Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHen To Apply For BTEA

Options
  • 05-07-2013 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

When is the best time to apply for BTEA? Can you apply before the course starts or do you have to wait until you are officially on your course?
    Trying to work out when would be best to apply, so as to have no/as little "gap" as possible with VTOS runing out in Sept and starting BTEA payments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You can apply as soon as you have a course place offer and have confirmation of the start date of the course. In exceptional circumstances you can apply for up to 30 days after the course begins. Your allowance will be paid from the start date of your course.

Have a look at section 2 here: http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx#1.8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Thank you for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I have an offer from my course, I filled in the btea form and handed in about 2 weeks ago. Just wondering what will I need as proof to hand into them, will a screen shot of the CAO page be suffient,or will I get a confirmation in the post from Trinty in the coming weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

bri007 wrote: »
    I have an offer from my course, I filled in the btea form and handed in about 2 weeks ago. Just wondering what will I need as proof to hand into them, will a screen shot of the CAO page be suffient,or will I get a confirmation in the post from Trinty in the coming weeks?

Proof of an offer which can be the Cao acceptance e-mail

Then a letter from the college with the start and finish date of the course for the year. But there's no rush with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks, Just over panicking :D
    shawki wrote: »
    Proof of an offer which can be the Cao acceptance e-mail

Then a letter from the college with the start and finish date of the course for the year. But there's no rush with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭R_V_P 24

Hi there,

I'm a bit short on the days needed, I'm just wondering could I leave it until the end of August to apply because that's when I have the 234 days required, (30th August) do you need to apply 4 weeks in advance cause I'm really panicking here that I might not get it, I applied to the CAO and am sure I'll get a place starting college 17th September. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭LJ82

Hi RVP, I think so long as you apply for the btea before you register you are ok, i'd imagine they'd count your days up until the date you register, I hit 234 days on Aug 30th and the guy in my local office said to send in app just after the aug bank hol wkd, we're a bit different though as need to apply to switch from jsb to jsa

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭R_V_P 24

LJ82 wrote: »
    Hi RVP, I think so long as you apply for the btea before you register you are ok, i'd imagine they'd count your days up until the date you register, I hit 234 days on Aug 30th and the guy in my local office said to send in app just after the aug bank hol wkd, we're a bit different though as need to apply to switch from jsb to jsa

Hi lj82,

Are you applying as a mature student or going back to finish, I'm going threw the CAO and should get word around 17th I think, do you know could I wait the few days before I have 234 and then apply!?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭LJ82

R_V_P 24 wrote: »
    Hi lj82,

Are you applying as a mature student or going back to finish, I'm going threw the CAO and should get word around 17th I think, do you know could I wait the few days before I have 234 and then apply!?

I wouldn't like to say for sure but I think so long as you apply before you register in college then you should be grand, how are you counting up your days? It is a minefield! Do you know that Sundays are not counted, as in 7 days of you not working gives you 6 days of unemployment, if you know what I mean!

My understanding is that if you are in receipt of jsa is that you can apply at any stage really and that they will take your last day of unemployment as the day before you register.

It is actually my OH that is applying for the btea and he is a mature student, got his offer last week. I'm currently on jsb and have been claiming for him as a dependant, as I am starting a masters in sept I will no longer be entitled to anything so the local swo have advised us that my oh needs to apply for the jsa and then if approved he will be entitled to the btea, very complicated!

Advertisement