Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RocknRoll Half Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Where would be a good place to park in the morning. My driver really won't want to walk too far and I will be like a mad woman having a nervous breakdown in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dundrummer

kildaremum wrote: »
    Where would be a good place to park in the morning. My driver really won't want to walk too far and I will be like a mad woman having a nervous breakdown in the car.

If you want to avoid driving in the city centre, an option might be to park out and get the Green Luas into the start/finish at St Stephens Green?

http://www.luas.ie/park-and-ride/

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Just went to the expo, anyone else have trouble with their number? Mine was wrong but they had a pack under a different number. Someone had taken my husbands number pack so he had to get a new number after three attempts. There seemed to be a good few with same issue.

Also had to settle for a mans medium t shirt as the ladies small sizes were gone. Maybe I'll grow into it!

ellie_sun the ladies t shirts were really small and they seemed to be running short yesterday because they gave me a mens extra small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Very quiet there at 3. Not a great expo but I dont care for that.

Roll on tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

You pay for the race, even at €39 it was slightly over the odds but not massively so. 8.30am on a bank holiday Monday is a stupid time to start, nothing open for supporters and no passing crowd to cheer runners on.

It's a new venture in Ireland, my wife and a bunch of her friends are doing it as it offered more than a traditional race. It may be big & brash but that's what it is and it has obvious appeal as there are 6000 people lining up tomorrow, many of whom I'd say it is their first shot at this distance.

It mightn't appeal to the more traditional club runner but if it gets more people involved in our sport then I'm for it.

The goody bag is **** though, it mightn't be an essential part of the run, but there would be reasonable expectation that there would be more than a bag of crisps and some vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

As an aside, the bag is not the domain of the R&R people though, they contract it out to a local company, same as the expo, the same company sell the stands at that.

You pay for the race, even at €39 it was slightly over the odds but not massively so. 8.30am on a bank holiday Monday is a stupid time to start, nothing open for supporters and no passing crowd to cheer runners on.

It's a new venture in Ireland, my wife and a bunch of her friends are doing it as it offered more than a traditional race. It may be big & brash but that's what it is and it has obvious appeal as there are 6000 people lining up tomorrow, many of whom I'd say it is their first shot at this distance.

It mightn't appeal to the more traditional club runner but if it gets more people involved in our sport then I'm for it.

The goody bag is **** though, it mightn't be an essential part of the run, but there would be reasonable expectation that there would be more than a bag of crisps and some vouchers.

Sure dublin marathon is at 9am on a winter bank holiday. Still loads out for it.
    Not running it to see a crowd. Running cause I like to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Sure dublin marathon is at 9am on a winter bank holiday. Still loads out for it.
    Not running it to see a crowd. Running cause I like to run.

I agree with Killian, absolutely ridiculous starting a race at 8.30, maybe its more expensive to start later as there would be more disruption and may need more Policing etc.
    The crowd is nice to see especially running through the streets of Dublin.
    Dublin Marathon is a completely different kettle of fish, its a special event and would draw a crowd any time of the day cause it is a marathon in a capital after all.

• Advertisement

Big Logger wrote: »
    I agree with Killian, absolutely ridiculous starting a race at 8.30, maybe its more expensive to start later as there would be more disruption and may need more Policing etc.
    The crowd is nice to see especially running through the streets of Dublin.
    Dublin Marathon is a completely different kettle of fish, its a special event and would draw a crowd any time of the day cause it is a marathon in a capital after all.

Can't expect road closures for up to 3 hours on the busiest bank hol either.
    That's why its early too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    Pollock is running world champs the next week - this from AAI has Mark Christie as favourite for the men's but is a little more ambiguous about the women's race.

Christie definitely has to be the favourite, although I can see Scullion giving him a good run for his money. Shame Pollock isn't running, would be a great race between him and Christie.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

8.30am on a bank holiday Monday is a stupid time to start, nothing open for supporters and no passing crowd to cheer runners on.

I did the Clew Bay half a few weeks ago and that started at 12, with the 30 degree weather it would have been a bit easier at 8. I don't think I would risk a late start in Ireland this summer until I saw the weather that day so I'm glad of the early start this time!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck boys and girls, can't make it to Dun Laoghaire so I'll be out at mile 9 and mile 12. I'll be the awesome one, you can't miss me. :D

Best of luck boys and girls, can't make it to Dun Laoghaire so I'll be out at mile 9 and mile 12. I'll be the awesome one, you can't miss me. :D

Please have cake for us:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Better yet, have cake for the water station at mile 9.3. We can eat it in front of slow Americans :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Better yet, have cake for the water station at mile 9.3. We can eat it in front of slow Americans :)

Are you giving out water there? That's the closest one to me but was thinking of heading to start/mlie 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Enough talk about crisps. What's everyone's strategy? High point seems to be from the entrance to the park up to the top of Chesterfield which is a good drag but time can be made coming down the other side of the park. What's it like after Chapelizod? Does it follow the Dublin route for long? And what is it like to the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Any idea how to attach the cable tie to the gear check paper tag to the swag bag?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Enough talk about crisps. What's everyone's strategy? High point seems to be from the entrance to the park up to the top of Chesterfield which is a good drag but time can be made coming down the other side of the park. What's it like after Chapelizod? Does it follow the Dublin route for long? And what is it like to the finish?

Once you hit the Chapelizod gate it follows the route for about 2 miles, in DCM you'd turn right at Dolpins Barn up towards Crumlin but you'll be going straight through up the SCR. So yeah mile 8.5 or so at Donore to about 10.5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Are you giving out water there? That's the closest one to me but was thinking of heading to start/mlie 12.

Yeah, we're at the water/sports drink station at the top of the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

SnailsPace wrote: »
    Any idea how to attach the cable tie to the gear check paper tag to the swag bag?

I put the cable tie through the hole in the paper tag and then around the rope handle of the bag and closed the tie. Not sure if that's how you're supposed to do it though. I also wrote my number on the bag in a couple of places in case the tag gets detached.

What time u looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What time u looking for?

Prob gonna head out around 1:40 pace and take it from there. You?

Yeah, we're at the water/sports drink station at the top of the hill

Nice one. If I'm too lazy to get up early I'll just be hitting up that spot so might see you there. Be funny watching you trying to get water out as the hordes hit. :)

Prob gonna head out around 1:40 pace and take it from there. You?

Think I go for.1:35. Running strongly over 10k so the half will answer a lot of questions for new york. I have to break 135 for me to go for 330.

Nice one. If I'm too lazy to get up early I'll just be hitting up that spot so might see you there. Be funny watching you trying to get water out as the hordes hit. :)

No pressure but I like my water cold:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey!! I heard that! ;):)

(And by the way...the goody bags over here in the states are typically crap, so what you got is pretty "normal" by our standards. I'm always amazed at the bounty you folks find in your bags. Shoot, even your bags that your bounty comes in are better than our bags!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey!! I heard that! ;):)

(And by the way...the goody bags over here in the states are typically crap, so what you got is pretty "normal" by our standards. I'm always amazed at the bounty you folks find in your bags. Shoot, even your bags that your bounty comes in are better than our bags!!!)

I once got a goody bag that had a sachet of dioralyte and some ads for pharmacy products. It was a small charity race (obviously sponsored by a local pharmacy) so we didn't mind, it was just funny to be handed a bag at the finish of a really hot, hilly race and delve into it hoping for a banana and come out with a rehydration sachet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 iliketibet

Presume it's mile markers, not kilometre markers? Doesn't say on website

Advertisement