Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RocknRoll Half Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Oops69 wrote: »
    No sign of " free " parking at the expo on the Saturday though !!

Park in the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Park in the hotel?

"Parking is available at the hotel for €3 per hour for participants."

What does it cost for non participants...?

eoinín wrote: »
    "Parking is available at the hotel for €3 per hour for participants."

What does it cost for non participants...?

Think free parking by church on the sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There is plenty of free weekend parking around the Burlington at the weekends. Pretty much all of the streets heading from there to Ballsbridge are free to park on...

Any one know if the bar in the hotel does lunch, ie sandwiches etc. Going to bring the family in with me and let the three year old run riot in the expo:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

according to AAI, 6000 total entrants and 700 of those are championship entrants.
    I hear the water is in cups by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RayCun wrote: »
    according to AAI, 6000 total entrants and 700 of those are championship entrants.
    I hear the water is in cups by the way

i've entered through the AAI, but I'm in corral 3, which is probably where I should be pace wise. Are the AAI entrants just scattered through the corrals based on pace, or do we all start at the front like in the Great Irl Run? I was hoping to try to run with pacers for the first time, but won't be able to do that if I'm in a separate AAI corral!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't know, but if AAI entrants are going into different corrals it would suggest that you're mixed in with the plebs hoi polloi normal people other runners and will get a chance to follow the pacers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RayCun wrote: »
    I don't know, but if AAI entrants are going into different corrals it would suggest that you're mixed in with the plebs hoi polloi normal people other runners and will get a chance to follow the pacers

Hurrah! I think i'll go in corral 3 anyway. I don't think my club will be needing the likes of me for a team, so I'm going to give being paced (FOR FREE! :)) a go.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    i've entered through the AAI, but I'm in corral 3, which is probably where I should be pace wise. Are the AAI entrants just scattered through the corrals based on pace, or do we all start at the front like in the Great Irl Run? I was hoping to try to run with pacers for the first time, but won't be able to do that if I'm in a separate AAI corral!

I had figured that all AAI runners were in first 2 corrals but the fact you are in 3 blows that theory out of the water!! It's gonna be a mess if potential team scorers are held waiting at the start especially in case of women's and masters teams, they aren't necessarily going to have put down sub 1:25 predicted times!!

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    I had figured that all AAI runners were in first 2 corrals but the fact you are in 3 blows that theory out of the water!! It's gonna be a mess if potential team scorers are held waiting at the start especially in case of women's and masters teams, they aren't necessarily going to have put down sub 1:25 predicted times!!

In AAI we trust:eek:

Onto more important issues ;) Any interest in beers after the race.

There are some smatterings around the logs of a 3pm meet up somewhere in the city. Any interest?

There are some smatterings around the logs of a 3pm meet up somewhere in the city. Any interest?

Going swimming with the kids in the afternoon. So have to give it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'll hang around for a bit after alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

No issues picking up more than 1 number at AAI desk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Expo was bit of a head wreck. Crowded and a poor room. The American corporate vibe is fairly nauseating. Lots of tourists over for this one- was quite pronounced- must be because of the presence R and R has in other countries. That being said 25 YoYos for 2 t shirts and the half is pretty good value lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

drquirky wrote: »
    Expo was bit of a head wreck. Crowded and a poor room. The American corporate vibe is fairly nauseating. Lots of tourists over for this one- was quite pronounced- must be because of the presence R and R has in other countries. That being said 25 YoYos for 2 t shirts and the half is pretty good value lol

Head wreck is right. Don't think I heard an irish accent in there! Very cramped room with poor lighting and position of AAI desk could be better. Queue for merchandise was unreal! Tis only a half! No ID check on AAI desk anyway. Handy out.

Good vibe in there all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Dreading this now , I'm not an AAI member so I've no special desk to go to ,oh my god how am I gonna face all those awful tourists and Americans , HELP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I suppose I'll just have to relax and "whoop they assess" up chesterfield avenue on Monday , "smile and have a nice expo experience "!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

So, the 'swag bag' contained a load of leaflets, a Bulmers voucher and... a bag of Tayto!

