Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RocknRoll Half Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

iliketibet wrote: »
    Presume it's mile markers, not kilometre markers? Doesn't say on website

Miles are marked on their map & they are Americans so using KM's would be unusual for them

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ireneod

I believe there will be km marks every 5k - according to Facebook page...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 iliketibet

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I thought the race was well organised. The corralled start seemed to work well. The course was a brute but no complaints there, it was a championship race and it's the same for everyone. My only gripe would be the water in cups but thankfully it wasn't too warm so it wasn't too much of a problem.

No PB for me but happy enough with my performance all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dundrummer

Really enjoyed that, and knocked over 2 mins off my previous PB - not sure where that came from!

The large number of non-Irish, especially Americans, at the start was very noticeable compared to the usual Dublin races! The attraction associated with the Rock'n'Roll series must be a lot bigger than I ever realised

Weather was perfect, with the rain holding off. Also picked up plenty of snacks and goodies at the finish; maybe people would have preferred it if they had put a few of them in the goodie bag instead...

Could be tempted again next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I had a great bit of craic this morning. I wasn't PB hunting so took it easy and really enjoyed just running around the city and hearing the bands. I surprised myself when I came in under 1:35:00 so was delighted with that. Would definitely be tempted back next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Mark christie won the mens race followed by sean hehir.
    Lizzie lee won womens race from gladys ganiel.

Tough course. Was in a good group till 10k. Didnt have the stamina to keep going hard after, fading particularly badly on all subsequent hills. May have to enter dublin half now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Enjoyed this event. Thought the course was great and more scenic for overseas visitors than other races. Had a heavy night on the beer after the Dublin match on sat so wasn't expecting much but ended up with a PB! Might add a massive session to all future race preps!
    Medal is nice and end was well organised.
    They gave cups on the route but bottles at the finish line. Would be much better if they reversed that as cups are just ****e.
    Will be back next year with a more serious approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

A very enjoyable race. Good buzz at the start, corrals seemed to work well, plenty of volunteers at the baggage area, it seemed a bit odd that it was based on your surname as opposed to race number. Ran with the 1.40 pacer to ten miles and ran hard for the last 3, got home in under 95mins.

The music was good along the course and definitely added to the atmosphere in the Phoneix Park we had Nutbush City limits, Whisky in the jar, Trouble and left the park to Teenage Kicks. Plenty of goodies at the finish, medal is nice, there was a big queue of people getting them engraved.

I seen a good few tops from other Rock 'n Races, I wonder how many of the entrants were from abroad? Still think the race is overpriced at full price, I got in for 36 which isn't to bad for what you get. I would have though AAI entry at 25 was good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Thoroughly enjoyed that. I ran with the 2 hour pacers until about 4 miles, then managed to lose them at the second water stop. Came in well under the 2 hour mark, so I'm delighted.

The course had its moments but overall was manageable. I appreciated the water stop straight after the worst hill, and the support from the volunteers and marshalls was great. The bands were a nice way to tick off the miles.

To be honest, I couldn't have asked for a better experience for my first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Bad day for me in the office. After the first mile my legs went dead.
    Hell from there onwards. Eased down to 8 min miles for last 5 miles.

The zoo and walking around town yesterday might explain it.

Time 1:39:12 a pb of 50 secs. Will have to see how ten mile
    race goes in a few weeks. Bitterly disappointed.

As for race it was well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Best race to date. 1:28 thank you very much! I have a supply of gels and bars for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Very well organised race. Corralled start worked very well. Good course which wasn't too challenging. Music at each mile was a nice touch. Definitely the best race I've paced. Hope people were happy with their time and the overall experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Best race to date. 1:28 thank you very much! I have a supply of gels and bars for a few months.

Good talking to you for a few miles there Wolf...

Good running there for a nice time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Hard day for me. The two weeks without running really showed me up, still 1:28:53 not the worst result...

Day off tomorrow, then back into the DCM training proper..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

My garmin was out by....

The start was a little congested and took until the Quays almost for things to spread out a bit. The drag along Chesterfield cost me a little bit of time, but the downhills afterwards afforded the opportunity to make up for this. The hill out of Chapelizod was steeper than I realised but relatively short. As I live around SCR it's a route I'm familiar with so I was able to boot it like a country driver on a dark night - well at least mentally I could. The finish line was a bit too open. Water cups are annoying but it's an acquired skill, the isotonic drinks were handy. The bands were great and fair play to the volunteers.

All in all, it was nice to be able to run along the roads of our capital. Respectable spread at the finish, complete with vomit bags. The medal actually looks half decent. I paid €39 euro, wouldn't go above €40 to do it. AAI members got a great bargain. Picking up the number in person is a pain, but I can see the commercial reasons behind it. Finished in 1:32 knocking 4 mins off my Clontarf time, so well pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Light years better than I expected, well organised, toughish course in reasonable weather, a bit breezy in spots. Great to see so many visitors running in the city & for €25, surprisingly good value with 2 technical tops.
    I could have done with signage saying "500 metres to go" near the end as the finish straight seem to creep up on you very quickly. And felt a bit sorry for the slower runners as a few water stops ran dry, as did the earlier laden tables at the finish. But well done to all involved on a grand day.

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Good talking to you for a few miles there Wolf...

Good running there for a nice time.

Yes you too thanks, I was very socialable today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

T runner wrote: »
    Mark christie won the mens race followed by sean hehir.
    Lizzie lee won womens race from gladys ganiel.

Gary O'Hanlon came 3rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Anyone know when/where results will be published?

• Advertisement

T runner wrote: »
    Anyone know when/where results will be published?

7pm on http://ie.competitor.com/dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Excellent race though I had no idea phoenix park was such a b*-!h!! Atmosphere was great, music was a real boost. Came home well over my pb even though it was probably one of my favourite courses.
    I have a supply of gels and bars for a few months.

I saw someone grab a box at the finish line, months supply?! I got a look for taking two!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

After doing my first half in clontarf last year in 2:26, I had hopes of bringing that down to 2:15 this year... First attempt was the clontarf half a few weeks ago when I blew up in spectacular style (had to walk a couple of miles :eek:) due to the heat
    Was delighted with conditions this morning, much cooler and less humid than recent weeks; wasn't sure what to expect from myself but ended up coming in around 2:17 so I'm delighted with that!
    The race was very well organised though I agree with previous comments about the water cups, and the less said about the "swag bag" the better! But overall very enjoyable day out, specially enjoyed rocking out to thunderstruck by the band just before chapelizod, there was a mini mosh pit starting as I went past!

ellie_sun wrote: »
    Excellent race though I had no idea phoenix park was such a b*-!h!! Atmosphere was great, music was a real boost. Came home well over my pb even though it was probably one of my favourite courses.

I saw someone grab a box at the finish line, months supply?! I got a look for taking two!

I was joking I took a couple too.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

I was joking I took a couple too.

I was only messing, I was around two hours ten so there was no chance it was gonna be you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

After doing my first half in clontarf last year in 2:26, I had hopes of bringing that down to 2:15 this year... First attempt was the clontarf half a few weeks ago when I blew up in spectacular style (had to walk a couple of miles :eek:) due to the heat
    Was delighted with conditions this morning, much cooler and less humid than recent weeks; wasn't sure what to expect from myself but ended up coming in around 2:17 so I'm delighted with that!
    The race was very well organised though I agree with previous comments about the water cups, and the less said about the "swag bag" the better! But overall very enjoyable day out, specially enjoyed rocking out to thunderstruck by the band just before chapelizod, there was a mini mosh pit starting as I went past!

haha...You should go to Mc Gowans in Phibsboro...they've been playing that song every Sat night for the past 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Well that was tough but fun! I couldn't fault the organisers for anything - it all seemed to go off without a hitch. I hadn't been particularly bothered by the bands but they actually provided a good distraction and warning of when you were nearing a mile marker. The faster tempo music really pushed me and conversly I found it hard to get going past some of the slower ones. I was surprised that 3 of the bands were DJs / Itunes playlists - could they not find 13 bands in Dublin? Maybe 8.30 is too early for those living a rock n roll lifestyle.

Those two long straight drags (Chesterfield Avenue and Chapilizod Road) were demoralising. It was quite trying to keep the motivation and pace up on these monotonous stretches that had little or no support on them. The support, where there was some, was most welcome. So thanks to anyone who cheered us on.

I was aiming for 1.35 and spent the whole race jumping from slightly ahead to slightly behind the correct race pace. At 10km I was bang on target but found it hard to keep it going after that, especially on the hills / humpbacked bridges. 1.35 was touch and go up until the last mile when I really tried to give it everything. On the second last corner I risked it all by slowing to give the excellently located metal band the devil's horn finger salute \m/ . It was worth it! A final sprint got me across the line in 1.35.00, which I was delighted with. Hopefully the chip time will knock a few seconds off that.

All in all a well organised race and I'd definitely consider doing it again if the price was ca €30-€35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Have to say this was pretty well organised. Baggage area was efficient and no messing about at all

A few hiccups during the first mile (A steward standing in the street nearly imitated the stampede scene from the lion king and a police barrier sticking right out at a turn) but not the fault of the organisation here

Today was one to be forgotten for me, took it out what should have been very conservative but soon realised over estimated my fitness and settled in and head dropped

The bands were novel and a few of them really got me out of my mental comfort zone

Course itself one of the tougher ones I have done in a while but enjoyable in a masochistic kinda way :p

Good meeting new and old boards faces throughout the race

Now time to actually get in shape :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I survived!!! Its my first time doing a half having only done 5 and 10k's up to this point so no pb to compare it to but had beaten my 10k pb according to the clock at in the park so very happy with that. I found it tough going at times, mentally more so than physically, esp around the 9-10 mile mark but crossing that finish line felt incredible. I would definately do it again next year if the price is a bit cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gate22

Really enjoyed todays Rock n Roll half marathon event, my first run outside a 5k or 10k I normally do. The stewards were fantastic and the crowd were too, price for me was just about right but the AAI deal was great value. I was a little worried after I had to go in and collect my goodie (flyers/voucher) bag but everything else was great to make it good value. The start in our corral aroung mid point flowed well and to be fair everyone got into it, drink stations were in great locations and the park was a mental challenge but the hill after you go under the flyover was a physical battle but I felt today was really rewarding and I aimed for 2.15 and got in 2.13 so delighted

Advertisement