Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RocknRoll Half Marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Pleasantly surprised. Organisation was really good- race started bang on time and with little fuss. Course was hard but really nice and a proper championship track. Happy enough with my run stayed consistent and steady throughout. Would recommend this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

Nice to see people leave plenty for those finishing behind you - NOT!!!!!

Really well organised event. A number of the bands could have done better advertising their name. Can only recall 2 who did. Already thinking about next years - but not too much as the body needs to recover :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

NewWheels wrote: »
    Nice to see people leave plenty for those finishing behind you - NOT!!!!!

Easy solution- train harder/ run faster next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Alanm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

Some results available now on http://sport.independent.ie/marathon/rock-n-roll-half-marathon-dublin-2013/50

Nice to see a runner/triathlete Lizzie Lee win with three from the European mountain running championships in 2nd (Gladys Ganiel), 4th (Claire McCarthy), and 5th (Kate Cronin) as well as Eoin Flynn in fourth in the men's race. Add in former competitors from the World/European mountain running championships (Sean Hehir 2nd, Gary O'Hanlon 3rd, and Fiona Roche 3rd)!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Dundrummer

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭napathy

Dundrummer wrote: »
    Mine isn't !

:(

Hmmm mine isn't either, anyone know who was the timing company, might be on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bob The Nero

I didn't run today but I saw parts of the race and was envious of everyone, so as soon as I got home from work the runners went on and out I went for a five miler, so thanks everyone for the inspiration and well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

ecoli wrote: »
    Baggage area was efficient and no messing about at all

Thanks :) I was in the baggage area today and we managed to keep things moving. Its an "easy access" area anyway with no choke points

I was stunned by the lack of readiness of one lad, who arrived after the gun had gone off for the first wave... he didnt really know what he was doing - he quickly handed over his bag, complete with unopened envelope, and started walking away. I called him back and explained he at least needed his number attached to his bib. It was the fastest bag, tag and pin the number to the bib I've ever seen. He got going fairly quick anyway once we sorted him out.

The other thing I noticed for the first time (I'm usually running so wouldnt normally see it), is a mass synchronised exodus of people running OUT of the portaloos after the gun went off... it was Monty Python-esque. :)

Enjoyable day and thankfully (for us) it didnt rain.

Muppet Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

napathy wrote: »
    Hmmm mine isn't either, anyone know who was the timing company, might be on their site?

Give it another hour or so. Bear in mind as well that it's the position that's the number on the left, not your bib number. That threw me at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 seatrump

I enjoyed the race. I thought it was well organized. The course was not as entertaining as I thought. I found the park to be a little monotonous but I understand why it went there since it makes it easier to control traffic. Still, aren't there some nice runs along the bay that could be incorporated?

Thanks to the 1:30 pacer I set a PB at 1:28:54 so overall I'm happy. I'm gratified to see everyone say they found the course tough. I didn't since I was having a good day I suppose. I live overseas but come to Ireland every year for about 6 weeks in the summer and always try to do at least one race. I'd consider this again only if they put in a full marathon since I don't do many halfs or shorter..

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

seatrump wrote: »
    I enjoyed the race. I thought it was well organized. The course was not as entertaining as I thought. I found the park to be a little monotonous but I understand why it went there since it makes it easier to control traffic. Still, aren't there some nice runs along the bay that could be incorporated?

Thanks to the 1:30 pacer I set a PB at 1:28:54 so overall I'm happy.

I saw one or two people with entire boxes of the finish line goodies. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I felt bad after taking a couple of bars and gels now I feel ok. Was it like a full box?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seatrump

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    I felt bad after taking a couple of bars and gels now I feel ok. Was it like a full box?

I edited my post because I felt bad I used crass language. Yes, the box appeared to be full. I was surprised the volunteers allowed her to take it but perhaps she snuck it out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Enjoyed the race today. Thought it was well organised as well. Kept effort the same up chesterfield knowing I'd make the time back on the far side of the park. Felt good and picked it up for last 3 miles to finish in 1:37:52 about 94 seconds quicker than Bohermeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

seatrump wrote: »
    I edited my post because I felt bad I used crass language. Yes, the box appeared to be full. I was surprised the volunteers allowed her to take it but perhaps she snuck it out....

It seemed like a free 4 all. I seen non runners reaching over taking stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dundrummer

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    It seemed like a free 4 all. I seen non runners reaching over taking stuff too.

I saw this happening as well. A couple of kids - definitely not runners - had one of the energy bars' boxes and were running from stand to stand stuffing it until it was overflowing with the bars, jellies, etc.

Looks unfortunate that they may need to put on better security around the finish and/or put the goodies in the pick-up bag instead to make sure no-one misses out

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Really enjoyed today, nice weather conditions, good course, well organised.
    Was my second time doing a half and paced it correctly this time, hit my target time too, chopping five minutes off my first attempt.
    Well done to all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Congrats to whoever was responsible for bringing this race series to Dublin. 1259 runners from the USA and nearly 500 from UK. Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Really enjoyed it too, great race. My brother and I raced to the finish, he beat me by 5 seconds. Class !!

Photos here shortly ...

http://www.marathonfoto.com/site/home

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Good race today, as discussed before the race its not ideal to have the half marathon champs tied in with a big money-maker but on the plus side we get to have a our club runners race with water and feed stations on closed roads in Dublin. If they posted numbers out to the clubs / or you could pick up your number in the morning i'd definitely enter again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 unorganised lad

hey man, thanks for sorting me out, think that was me!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ciantheod

RB your as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Congrats to whoever was responsible for bringing this race series to Dublin. 1259 runners from the USA and nearly 500 from UK. Fair play!

Surprised at those stats. I thought there would have been more from North America, considering it is (I think) a US enterprise. Another interesting stat, as far as I understand, is that North American (US and Canadian) entries to the Dublin marathon traditionally were 60% of all entrants up until recent years before home based numbers improved. Ballycotton also tends to be a pull for overseas entrants attracting a sizeable contingent of UK based runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Another interesting stat, as far as I understand, is that North American (US and Canadian) entries to the Dublin marathon traditionally were 60% of all entrants up until recent years before home based numbers improved.

Are you sure that's not 60% of overseas entrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

RayCun wrote: »
    Are you sure that's not 60% of overseas entrants?

Possibly but I am sure I was told 60% were from North America. Always good to see visitors here irrespective of where they come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Anyone have an idea of when the team results will be posted? and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

Anybody know if the results are in any of the printed newspapers today? Irish Independent?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Anybody know if the results are in any of the printed newspapers today? Irish Independent?

Thanks

The Irish Independent has them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

blockic wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of when the team results will be posted? and where?

They will be posted on Athletics Ireland website

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=160

But it normally takes them a few days..

Advertisement