Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I just wanted to post a letter.

• 05-07-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭

Was in the post office yesterday returning a faulty good to Amazon. When I got there, there was a massive queue going out the door. Most of the people were carrying social welfare cards.

Why can't the social just pay the money directly into peoples accounts instead of clogging up post offices. They way I see it is that it causes more demand on the post office, hence more staff, hence more taxpayers money to pay that staff.

Seems like a totally waste of time for someone on the dole to have to queue up every week looking like degenerates of society. Time they could spend looking for work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

I avoid the Post Office like a plague on Thursdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

kjl wrote: »
    Was in the post office yesterday returning a faulty good to Amazon. When I got there, there was a massive queue going out the door. Most of the people were carrying social welfare cards.

Why can't the social just pay the money directly into peoples accounts instead of clogging up post offices. They way I see it is that it causes more demand on the post office, hence more staff, hence more taxpayers money to pay that staff.

Seems like a totally waste of time for someone on the dole to have to queue up every week looking like degenerates of society. Time they could spend looking for work.

Most of the post offices in the country would go out of business without the social payments,

Your €4 package is being distributed at a loss,

I would let them fail personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think it's a great idea. In fact people who are signing should be required to 'sign on' in the post office every day, at varying times that are determined at random the previous day.. Failure to do so? Bye bye bru!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Short answer

Because it reduces the chances of people claiming from abroad, or actully have work on the side that they are not declaring. If they had work they would not have time to queue.

AHs Answer

Dole scum, rabble rabble rabble, dole basher, rabble rabble rabble, dey tuk our jobs, rabble rabble rabble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They used to pay into the bank account, but people would sign on the dole and then go work abroad secure in the knowledge that their account was being topped up every week. By insisting that you have to physically collect it from the post office the SW has cut the amount of that fraud going on.

You might look at it as having to use taxpayers money to pay staff, but it's also increasing employment, and those same staff will be paying tax on their wages.

It doesn't take long to sign for it at all, certainly nothing that eats into job seeking, and before I was on a course it was also the only 'official' contact I would have with another human being, and would help to keep me sane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

You're great OP... you're great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

they dont pay into accounts anymore unless your in a jobsbridge scheme or on a back to education allowance, because it stops the foreign nationals from claiming dole here while still living back in their home countries.

it also stops the irish living abroad from claiming dole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Dole can be collected on Friday, Saturdays and Sunday at the post office. If not it's sent back to the social. So I'm not sure what all these people were doing waving their social welfare cards around the place. Maybe they knew you were coming and decided, since they've nothing better to do, to form a queue, JUST to annoy you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

they dont pay into accounts anymore unless your in a jobsbridge scheme or on a back to education allowance, because it stops the foreign nationals from claiming dole here while still living back in their home countries.

Like its only the "foreign nationals" that used to claim dole while not being in the country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Like its only the "foreign nationals" that used to claim dole while not being in the country :rolleyes:

true i was about to update my previous post to say it stops irish from claiming dole while abroad but the phone here in work rang and i had to work ... damn pesky customer getting in the way of my dossing on boards :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭MusicalMelody

Technically you didn't want to post a letter. You wanted to post a package. Anywho now that's cleared up everyone knows the post office is a no go on dole day! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Same reason you never go to a DIY shop on a Thursday; coffin dodgers discount day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Same reason you can't buy methylated or surgical spirits on Thursdays in pharmacies. Alcos love them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Larianne wrote: »
    Dole can be collected on Friday, Saturdays and Sunday at the post office. If not it's sent back to the social. So I'm not sure what all these people were doing waving their social welfare cards around the place. Maybe they knew you were coming and decided, since they've nothing better to do, to form a queue, JUST to annoy you. :)

Post offices don't open on Sundays, but no you're not really right there anyway. Not everyone collects their dole on the same day. It used to be everyone was on a thursday, but that was back when the figure was normal. Wouldn't make sense to have everyone going on the same day. But yes you have three days to collect your payment, before it is terminated.

But I call shenanigans on the op anyway, you really expect us to believe that not only was everyone in the queue there to collect something from social welfare, but they all had their SW cards out for all to see? yeah I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

It cost 20cent to withdraw money from the account. It all adds up €2.40 over a 3 month period, to withdraw your money on a weekly basis. I'll stick with the post office and I think most people will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I agree with the OP, Its really annoying having to take time off work and wash the paint off my arms and face and change my clothes to go collect the money and then get back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

It's actually a contract that An Post won from the Department of Social Welfare. I think it was up for review recently. Any organisation is eligible to tender but An Post are probably the only firm with with so many branches in so many communities. There's no real viable alternative, unless you want the Catholic church giving out the dole :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

It's not like they have anything else to do like work is it?

