Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RocknRoll Half Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

drquirky wrote: »
    Easy solution- train harder/ run faster next time.

Harsh

I was one of the people bringing up the rear, I only saw water at Rialto and Ballyfermot, all other areas only had gels. Luckily I had my own so it wasn't an issue but I saw some people really struggle. Its not an unreasonable expectation that you will be able to get some water on route and at the end and the organisers should have ensured that was on offer.

There are probably a lot of people new to running who enter races like this and proper organisation goes a long way to motivating them to keep going and promote the events, its not enough to just say "oh well you should try running a bit faster next time".

Well done to all who took part regardless of speed and ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

eviltwin wrote: »
    Harsh

There are probably a lot of people new to running who enter races like this and proper organisation goes a long way to motivating them to keep going and promote the events, its not enough to just say "oh well you should try running a bit faster next time".

Well done to all who took part regardless of speed and ability.

Yeah- I agree- maybe a bit harsh. Just get sick at times of the endless bitching- perhaps I'm popping off a bit due to all the goody bag nonsense up thread....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

blockic wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of when the team results will be posted? and where?

I think the AAI will have them up on their page in a few days

dingonerd wrote: »
    They will be posted on Athletics Ireland website

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=160

But it normally takes them a few days..

Sorry! Didn't see this till after I'd posted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

drquirky wrote: »
    Yeah- I agree- maybe a bit harsh. Just get sick at times of the endless bitching- perhaps I'm popping off a bit due to all the goody bag nonsense up thread....:eek:

Hopefully they will sort out the operational issues, it was a great event, I would love to see it become a normal fixture in the calender and see even more people at it next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How did the corrals work out? Was it all AAI in 1 and 2? Anyone reckon there could be problems with the team prizes because of the corral system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

RayCun wrote: »
    How did the corrals work out? Was it all AAI in 1 and 2? Anyone reckon there could be problems with the team prizes because of the corral system?

I'm not registered with AAI but I was assigned corral 1, standing shoulder to shoulder with some American visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dermo09

AJAYC wrote: »
    Light years better than I expected, well organised, toughish course in reasonable weather, a bit breezy in spots. Great to see so many visitors running in the city & for €25, surprisingly good value with 2 technical tops.
    I could have done with signage saying "500 metres to go" near the end as the finish straight seem to creep up on you very quickly. And felt a bit sorry for the slower runners as a few water stops ran dry, as did the earlier laden tables at the finish. But well done to all involved on a grand day.
    2 technical tops?? How did that happen?? I got only the one green one at the expo !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seatrump

I was in Corral two and am not affiliated with anybody. I could see occasional people from other corrals around me but in general people lined up where they should. My wife was back in Corral 10 and she moved forward as earlier corrals departed. She reported that things were orderly and organized. The crossed the start line with about 10-11 mins on the clock.

The elites, Corral 1 and corral 2 all started together. The first 1-2km were a bit more crowded than I would have liked. I ran on the sidewalk for a bit in the first km. After that, corners could get a little crowded but it was OK. No worse than any other medium sized race. You wouldn't have wanted people to be any more on top of each other, for sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dermo09

napathy wrote: »
    Hmmm mine isn't either, anyone know who was the timing company, might be on their site?
    Mine is not either, and not in the paper today...i spent 45 EUR on the race and really enjoyed it, but am very disappointed that my time is not posted.

• Advertisement

My wife is a slower runner and reported water shortages also. This is unforgiveable in my opinion. The slower runners are usually the ones that need water the most! Even the last runner is entitled to expect sufficient supplies. They paid just as much as everyone else.

Saying run faster is typical elitist nonsense and is not what running is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Corrals worked out well IMO, I was in Corral 1, and about 10-12 rows from the start line, and with virtually no "misplaced runners".

Once the Gun went off we all surged forward. Everyone (around me anyway) seemed to be running similar pace (6:00ish) for first half mile.

I didnt find myself running / slamming into the back of anyone running 8:00ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

Thanks to all the organizers for a great event. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was buzzing for the rest of the day.

This was my first ever run and on the back of this I will be definitely be entering more events soon. Going into the event, I didn't really have a good idea what time I would get. Started in Coral 5 and we got over the start line in about 2-4 minutes after the gun, which was better than I was expecting.

Got over the finish line in 01:39:06. Over the moon with that result. :)

Going to try and keep up the training for the Dublin Marathon in October.

