Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RocknRoll Half Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Big Logger wrote: »
    You'll find most of them defending the price are not paying full price, they're regulars on the running circuit who run with clubs and most know each other here and back each other up even if their points are rubbish.

You are so right BL!! Keep fighting the good cause!
    By the way congrats on that race you ran recently...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

pconn062 wrote: »
    Sure we'll agree to disagree, enjoy the race (and the bag of tayto!), thankfully I didn't enter! ;)

I didn't enter either, my simple friend :D

belcarra wrote: »
    You are so right BL!! Keep fighting the good cause!
    By the way congrats on that race you ran recently...;)

I never ran a race in my life, i'm a jogger not a fighter. ;)

Big Logger wrote: »
    I never ran a race in my life, i'm a jogger not a fighter. ;)

Quelle surprise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

For my €25 and relative ease of combing a trip to Dublin for a match with going to the expo, I feel like I've gotten reasonable value so far.

Unlucky with the match ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

More insults please..... I'm loosing interest in this thread :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Unlucky with the match ;)

Smug fúkker!!

Ireneod wrote: »
    Fanore Half Marathon 25
    Boston Scientific Half Marathon 35
    Midlands Half Marathon 30
    Corrib Mask Half Marathon 30
    Lidl Run Kildare Half Marathon 39
    Waterford AC Half Marathon 26
    Valentia island Half Marathon 20
    Tarmonbarry Half Marathon 20
    Ferns Half Marathon 25

Despite what BL says I am not in the slightest a fan of this race; in fact in many ways I detest it!! However, you have used the top end price of this race (€55) and compared it against the early bird prices of other half marathons. Not exactly a fair comparison!! Hardly anyone will have paid more than €39 for the R&R and many will have only paid €25. Most of the prices you have quoted are early bird prices and will be a lot higher if you registered a few days before the event.

Despite what BL says I am not in the slightest a fan of this race; in fact in many ways I detest it!! However, you have used the top end price of this race (€55) and compared it against the early bird prices of other half marathons. Not exactly a fair comparison!! Hardly anyone will have paid more than €39 for the R&R and many will have only paid €25. Most of the prices you have quoted are early bird prices and will be a lot higher if you registered a few days before the event.

Very well spelled for a man who was probably on the beer all evening!!:D

belcarra wrote: »
    Smug fúkker!!

Seems like an insult but it is probably the nicest thing I have been called all night ;)

• Advertisement

Funny that, I don't remember mentioning you at all even though I dream about you every night :rolleyes:

39...is still higher than the others even if the woman was telling porkies.
    And no, most do not enter straight away, they wait to see if they will carry through with the training and have the free time for it. On the contrary most wait. Running organisers wouldn't give discounts at the start if that was the case.
    They rely on eager beavers like yourself getting injured or losing interest to make their early bird prices pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

The Facebook page for this race was continuously advertising discount codes. I entered on Monday just gone using a discount code they advertised and paid only €39. I'm not as fit as I would like to be for this but I'm looking forward to it as a bit of craic, plus the medal looks great (",)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Its a sad state of affairs when a National Race thread turns into a moan about value for money and the the quality of a goodie bag.

We need to get the focus back to quality races and racing, not goodie bags, medals and t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

ger664 wrote: »
    Its a sad state of affairs when a National Race thread turns into a moan about value for money and the the quality of a goodie bag.

We need to get the focus back to quality races and racing, not goodie bags, medals and t-shirts.

Well measured safe course with decent water stations and marshalls are the only really important things imo. On the other side of the coin if someone has been charged 50 plus euros I think they hsve a right to expect extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They never advertised a goodie bag either.

Once the course is accurate I be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

While we're all here... as tomorrow is my first half marathon, is there anything I should be doing today, or should be aware of tomorrow? As in, was there anything that surprised you lot on your first half that may not have occurred to me?

I'm drinking a ton of water today, sticking to food that I know will agree with me and plan on going for a short, slow run later to loosen out the legs.

I'm planning on parking a fair bit away from the start in the morning and using the walk/jog over as a warm up. I think the long walk back will help post-race as well. I'm going to stick to water along the route because I don't know if sports drinks agree with me. Oh, and I'm running with the two hour pacers. I might leave them at 10 miles if I'm feeling good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

vitani wrote: »
    While we're all here... as tomorrow is my first half marathon, is there anything I should be doing today, or should be aware of tomorrow? As in, was there anything that surprised you lot on your first half that may not have occurred to me?

I'm drinking a ton of water today, sticking to food that I know will agree with me and plan on going for a short, slow run later to loosen out the legs.

I'm planning on parking a fair bit away from the start in the morning and using the walk/jog over as a warm up. I think the long walk back will help post-race as well. I'm going to stick to water along the route because I don't know if sports drinks agree with me. Oh, and I'm running with the two hour pacers. I might leave them at 10 miles if I'm feeling good.

I am not very experienced, I think tomorrow will be my fifth or maybe sixth half, but I remember I was pretty nervous before my first about how to pace myself etc. you're going with pacers so you should be fine, but my advice would be to err on the side of going too easy rather than too hard. If you finish feeling you could have gone faster, you can always do that the next time. I used my first one for getting to know how long 13.1 feels in a race. Good luck! Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

vitani wrote: »

Sound like you are doing things right! This will be only my second so the memory of the first is quite fresh. I went off a bit too fast and really suffered during the last 5km. So as the previous poster said watch your pace at the beginning.
    I drank more water than usual the day before and ended up having to go to the bathroom a couple of times during the night, and then found it hard to get back to sleep. So I wouldn't go too nuts on the water today.
    I had done a few 10 mile runs in the weeks preceding the half but I had never covered the full distance and was kind of relying on the occasion to get me over the last stretch - I found myself feeling really empty at around 16 km. I had eaten my usual cereal with chopped up banana. I'll be throwing an extra banana in tomorrow morning.
    I'm hoping for 1:55 so ill probably be running nearby to you. I get very red in the face and generally look an awful lot worse than I actually feel, so don't go calling the paramedics! :-)
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Love this from the facebook page:

There's some serious bling here at the Rock 'n' Roll Dublin EXPO today! How many of you have some of these rockin' medals already?

Hopefully we might tempt some of our Irish athletes to travel around the world to start their Rock 'n' Roll collection!

I'm not sure my reply is in keeping with the rest of them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Love this from the facebook page:

There's some serious bling here at the Rock 'n' Roll Dublin EXPO today! How many of you have some of these rockin' medals already?

Hopefully we might tempt some of our Irish athletes to travel around the world to start their Rock 'n' Roll collection!

I'm not sure my reply is in keeping with the rest of them!!

Nice one , good to see the Irish rebel spirit is still alive from this thread , keep it going guys , great craic to have a good debate about a race instead of the usual yawnfest comments like " my garmin was 4 secs faster than my chip time " ," the course was 10 metres too long " , yawn yawn , yawn , but in all fairness , a manky patch of Tayto as a goody bag !, salt and vinegar as well and no cardboard nature valley bar for my horse ,looks like the only ones " bagging the swag " From this one are competitor group !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Oops69 wrote: »
    Nice one , good to see the Irish rebel spirit is still alive from this thread , keep it going guys , great craic to have a good debate about a race instead of the usual yawnfest comments like " my garmin was 4 secs faster than my chip time " ," the course was 10 metres too long " , yawn yawn , yawn , but in all fairness , a manky patch of Tayto as a goody bag !, salt and vinegar as well and no cardboard nature valley bar for my horse ,looks like the only ones " bagging the swag " From this one are competitor group !

reads more like the spirit of liveline to me - but at least it helps those who need a home for their outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    reads more like the spirit of liveline to me - but at least it helps those who need a home for their outrage.

Looks like well be having more boring comments about garmins and marshals tomorrow then

Oops69 wrote: »
    Looks like well be having more boring comments about garmins and marshals tomorrow then

i'd be hoping to chat about effort, splits and team placings. But if you wanna bitch about crisps too - that's cool with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

anyone know if theres still kerbs and bollards at the turn from Charlemont place onto Harcourt Terrace? Would be unfortunate to trip over that after 13 miles...

Voucher for free pint of cider in my bag too, can't wait to go on the piss at ten o clock in the morning, that'd go down like a lead balloon.. I got cheese and onion tayto, lovely..

On a more serious note, what's the field like upfront? I heard hehir was running, didn't hear Pollock mentioned?

On a more serious note, what's the field like upfront? I heard hehir was running, didn't hear Pollock mentioned?

Pollock is running world champs the next week - this from AAI has Mark Christie as favourite for the men's but is a little more ambiguous about the women's race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    Pollock is running world champs the next week - this from AAI has Mark Christie as favourite for the men's but is a little more ambiguous about the women's race.

We won't be keeping our team gold :( Unless other clubs are as down on runners as we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I am not very experienced, I think tomorrow will be my fifth or maybe sixth half, but I remember I was pretty nervous before my first about how to pace myself etc. you're going with pacers so you should be fine, but my advice would be to err on the side of going too easy rather than too hard. If you finish feeling you could have gone faster, you can always do that the next time. I used my first one for getting to know how long 13.1 feels in a race. Good luck! Enjoy it!

Fair point. I'll keep my ego in check tomorrow. :)
    I'm hoping for 1:55 so ill probably be running nearby to you. I get very red in the face and generally look an awful lot worse than I actually feel, so don't go calling the paramedics! :-)
    Enjoy!

We'll be twins so! Thanks for the tips. I'll bear them in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

collected my pack there....it's like a zoo, grabbed my 2 t-shirts and tayto and got out as quick as possible. really handy for me having a race this distance so close to the city centre, will make the most of t.

Advertisement