They do have women's sizes for the tshirts, which I appreciated. The illuminous green will be useful too - quite a few of my favourite routes are on back roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Oops69 wrote: »
    Dreading this now , I'm not an AAI member so I've no special desk to go to ,oh my god how am I gonna face all those awful tourists and Americans , HELP!

Sorry can't help you there, there's no known cure for xenophobia.

We must have picked a good time (1pm) as the expo wasn't particularly crowded. It was busy alright but there were no queues. As others have mentioned I was amazed with how big a deal this seems to be with tourists. At Parkrun in Malahide this morning we met a group from the UK who had come to spend the long weekend here especially to do this race. And in the expo itself there were tons of Americans / Canadians milling around, posing for photos with plastic guitars and looking at expensive bland merchandise. It must be a really big thing in the U.S. and, presumably, a very enjoyable event, that so many people are prepared to spend so much to fly over for a half marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

sideswipe wrote: »
    Sorry can't help you there, there's no known cure for xenophobia.

Just FYI- I'm the one who made the comment about an "American corporate vibe" I kinda detest that part of American culture. As I am an American I wouldn't interpret my remarks as being critical though of anyone's nationality or the amount of tourists coming to this race- I actually think that part of it is pretty cool- nice to run a big, diverse race. I am however, puzzled by the cult like following of I feel like I am seeing around this race series- tbh just didn't expect it. Am really interested to run it on Monday now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Got there around 11.30, no problem with crowds, got my number and tee shirt in about two minutes I had ID but wasn't asked for it. The tee shirt is a very bright green, not sure if I would wear it out running. There was definitely a lot of tourists there from the States, seems a long way for a half marathon, it will be interesting to see the numbers on Monday.

The first speaker never turned up but I hung round for the dietitian and sports psyschologist, the pa system wasn't working so it was a bit hard to hear them but they were interesting enough. There was a good atmosphere. I did think the AAI desk had a queue even at that early time.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Just FYI- I'm the one who made the comment about an "American corporate vibe" I kinda detest that part of American culture. As I am an American I wouldn't interpret my remarks as being critical though of anyone's nationality or the amount of tourists coming to this race- I actually think that part of it is pretty cool- nice to run a big, diverse race. I am however, puzzled by the cult like following of I feel like I am seeing around this race series- tbh just didn't expect it. Am really interested to run it on Monday now!!
    Have to agree . I havent entered but am also now really interested to see what it will be like.sounds like it is going to be a different experience from the normal big races. Best of luck everyone. Passes by my house so hope to out supporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Went in with the family around 3pm. Busy enough but no real queues - managed to change my corral easily enough also. Both myself and the wife got asked for photo IDs - we were at different Corals so staff seem well trained to ask.

The tops are Brooks but they did seem odd fits - definitely oversized, perhaps for the US market? Thankfully when I went in there was no hassle swapping for a smaller size.

The goodie bag is really awful apart from a small pack of blister plasters - hopefully I won't need them :P

Had a quick walk around the expo - was keen on seeing the new Brooks Glycerin 11's but they didn't have them.

Unfortunately it also looked like the clampers were having a field day on those thinking they could get in and out without feeding the meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Fair enough drq. I know there has been a lot of eye rolling about this race and the whole 'American corporate vibe'. I just feel we should be embracing the tourist aspect of it. Having ran a few races in the states before, I love the way Americans organize a race, loads of positivity and energy with a genuinely huge welcome to oversees runners.

Good luck to everyone running, will be very interested to hear the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ireneod

Surely a goodie bag containing only a bag of Tayto is not a goodie bag ? And the womens tee sizes are TINY, I'm a size 10 had to get a Large !! So €55 for a tayto and tee, I know we will get a good medal but what a Rip Off. I expected more - today was very corporate and not an expo thing more like sports shops and not many at that....

I hope Monday goes better....

Ireneod wrote: »
    So €55 for a tayto and tee, I know we will get a good medal but what a Rip Off.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you may also get a half marathon thrown in too.

• Advertisement

eoinín wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but I think you may also get a half marathon thrown in too.

That u paid for.

Advertisement