Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my 19 month old eat too much?

Options
  • 05-07-2013 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I'm beginning to wonder if my little girl eats too much, it seems that she is always eating or always wanting to eat something. At the moment, this is what she eats:

6.45ish: 1 weetabix/ rice crispies with milk
    10.30am: Fruit and 150ml cow's milk
    1.30pm: She has her main meal of the day at this time - could be anything from a small portion of spag bol to fish and veg (basically whatever we're eating) and some fruit for dessert (small kiwi/banana/a few grapes etc)
    4.30pm: snack of cheese/crackers/raisins/yoghurt
    6.30pm: sandwich/scrambled egg/fish fingers/toasted sandwich and fruit or yoghurt for dessert.
    7.45pm: 200ml cow's milk before bed

Does this seem a lot for her age? It has been a while since I measured her but she's about 82cm and weighs 11k. She is very active and constantly runs around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if she's not getting too tubby i wouldn't worry about it personally.

ours is 22 months now, growing very fast (upwards) and eats like a horse, but he's not getting fat and runs around constantly in that flat out, forward leaning, inches away from falling on his face way that they do at that age. :)

nothing wrong with lots of healthy food if they're burning it all off imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

She has a bit of a tummy on her but I definitely wouldn't call her tubby.
    At least she eats fairly healthily with the odd treat a few times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Xdancer that seems normal enough to me. They go through so many phases of eating nothing or next to nothing that I always try to give O lots of good food when he's eating well.

O has started to slim down in the last couple of months as he's growing. He's almost 2.5yrs and was quite tubby beforehand. However I wasnt worried as he's only a toddler and he only eats healthy food with very few treats. 19 months is still very young so don't worry too much about her weight or size. It'll all even out in the next year as she grows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Seems normal enough to me as well.

My little one is nearly 2.5 and would eat all day if I let her. She has milk in the morning and before bed, Weetabix for breakfast, a full dinner at about 1, another portion of veg and potatoes when we're having our dinner in the evening, and snacks on top of that. But she's still skinny as a rake because she spends most of her day running around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My little man is 21 months, 14kg and 87cm, and would eat similar since around 14 months. They burn off a lot of energy so I wouldn't hold back if they're looking for food. As long as there's no push to finish meals etc and she's eating to appetite, I'd say she's just perfect :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Thanks for your replies.
    I think I had a moment of paranoia as someone commented "she's not going to eat all that, is she??!!!" when they saw herdinner (about 4 dessert spoons of lasagne I think) and it made me second guess myself for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter is only 14 months and probably eats around the same amount. Shes not tubby but like you said has a bit if a belly. She is constantly going also so im not too worried. I havent measured her recently but most people think shes around 18 months so prob tall.
    I always get the will she eat that much comments. Most days she eays better than her 5 year old cousins.
    Her breakfast 1 and a half weetabix at 8
    Snack of 2 yogurts at 11
    Lunch at 1.30 scramble egg and toast or beans and toast or soup. Ps she eats half a tin of beans .
    Snack at 4 of fruit puree (will not eat fruit in its proper form so only way to get it in to her) and a rice cake
    Dinner at 6 which is what ever we have maybe 2 scoops of potatoe, meat and veg
    Then has something small before bed. Little bit of ready brek maybe or mashed rusk.
    She drinks her milk from beakers and prob drinks 300ml a day along with what ever is in her food.
    I think because they are so active and growing so fast i wouldnt be too worried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I wouldn't even /think/ about my fellas weight until he's 3 or more. As long as he's not eating crap he can eat as much he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

We have a 22 month old and we pretty much give him 3 meals per day with snacks in between, I reckon as long as your daughter is eating healthy (the food you described sounds nutritious), then I wouldn't worry bout her weight, she is growing at an incredible speed therefore is going to require a lot of nutritional calories.

Advertisement