They have plenty of time to look for work so having to queue once a week is hardly an inconvenience to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I was in the post office yesterday to collect my lone parents allowance. It is a bit of a hassle having to go in person but I appreciate the need to avoid fraudulent claims. I was skint and needed to get some medication in the chemist for my sick child.

there was this selfish dickhead holding up the queue whinging about some broken thinh he had to send back to Amazon (the poor lamb). Why couldn't he have done it the day before or after, knowing he wouldn't be holing up others.

Some people have no consideration and only think of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Post offices don't open on Sundays, but no you're not really right there anyway. Not everyone collects their dole on the same day. It used to be everyone was on a thursday, but that was back when the figure was normal. Wouldn't make sense to have everyone going on the same day. But yes you have three days to collect your payment, before it is terminated.

But I call shenanigans on the op anyway, you really expect us to believe that not only was everyone in the queue there to collect something from social welfare, but they all had their SW cards out for all to see? yeah I don't think so.

Maybe not all of them, but a good majority went up, signed a slip and received money.

The main reason people point out it that people can work in another country, but then wouldn't they have to come back once a month to sign on?

• Advertisement

It cost 20cent to withdraw money from the account. It all adds up €2.40 over a 3 month period, to withdraw your money on a weekly basis. I'll stick with the post office and I think most people will.

nothing stopping you from withdrawing it all at once, 20c to not have to que up for 45min, I would pay that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What I hate about the post office is that you always get stuck behind someone who has a million things to do. They want to pay a bit off this bill and a bit off that bill and the full amount off another bill and they want to lodge money in a bank account and buy stamps for Ireland, the UK and America, all for different sized envelopes and then they want to have a chat.

Slight exaggeration, obviously, but I really don't understand why it takes so bloody long for some people to complete their transaction.

An Post should roll out more self-service machines.

Valetta wrote: »
    I was in the post office yesterday to collect my lone parents allowance. It is a bit of a hassle having to go in person but I appreciate the need to avoid fraudulent claims. I was skint and needed to get some medication in the chemist for my sick child.

there was this selfish dickhead holding up the queue whinging about some broken thinh he had to send back to Amazon (the poor lamb). Why couldn't he have done it the day before or after, knowing he wouldn't be holing up others.

Some people have no consideration and only think of themselves.

I think it total my transaction lasted 30 seconds, your man in front of me spent about 5 min giving out about the queue and was then handed his free money.

I think it total my transaction lasted 30 seconds, your man in front of me spent about 5 min giving out about the queue and was then handed his free money.

Did he look like a degenerate? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I hate the people who take 20 minutes asking about the passport procedure when it's printed in bold black and white on the form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My mother will be going to the post office today to collect her 'free money' and I will phone her and tell her to make sure she looks like a degenerate in case someone wants to be judgemental.
    She's 80 so it shouldn't be too difficult - will just have to make sure she doesn't look decrepit instead of degenerate by mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Why can't the social just pay the money directly into peoples accounts instead of clogging up post offices.

I think they're trying to move to this at the moment.

In the meantime, stop whinging and queue like everyone else.
    Time they could spend looking for work.

:rolleyes:

It's amazing when people like the OP lose their job,go on the dole and then come on here an complain about how badly treated they are by social welfare and how they're struggling to get their claim through.It's mad how the view point changes when people are forced to be degenerates.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    My mother will be going to the post office today to collect her 'free money' and I will phone her and tell her to make sure she looks like a degenerate in case someone wants to be judgemental.
    She's 80 so it shouldn't be too difficult - will just have to make sure she doesn't look decrepit instead of degenerate by mistake.

Right, and what an asshole I am for suggesting that you poor 80 year old mother gets the money straight into her account instead of queuing up for 30 min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I thought they were trying to move away from paying into accounts, which is positive for me because then it is only once a month you have to present yourself.

The post office thing is a nightmare though, in some places it even clogs up the whole shop where the post office is based. People trying to shop in and around a queue.

I wouldn't mind an automated system into an account , but still having to present yourself at the local social welfare office once a week to trigger it.

Right, and what an asshole I am

QFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Maybe not all of them, but a good majority went up, signed a slip and received money.

The main reason people point out it that people can work in another country, but then wouldn't they have to come back once a month to sign on?

Easily done thanks to budget airlines and dirt cheap fares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I agree with OP. As a business user of the PO, I do not want to wait 20 minutes while people who have all day queue ahead of me. Every PO should have either a dedicated SW window or a dedicated non SW window.

Right, and what an asshole I am

you said it buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Right, and what an asshole I am for suggesting that you poor 80 year old mother gets the money straight into her account instead of queuing up for 30 min

She prefers to go to the Post Office and then to the local shop to pick up her messages so she can chat to people. You would prefer she stays at home alone and never gets even this little social outlet?