I was wondering this too. I know, obviously, the top ten men & women are judged on finishing position / gun time, but where a championship is part of any large race, where runners are encouraged to start in the position that suits their pace, what do they do about team / age category prizes in the championship? If there's no AAI corral at the front, and you are an eighty year old man who expects to be running a half marathon in, say 1.50, do you start right at the front to make sure no slower 80+-year-olds start ahead of you & so get across the line before you, or do you start in the appropriate place for your pace and win the O80 title if you have the fastest chip time? I THINK (& I may be mis-remembering) that the age-group team prizes in the Dublin 10 Mile Road Championships last year were awarded on chip time, but I'm not sure ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

seatrump wrote: »
    My wife is a slower runner and reported water shortages also. This is unforgiveable in my opinion. The slower runners are usually the ones that need water the most! Even the last runner is entitled to expect sufficient supplies. They paid just as much as everyone else.

Saying run faster is typical elitist nonsense and is not what running is about.

I have to agree with you, I was around the finish area until 11.30 yesterday and I felt really bad for all the slower runners who came in as there was no fruit or energy bars left. I walked back up towards Charlemont street and there were still people coming in, not sure if anybody who took three and a half hours even got anything.

Maybe they could do something like the Race Series/Dublin marathon and give out a goody bag at the end which has the t-shirt, some energy food and a drink and give one to each person that way it stops people from taking 10 energy bars and bananas and there are some left over for the slower runners.

If they are running it again next year they really need to look at the whole finish line area and not allow non runners into the finish area. In the Dublin marathon the whole finish line /baggage area is blocked off.

Overall it looked like a great event and there was a really good vibe out on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That was my first half marathon yesterday and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. Course was interesting, didn't get monotonous or anything, though I do hate that slog up the middle of the Phoenix Park. Finished in 1:48, which, while nothing special, I was pleased with as it was inside my 1:50 goal time. Will definitely be doing more. Hoping to run the marathon this year as well but need to look hard at that, as yesterday gave me a much stronger impression of how big a task that really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

No problems. I was in corral 2 but there was no problem moving forward and we were over the line a few seconds after the gun went off. I think all club runners were in corral 1 or 2.

menoscemo wrote: »
    No problems. I was in corral 2 but there was no problem moving forward and we were over the line a few seconds after the gun went off. I think all club runners were in corral 1 or 2.

I wasn't! I went into Corral 3, as I was targeting 1.40. I passed quite a lot of my clubmates who had started in corrals 1 & 2 on Chesterfield Avenue.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I wasn't! I went into Corral 3, as I was targeting 1.40. I passed quite a lot of my clubmates who had started in corrals 1 & 2 on Chesterfield Avenue.

Interesting. We had a good few older masters that wouldn't have been targetting sub 1:30 but were in corral 1...

HelenAnne wrote: »

I strongly believe that psychologically it is much better to start further back and spend your race passing people than it is starting near the front and spend the race being passed. Having done races in both situations, I know which one I strongly prefer.....

• Advertisement

I'm very new to running, but it makes sense to me to have the rankings based on 'chip time' rather that 'gun time'. Otherwise, as other people have already pointed out, everyone needs to start in Coral 1 in order not to be disadvantaged ... but this would lead to chaotic start obviously.

cian_r wrote: »
    I'm very new to running, but it makes sense to me to have the rankings based on 'chip time' rather that 'gun time'. Otherwise, as other people have already pointed out, everyone needs to start in Coral 1 in order not to be disadvantaged ... but this would lead to chaotic start obviously.

The rankings in the Indo today seem to be based on chip time...

Really? must check that out now. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Any word on the team results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Ridiculous. The 1st person over the line is the winner, the 2nd person over the line is awarded 2nd place, the 3rd person over line is award... anyone?... and so on and so on and that's how it should be.

Am I looking at the right site?

http://sport.independent.ie/marathon/rock-n-roll-half-marathon-dublin-2013/

They still seem to be based on 'gun time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

IAAF rules
    The official time shall be the time elapsed between the firing of the starting gun and the athlete reaching the finish line. However, the time elapsed between an athlete crossing the startline and the finish line can be made known to him, but will not be considered an official time.

The rankings only matter for giving out prizes, and for giving out prizes you have to base your decision on the order people crossed the finish line.

Ridiculous. The 1st person over the line is the winner, the 2nd person over the line is awarded 2nd place, the 3rd person over line is award... anyone?... and so on and so on and that's how it should be.

I think thats fine as long as you have the best runners in Coral 1. However what about the people starting in Coral 6, 7, 8, 9 etc? If they have run a faster time than people in Coral 2, 3, 4 ... shouldnt they be ranked higher?

Am I looking at the right site?

http://sport.independent.ie/marathon/rock-n-roll-half-marathon-dublin-2013/

They still seem to be based on 'gun time'.

NO, the ones in the actual paper...

• Advertisement

IAAF rules

The rankings only matter for giving out prizes, and for giving out prizes you have to base your decision on the order people crossed the finish line.

Fair enough. I can see that for the top place finishers.

Advertisement