Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RocknRoll Half Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Any word on the team results?

Yeah,
    The mens were: Clonliffe, Rathfarnham, Raheny
    The ladies were: Leevale, Raheny, Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

cian_r wrote: »
    Fair enough. I can see that for the top place finishers.

For everyone else, what does it matter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah,
    The mens were: Clonliffe, Rathfarnham, Raheny
    The ladies were: Leevale, Raheny, Mayo.

Any link to these, are they up

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

RayCun wrote: »
    For everyone else, what does it matter?

Not a whole lot, I guess. For me, I'm just interested in where I finished in relation to everyone else. Its an individual event, so obviously its not a critical thing.

brutes1 wrote: »
    Any link to these, are they up

No, I just read it in the paper....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

menoscemo wrote: »
    Interesting. We had a good few older masters that wouldn't have been targetting sub 1:30 but were in corral 1...

So did we! I think anyone with an AAi number seemed to be allowed into corral 1, and maybe people just wanted a faster gun time for team prizes? I just decided to stay in the right corral for my predicted pace so I wouldn't go out too fast. And I think it worked, ended up with 1.37.xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I think thats fine as long as you have the best runners in Coral 1. However what about the people starting in Coral 6, 7, 8, 9 etc? If they have run a faster time than people in Coral 2, 3, 4 ... shouldnt they be ranked higher?

The people in with a chance of winning will be up at the very front of the first coral or else just ahead of that in an elite section.

Some races will allocate the coral based on your PB, but most races rely on the goodwill of runners to enter the most appropriate area based on their ability (and that's a whole other discussion)

I know it can be frustrating if you've finished in 957th place with a quicker time than your friend who is in 949th place but that's just the way it is.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    The people in with a chance of winning will be up at the very front of the first coral or else just ahead of that in an elite section.

Some races will allocate the coral based on your PB, but most races rely on the goodwill of runners to enter the most appropriate area based on their ability (and that's a whole other discussion)

I know it can be frustrating if you've finished in 957th place with a quicker time than your friend who is in 949th place but that's just the way it is.

I don't mind at all about my finishing position - as you say, for people like me, it's the difference between 700th & 702nd etc! But what happens further down the field, where people can't run, to take yesterdays' example, sub 1.30, but they might be good for their age & want to be in contention? i asked this upthread:

'I was wondering this too. I know, obviously, the top ten men & women are judged on finishing position / gun time, but where a championship is part of any large race, where runners are encouraged to start in the position that suits their pace, what do they do about team / age category prizes in the championship? If there's no AAI corral at the front, and you are an eighty year old man who expects to be running a half marathon in, say 1.50, do you start right at the front to make sure no slower 80+-year-olds start ahead of you & so get across the line before you, or do you start in the appropriate place for your pace and win the O80 title if you have the fastest chip time? I THINK (& I may be mis-remembering) that the age-group team prizes in the Dublin 10 Mile Road Championships last year were awarded on chip time, but I'm not sure ... '

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Two problems with going on chip time -

Suppose you have two O80 runners, Jack and Bob. They're pretty evenly matched, both expecting to finish around 2.15.
    Jack lines up in around the right place for his time.
    Bob sees him there, and moves back to the next corral.
    Jack crosses the start line, and Bob crosses the line 30 seconds behind.
    Over the course of the first 5 miles, Bob catches up with Jack and tucks in beside him.
    Jack makes a break in the last mile and drops Bob. Turning into the last straight he glances behind, sees Bob has no chance of catching him, and eases off.
    Bob puts in a burst to make sure he finishes only 20 seconds behind Jack.

First problem. Bob knew he has a 30 second cushion, Jack didn't. Was the race fair? Would Jack have gone faster if he'd known?
    Second problem. You're the race official giving out the prizes. What happens if Bob's chip didn't register? Or there's a computer problem that means chip times won't be ready until the next day. What do you do at the prize-giving?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I don't mind at all about my finishing position - as you say, for people like me, it's the difference between 700th & 702nd etc! But what happens further down the field, where people can't run, to take yesterdays' example, sub 1.30, but they might be good for their age & want to be in contention? i asked this upthread:

'I was wondering this too. I know, obviously, the top ten men & women are judged on finishing position / gun time, but where a championship is part of any large race, where runners are encouraged to start in the position that suits their pace, what do they do about team / age category prizes in the championship? If there's no AAI corral at the front, and you are an eighty year old man who expects to be running a half marathon in, say 1.50, do you start right at the front to make sure no slower 80+-year-olds start ahead of you & so get across the line before you, or do you start in the appropriate place for your pace and win the O80 title if you have the fastest chip time? I THINK (& I may be mis-remembering) that the age-group team prizes in the Dublin 10 Mile Road Championships last year were awarded on chip time, but I'm not sure ... '

Based on my experience the guys who are competitive in age categories are still pretty well ahead of ''normal runners'' and ''joggers'' on their times. I suppose it's natural for a guy in his 50's who once had a PB of 68 minutes to still start fairly far forward although he may only be capable of a 79 or 80 minute half. It's still going to be pretty fast in relation to the rest of the field. One thing I will say is that these guys (and girls) usually know how to keep out of the way if they are being passed by faster runners who started further back.

I think it's very difficult to get it exactly right for everyone, but my thoughts would be unless you are in with a chance of a podium or age related win then start in the appropriate section to you. If your club fancies its chances of a team prize then they should be advising their likely ''scorers'' of where to start, maybe starting in a group would be best to feed off each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

Not a whole lot, I guess. For me, I'm just interested in where I finished in relation to everyone else. Its an individual event, so obviously its not a critical thing.

Im gonna stop my ranting about this now. Just got the Indo and the results are ranked by 'chip time', which is a good 100+ places higher for me than the results based on 'gun time'. Im happy now :)

Thanks again RnR for a great day.

Im gonna stop my ranting about this now. Just got the Indo and the results are ranked by 'chip time', which is a good 100+ places higher for me than the results based on 'gun time'. Im happy now :)

Thanks again RnR for a great day.

Don't believe what you read in the Indo ;):D

Thanks everyone! Yes, I agree that older and possibly now slower club runners do tend to starrt near the front, and I've always considered it a perfectly acceptable perk of experience! And I also agree that they are very unlikely to cause a nuisance or obstacle by starting too far forward.

Thanks for the Jack & Bob story. Bob sounds like a wily old fox! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Bad day for me in the office. After the first mile my legs went dead.
    Hell from there onwards. Eased down to 8 min miles for last 5 miles.

The zoo and walking around town yesterday might explain it.

Time 1:39:12 a pb of 50 secs. Will have to see how ten mile
    race goes in a few weeks. Bitterly disappointed.

As for race it was well organised.

Don't be too disheartened. 3 years ago for my first marathon I ran 1:38:39 in a half on a similarly tough course 12/13 weeks before Dublin and ran 3:24 in Dublin. Head down, follow a plan, work hard and you might just get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

RayCun wrote: »
    Two problems with going on chip time -

What happens if .... chip didn't register? Or there's a computer problem that means chip times won't be ready until the next day. What do you do at the prize-giving?

A great answer except for one terrible flaw to your arguement - Athletics Ireland. Not a chance in hell of them having age group results ready on race day.

Even though they knew my age (it was on the race number envelope) and I'm pretty sure I filled in my club details on registration when I was collecting my number I was still asked what category I'd be running and what club I was running for. This was all noted with pen on a printout beside the list of AAI registered athletes.

Could be a long time before those results come out...

A great event though. I didn't enjoy a bit of it because I had a terrible run but if I was having a good run I could see how it would have been a very enjoyable event. Thought the organisation and atmosphere was pretty good.

Some day I'm going to run a strong race all the way to the finish line and not get caught by an energetic Asimonov.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Dermo09

Ridiculous. The 1st person over the line is the winner, the 2nd person over the line is awarded 2nd place, the 3rd person over line is award... anyone?... and so on and so on and that's how it should be.
    That is only accurate for the elites and top club runners, not for the rest of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Omarscoming

Did anyone run with the 1.50 green balloon pacers? If so, what time did you run? I started in corral 6 and never caught up to them. I finished the race in 1.51 and I may have broke 1.50 with the pacers help.

Did anyone run with the 1.50 green balloon pacers? If so, what time did you run? I started in corral 6 and never caught up to them. I finished the race in 1.51 and I may have broke 1.50 with the pacers help.
    I ran with him for 16 Kms, but fell back over the last 5 k....i finished in 1.51 something, but I reckon he beat the 1.50 mark by 30 seconds or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

Dermo09 wrote: »
    I ran with him for 16 Kms, but fell back over the last 5 k....i finished in 1.51 something, but I reckon he beat the 1.50 mark by 30 seconds or so...