• Advertisement

It's amazing when people like the OP lose their job,go on the dole and then come on here an complain about how badly treated they are by social welfare and how they're struggling to get their claim through.It's mad how the view point changes when people are forced to be degenerates.

Except if somehow I lose my job, I will be in another one in less than two weeks because I have worked hard my whole life from my school days to present. I have years of experience in a sector that has 1000's of jobs. I get emails everyday asking me to interview for this job or that.

Either way I am not complaining about people on the dole, just that I think it's stupid to not just pay them directly.

My time is more important than most of the people in the queue. Why should I have to spend so long in the post office when a very easy alternative exists.

Except if somehow I lose my job, I will be in another one in less than two weeks because I have worked hard my whole life from my school days to present. I have years of experience in a sector that has 1000's of jobs. I get emails everyday asking me to interview for this job or that.

Either way I am not complaining about people on the dole, just that I think it's stupid to not just pay them directly.

My time is more important than most of the people in the queue. Why should I have to spend so long in the post office when a very easy alternative exists.

:)

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Easily done thanks to budget airlines and dirt cheap fares.

not really, minimum €150 for return flight to UK

not really, minimum €150 for return flight to UK

You must be flying first class on Ryanair or something to be paying 150 for a return flight to the U.K

What I hate about the post office is that you always get stuck behind someone who has a million things to do. They want to pay a bit off this bill and a bit off that bill and the full amount off another bill and they want to lodge money in a bank account and buy stamps for Ireland, the UK and America, all for different sized envelopes and then they want to have a chat.

Slight exaggeration, obviously, but I really don't understand why it takes so bloody long for some people to complete their transaction.

You've probably been that person with a million things to do at one stage or another. People only find it annoying when it's not them.

If people have few things to do, that's it! What can they do?

Self-service machines would be a help though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Short answer

Because it reduces the chances of people claiming from abroad, or actully have work on the side that they are not declaring. If they had work they would not have time to queue.

AHs Answer

Dole scum, rabble rabble rabble, dole basher, rabble rabble rabble, dey tuk our jobs, rabble rabble rabble.
    worst excuse ever,if youd have a job you'd probably find time to take 20min brake to pop into post office.Dunno whats the story with the influx but its happening in banks as well specially in smaller towns,come end of month or week,once you go in it takes like forever to get to the window,staff are cut to 1-2 people on tills,and if youre lucky enough that you can do fast deposit by atm,your stuck in there nearly 20 minutes to do any business :cool:
    wonder if its not easier just to hire welfare officers to to home checks on people that are unemployed,thus creating more jobs in the sector and avoiding massive ques at post offices.

Ah, I see, the thread was ostensibly about post office queues, but was really a way to complain about people on the dole.

I meant to ask actually,what sector do you work in OP?

Yes you are, otherwise I'm not sure what the point of snide comments about "free money" and "degenerates" is?

You think you'd get another job, you don't know that.
    My time is more important than most of the people in the queue.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You've probably been that person with a million things to do at one stage or another. People only find it annoying when it's not them.

If people have few things to do, that's it! What can they do?

Self-service machines would be a help though.

Not really. I'd never pay a bill in the post office. I never buy stamps in the post office. I never put money in my bank account in the post office. (Although I do understand that one of the banks has stopped dealing with lodgements and people have to go to the post office to lodge money.) In fact, I can state with 99% certainty that I have never been that person. Not in the post office, not in any other business or shop. There are other ways of doing these things without having to go to the post office.

Yes you are, otherwise I'm not sure what the point of snide comments about "free money" and "degenerates" is?

You think you'd get another job, you don't know that.

:pac:

I know I would get another job, not that there is any way possible for me to lose my job now, barring some sort of apocalypse type event. I bring in 10x what I am paid so would be stupid of my company to get rid of me.

I know I would get another job, not that there is any way possible for me to lose my job now, barring some sort of apocalypse type event. I bring in 10x what I am paid so would be stupid of my company to get rid of me.

They might just decide that they don't want an asshole working for them.

Not really. I'd never pay a bill in the post office. I never buy stamps in the post office. I never put money in my bank account in the post office. (Although I do understand that one of the banks has stopped dealing with lodgements and people have to go to the post office to lodge money.) In fact, I can state with 99% certainty that I have never been that person. Not in the post office, not in any other business or shop. There are other ways of doing these things without having to go to the post office.

Never in your life? I'm afraid I don't believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

My time is more important than most of the people in the queue.

You're some c*nt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

I feel like this when im sitting in traffic and i think there should be a lane for very important people who are in a hurry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement