tips about iPad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

I had been dithering over which to buy too.
    Decided on the ipad mini 32g based on posts above.
    so thanks all!

Advertisement