I started I Coral 6, having notified the organisers on registration that I was aiming for 2hours.
    I looked for the red balloon (2hr pacer) at the start, but no sign of it.....not until the halfway point in the park!
    So for the first 6.5 miles I was at pains to pace myself - each mile varying from just over 9 mins to nearly 10 mins.
    It was my first half mar, and I was really depending on a pacer.
    Do the pacers start in coral 1? If so, what's the point when the 2hr runners are way back, and can't see them.
    Maybe I just didn't see the red balloon, and it was in coral 6.
    As it turned out I stuck to the 2hr pacer from 6.5 mark to 11 mark, and broke for home then, and came in at 1hr55.
    In spite of above quibbles I thoroughly enjoyed the race.
    I could take or leave the live bands. The water stations and extras at each station were very good.
    Looking at registering for a 10 miler or another half now.

I started I Coral 6, having notified the organisers on registration that I was aiming for 2hours.
    I looked for the red balloon (2hr pacer) at the start, but no sign of it.....not until the halfway point in the park!
    So for the first 6.5 miles I was at pains to pace myself - each mile varying from just over 9 mins to nearly 10 mins.
    It was my first half mar, and I was really depending on a pacer.
    Do the pacers start in coral 1? If so, what's the point when the 2hr runners are way back, and can't see them.
    Maybe I just didn't see the red balloon, and it was in coral 6.
    As it turned out I stuck to the 2hr pacer from 6.5 mark to 11 mark, and broke for home then, and came in at 1hr55.
    In spite of above quibbles I thoroughly enjoyed the race.
    I could take or leave the live bands. The water stations and extras at each station were very good.
    Looking at registering for a 10 miler or another half now.

As you can see from this pic The pacers were spread out throughout the corrals only the 1:30 guy was near the front (corral 2). Did you catch the balloon or did it catch you? If it caught you then it started behind you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

You can't beat pictorial evidence!
    I caught up with the pacer.
    I was probably too wound up at the start to see it.
    But thanks to whoever the 2hr pacer was - made my first half a very positive experience.
    I now feel that I could have aimed for a 1hr 50 time, but was quite nervous going into my first one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Good win by Christie, and great to see a medal for the prolific racer Gary O Hanlon. Just wondering did Scullion run, also looked like O shea out front in a few pics I saw, must have been dns/dnfs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 carthaigh

blockic wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of when the team results will be posted? and where?
    They will be on the AI website, in the results section. http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=160
    They could take anything from a couple of days to weeks based on past experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

That is only accurate for the elites and top club runners, not for the rest of us...

Sorry, I have to disagree. It is the same for the rest of us. The gun goes off, the race starts, the last person crosses the line and the race is over. What does it matter if you are down as 367th rather than 323rd? If I am the 367th person to cross the line then 367th should be my awarded finishing position. My time tells me how fast I ran it and how fast other competitors ran. If someone stops to tie a shoelace should the clock be stopped and should it be factored into their finishing time? Yes everyone taking part in a championship race should get an equal opportunity at the start but even then some will want to position themselves at the front and some behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

brutes1 wrote: »
    Good win by Christie, and great to see a medal for the prolific racer Gary O Hanlon. Just wondering did Scullion run, also looked like O shea out front in a few pics I saw, must have been dns/dnfs ?

Christie a worthy winner.
    Scullion didn't start.
    O'Shea started but I don't know if he finished. Link to the results is no longer working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

wgtomblin wrote: »
    Christie a worthy winner.
    Scullion didn't start.
    O'Shea started but I don't know if he finished. Link to the results is no longer working for me.

Alan O' Shea (at about 10 miles) and Michael Shannon (at about 6 miles) were two notable DNF's.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

anyone know if there are pictures apart from marathon foto?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Anyone know if they are going to release more details stats either. Such as you position in your category.
    I noticed there was a timing mat about half way around but no mention of the time at that point. I would have thought such a big organisation would have had it linked to facebook, twitter etc.

Also, has anyone else still not received an official time yet???

• Advertisement

Also, has anyone else still not received an official time yet???

Chip times were in the Indo yesterday.

Advertisement