Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 year old on a 13.2 pony?

Options
  • 05-07-2013 10:47am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My 10 year old daughters 12.2 pony got injured a few weeks ago and thankfully after some great work by our vet he should make a full recovery. However he's out of action for the rest of the year to make sure he makes a full recovery.

Because of this I'm thinking of getting a new pony to keep her going (she was doing fantastic this year up to this). A good friend of ours breeds ponies and he trained her up on a really good forward going pony for a show 3 weeks ago to see how she got on and she flew around, loving the extra pace and height the pony jumped. He reckoned to leave her on the 12.2's for another two years and then a 13.2 for a year before moving up again. I was thinking of just getting a good 13.2 now and let her have the 3 years on it altogether but he wasn't to keen on me doing that even though my daughter is a tough competent rider.

What do ye think? Get another 12.2 for 2 years or go for the 13.2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Been there OP and unless you suspect some hidden agenda (such as trying to sell you another 12.2) I think the best thing would be to follow the advice of the trainer.

Don’t be thinking he doesn’t rate your child just because he is against her moving up. I have seen a few parents fall into that trap, buying inappropriate ponies in an effort to prove the doubters wrong as it were.

If you are still thinking 13.2, then don’t make a decision based on that single outing 3 weeks ago with the forward going pony.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I know that he would have my daughters best interests in mind and that he's not trying to sell us a pony (even though he sells top end show jumping ponies!)

She has rode a lot of different ponies over the last 5/6 years and in recent months has rode a lot of higher level ponies than her own so we know she is capable of riding them. She is in her comfort zone jumping 80's on her own pony but he had her jumping a 1.0m course at ease on numerous occasions on one of his and she loved it. This is also another reason she wants a new pony!!

I've no problem buying her another 12.2 (will be a grade A/B next time) but was just was thinking of getting her on the 13.2 for the rest of this year and have her ready for next year. I also forgot to mention that she is very tall for her age which is another reason for looking at the taller pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I know that he would have my daughters best interests in mind and that he's not trying to sell us a pony (even though he sells top end show jumping ponies!)

Why do you think he is cautioning against a 138 then?

If you are in the market for a grade A 128 you can jump away at 1m until the end of the child's 12th year.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Why do you think he is cautioning against a 138 then?

If you are in the market for a grade A 128 you can jump away at 1m until the end of the child's 12th year.

I don't know why, that's what I was wondering what ye would say.

I can't see her on a 12.2 next year - she's nearly too tall for one as it is!

Decisions decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

If you feel your daughter is too tall for 12.2s and you find a suitable 13.2, then maybe.
    What is your daughters opinion? Do you know much about horses? Would you be able to notice a suitable pony? If you dont know much, I'd heed the advice of others but get a few opinions.
    We, as an internet forum, do not know your daughter and do not know what she is or isn't able for so can't offer the same sound advice someone who knows her would. Personally, I like 12.2s. They're athletic and fun! Wish I was a foot smaller so I could ride them properly but alas, as light as i am, I'm far too top heavy :P

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    If you feel your daughter is too tall for 12.2s and you find a suitable 13.2, then maybe.
    What is your daughters opinion? Do you know much about horses? Would you be able to notice a suitable pony? If you dont know much, I'd heed the advice of others but get a few opinions.
    We, as an internet forum, do not know your daughter and do not know what she is or isn't able for so can't offer the same sound advice someone who knows her would. Personally, I like 12.2s. They're athletic and fun! Wish I was a foot smaller so I could ride them properly but alas, as light as i am, I'm far too top heavy :P

I'd be fairly confident when looking for a pony for her but when it comes to kids I'd only buy one off someone I know.

Her opinion: She just wants to keep riding and jumping and she'll ride any pony tbh. She even admitted yesterday that she misses it cause all her friends were jumping in Mullingar & Athenry yesterday and the big show in on it Cavan this week.

Not just from me saying it, but a few other have said - she is a very competent & capable rider. When doing her lessons she has jumped a great variety of courses and heights. She trusts her instructor and will jump anything he puts in front of her!!

Going to look at a pony this week so will see how we get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Hey Charlie,

You may remember me from such websites as Octane.ie :P

Did you ask the instructor why he wants to keep her in 128s?

elusiveguy wrote: »
    Hey Charlie,

You may remember me from such websites as Octane.ie :P

Did you ask the instructor why he wants to keep her in 128s?

Howya.

I asked him a good while back what did he think (before he was giving my daughter the private lessons) and he just said "what's the rush?!" He also said that a 13.2 is just that little bit stronger and faster.
    I have another chat to him when he gets home from the HPI in Cavan, they are there from tonight to Sunday, that's dedication!!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Howya.

I asked him a good while back what did he think (before he was giving my daughter the private lessons) and he just said "what's the rush?!" He also said that a 13.2 is just that little bit stronger and faster.
    I have another chat to him when he gets home from the HPI in Cavan, they are there from tonight to Sunday, that's dedication!!

Is she maybe tall but very light and slim? Will upping the height lead to more fighting with the horse or some insane bitting to get control for her?

I'd also be careful buying 'made' ponies. So many seem to be for sale for bad reasons....

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

It does sound like he is only looking out for your daughter. I've seen it countless times in the pony club a child being moved up onto a bigger pony and not being ready. The child gets a fright and doesn't want to ride anymore. There are excpetions to this.

If the 13.2 suits your daughter and she can manage it well enough then why not. But if you do get another good 12.2 you aren't going to have trouble selling it if you do need to go up to 13.2's in a year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement