Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buses denying early access to passengers.

• 05-07-2013 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

This is something that has puzzled me for some time, there may be a logical answer, perhaps some of the DB drivers could explain it. Why do some buses deny access to intending passengers at suburban termini until the very last minute?
    For instance, I was driving down Park Avenue in Sandymount last Tuesday at about 8.25 p.m. and there were three passengers waiting at the bus terminus, including a mother and child in arms. It was a particularly wet and windy night and the bus sat about 15ft away, fully dressed with the driver sitting in the lower saloon. The next bus was scheduled for 8.30p.m. with the preceding one at 8.00p.m. and the subsequent one at 9.00p.m. so it is unlikely it was a leapfrog in service like you can get with more frequent routes. So, is there a valid reason for this or is this just a driver showing contempt for his customers. As I've said, this is not the first time I've seen it happen, at first I thought it might be a security issue but then drivers don't have cash any more and a mother and child in Sandymount don't strike me as particularly dangerous, so what's the answer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

It's most likely that the bus drivers are either officially/unofficially on a break between rounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Drivers are taking their breaks and are entitled to have these away from passengers, If they were to take on those three at the stop how many more times would the driver have to open and close the doors in the last 15 minutes of his/her break. Nobody likes their breaks interrupted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭bikeman1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Drivers are taking their breaks and are entitled to have these away from passengers, If they were to take on those three at the stop how many more times would the driver have to open and close the doors in the last 15 minutes of his/her break. Nobody likes their breaks interrupted.

Time at the terminus is not their break time, it is still their working time. The breaks are factored in to their roster, and the driver leaves his/her bus.

OP it's simply poor customer service especially on a wet night. Driver just wants a few minutes away from the skulls that they are being paid to look after.

I have been on many a bus at the terminus for up to 10 minutes before departure time. The 32 in Malahide is good for this. Similarly the 185 in Enniskerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

bmaxi wrote: »
    I was driving down Park Avenue in Sandymount last Tuesday at about 8.25 p.m. and there were three passengers waiting at the bus terminus, including a mother and child in arms. It was a particularly wet and windy night and the bus sat about 15ft away, fully dressed with the driver sitting in the lower saloon. The next bus was scheduled for 8.30p.m. with the preceding one at 8.00p.m. and the subsequent one at 9.00p.m. so it is unlikely it was a leapfrog in service like you can get with more frequent routes. So, is there a valid reason for this or is this just a driver showing contempt for his customers. As I've said, this is not the first time I've seen it happen, at first I thought it might be a security issue but then drivers don't have cash any more and a mother and child in Sandymount don't strike me as particularly dangerous, so what's the answer?

Drivers are entitled to a few minutes break at each terminus. Considering this driver had just driven across the city, I don't think it's unreasonable that they want to leave their cab for a short period before starting their next journey.

This particular stop is also served by the 47 which shares the same route as the 1 to the city centre. It would be frustrating for a passenger to board a bus which is not leaving for 5/10 minutes only for it to be overtaken by another bus heading the same direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

This is something that has puzzled me for some time, there may be a logical answer, perhaps some of the DB drivers could explain it. Why do some buses deny access to intending passengers at suburban termini until the very last minute?
    For instance, I was driving down Park Avenue in Sandymount last Tuesday at about 8.25 p.m. and there were three passengers waiting at the bus terminus, including a mother and child in arms. It was a particularly wet and windy night and the bus sat about 15ft away, fully dressed with the driver sitting in the lower saloon. The next bus was scheduled for 8.30p.m. with the preceding one at 8.00p.m. and the subsequent one at 9.00p.m. so it is unlikely it was a leapfrog in service like you can get with more frequent routes. So, is there a valid reason for this or is this just a driver showing contempt for his customers. As I've said, this is not the first time I've seen it happen, at first I thought it might be a security issue but then drivers don't have cash any more and a mother and child in Sandymount don't strike me as particularly dangerous, so what's the answer?

Passengers aren't allowed on board a bus until it's actually in service on it's route. The earliest you may board is 5 minutes prior to departure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Passengers aren't allowed on board a bus until it's actually in service on it's route. The earliest you may board is 5 minutes prior to departure.

Is that official, is it published anywhere? I can at least see that as a valid reason rather than a driver being "entitled' to a break at each terminus, which I seriously doubt. I also doubt most of the experienced travelling public would expect their bus to still be at the terminus at five minutes to departure time but that's another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

But is this at the discretion of the driver? I remember many a time during cold conditions when a driver would simply sit at the terminus until the last possible moment before departure (or sometimes just rolling to the stop exactly at departure time), and then allow frozen passengers on board.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

stop wrote: »
    But is this at the discretion of the driver? I remember many a time during cold conditions when a driver would simply sit at the terminus until the last possible moment before departure (or sometimes just rolling to the stop exactly at departure time), and then allow frozen passengers on board.

In all honesty it depends on the driver - I think it's unfair to ever tar everyone with the same brush. When I got the bus every day to work for 3 years up to about 2010 I had a couple of routes terminating near to where I got on from so I got on the terminus every morning.

I noticed that some drivers, particularly on one of the routes would pull up about 4 minutes early so they left bang on time and if they finished boarding before then they'd just wait to the departure time. I know others, especially on the other route, who would pull up bang on departure time and normally end up leaving the terminus 3-4 minutes after the departure time every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

I don't think anyone is questioning that this _is_ a rule, more that they're wondering _why_ it's a rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ask this man; he's usually behind stuff like this.

Cartoon_468x540.jpg
    markpb wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is questioning that this _is_ a rule, more that they're wondering _why_ it's a rule.

• Advertisement

I have been on a bus for 10 minutes awaiting departure time. Thinking of other routes I have done this, 5 minutes + 102, 44, 31 at their outer terminus.

Again the driver is paid to work those hours. There is no way the unions would allow the 10 minutes at the end of a route as a break. Some days there could be heavy traffic, a specific delay etc which would cause the driver to have no break. So its not factored in. Maybe AlexSmart will confirm this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

bikeman1 wrote: »
    I have been on a bus for 10 minutes awaiting departure time. Thinking of other routes I have done this, 5 minutes + 102, 44, 31 at their outer terminus.

Again the driver is paid to work those hours. There is no way the unions would allow the 10 minutes at the end of a route as a break. Some days there could be heavy traffic, a specific delay etc which would cause the driver to have no break. So its not factored in. Maybe AlexSmart will confirm this.

And lots of office staff are paid for 9-5 minus a lunchbreak, does that mean they ought to be berated for leaving their desk for a few minutes for tea or toilet breaks?

At any other stop you are not getting on ahead of time so why should the few boarding at termini be different?

As another poster said a few minutes to enable an on time departure is reasonable, any longer should not be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Never heard that one before but it a few things posted here make sense.

* Driver wanting to stretch their legs after a long journey
    * Other buses using the stop, the stop being blocked up or passengers being able to get a quicker bus
    * 3 mintues of every trip is allocated for rest at terminus
    * Some drivers just dont want to deal with people longer than they have to SOME

Also ....

* Driver making a private phone call
    * If a driver lets a passenger on the bus s/he cant leave the bus unattended then. ( Thinking restroom break )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Vic_08 wrote: »
    And lots of office staff are paid for 9-5 minus a lunchbreak, does that mean they ought to be berated for leaving their desk for a few minutes for tea or toilet breaks?

There are many call centres where you would be disciplined and eventually fired if you did that outside your official breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Getting real sick of this growing libertarian/ultra-capitalist mindset in Ireland that would begrudge a man(or woman, but bus drivers are generally men) a bit of piece and quiet between stressful runs through monotonous traffic and dealing with the difficulties that passengers can bring. Let the driver get out of the cab for a little while, check up on the news or call his family while taking a short break for ****s sake. Dealing with the public or listening to kids inane chatter or adults inane phone calls or confusion/abuse over fares(which is most likely what the driver of OP's bus would have had to deal with if he let on the people waiting) can take a lot out of people. When I worked in a shop I found myself having to hide in the stockroom for a couple of minutes during the day after dealing with people - introverted types need a little bit of time to recharge after dealing with social situations.
    harney wrote: »
    There are many call centres where you would be disciplined and eventually fired if you did that outside your official breaks.

And that's disgusting and in no way something any organisation should emulate or any government should allow to go unpunished.

Getting real sick of this growing libertarian/ultra-capitalist mindset in Ireland that would begrudge a man(or woman, but bus drivers are generally men) a bit of piece and quiet between stressful runs through monotonous traffic and dealing with the difficulties that passengers can bring. Let the driver get out of the cab for a little while, check up on the news or call his family while taking a short break for ****s sake. Dealing with the public or listening to kids inane chatter or adults inane phone calls or confusion/abuse over fares(which is most likely what the driver of OP's bus would have had to deal with if he let on the people waiting) can take a lot out of people. When I worked in a shop I found myself having to hide in the stockroom for a couple of minutes during the day after dealing with people - introverted types need a little bit of time to recharge after dealing with social situations.

And that's disgusting and in no way something any organisation should emulate or any government should allow to go unpunished.

And I am sick of the poor customer service that SOME Dublin Drivers provide to their customers. It was supposedly raining, the least they can do is let the woman and the child on.

I know 4 Dublin Bus drivers and none of them are stressed over the job they do. They feel they are entitled to their wage which I agree with.

They have breaks built into their daily roster. I'm not aware of many toilet facilities at most outer termini? Plenty of time to text and catch up on their breaks.

I would love the idea of me going to my clients, sorry I've just finished a stressful 45 minutes of work, I need 5 minutes on my own before I want to deal with you.

I would love the idea of me going to my clients, sorry I've just finished a stressful this 45 minutes of work, I need 5 minutes on my own before I want to deal with you.

What exactly is wrong with that?

What exactly is wrong with that?

Because you wouldn't have very many customers very quickly. In the real world you just have to get on with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't really get the problem. If a bus is expected to depart at 17:00, I'd expect it to leave at that time - but I wouldn't expect to be able to use it as a shelter at 16:55. At least I wouldn't feel the driver is treating me with contempt if he didn't let me on before 17:00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hsianloon

Sounds like bus eireann. Once I got a late flight back and had a return ticket for the last bus to galway ,which a few drivers got on the bus, took some money out and left the passengers standing there like fools.

Had to pay and take Citylink.

They refused a refund saying it was some extenuating circumstances. I didn't see any aliens from space dragging their buses into a black hole, and 3 drivers were there taking a smoke.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    I don't really get the problem. If a bus is expected to depart at 17:00, I'd expect it to leave at that time - but I wouldn't expect to be able to use it as a shelter at 16:55. At least I wouldn't feel the driver is treating me with contempt if he didn't let me on before 17:00.

I am talking about the situation of a bus deliberately sitting there on a rotten day/night and not letting passengers on. If it was this evening I would be out catching some rays!

Because you wouldn't have very many customers very quickly. In the real world you just have to get on with things.

Too bad. Not everything is about money, quality of employee's life is a more important consideration and is better in the long run for society. Revise your customer/income estimates accordingly. The real world you capitalists are always on about is more than economics and business.

I would love the idea of me going to my clients, sorry I've just finished a stressful 45 minutes of work, I need 5 minutes on my own before I want to deal with you.

If a driver has just transported over 100 passengers across the city in a journey, some of which can take over two hours, I certainly wouldn't deprive them of taking 5 minutes to stretch their legs and relax before they set off on their return trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

for someone who was literally driving past, the OP is making alot of assumptions.

the driver could have been there for 10 seconds or 10 minutes at the time.
    he could have been waiting for another driver to take over, who would be responsible for issuing tickets for those passengers.
    he could have been exiting service with another bus about to come along to run that route.
    etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,522 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The real world you capitalists are always on about is more than economics and business.
    Let's leave labels out of it.

Too bad. Not everything is about money, quality of employee's life is a more important consideration and is better in the long run for society. Revise your customer/income estimates accordingly. The real world you capitalists are always on about is more than economics and business.

Does the quality of the employee's life supercede that of the intending passenger? I asked the question originally in the hope of getting a reasonable and viable explanation for the practice, I have yet to see that.
    It would appear to me that this is not an official action but is just a decision taken by the man/woman on the spot and to hell with everybody else. It gives credence to the widely held belief that C.I.E. in all it's guises, is all about the employees and not about the customer.
    Everybody, I'm sure, could do with less stress in their lives. The guy standing in the rain freezing his butt off after maybe working a twelve hour shift, may find that stressful, the mother trying to pacify a cold, tired and hungry infant, undoubtedly finds that stressful, but fcuk them, they don't count, they're only the people who pay my wages, this is about me.
    These capitalists you speak of are unlikely to patronise the capital's buses at 8.30pm on a wet and windy night, or at any other time either. If your gripe is with them you are going to have to find some other way to air it, the people who are suffering from this practice are the workers, just like you profess to be but probably without the chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

KD345 wrote: »
    If a driver has just transported over 100 passengers across the city in a journey, some of which can take over two hours, I certainly wouldn't deprive them of taking 5 minutes to stretch their legs and relax before they set off on their return trip.

If I was about to be a passenger on the bus I'd in fact be glad that the driver got a chance to relax and de-stress for a couple of moments before he took the responsibility of taking myself and a bus full of people across the city. I'd rather he did so in a proper and safe fashion in a clear and relaxed state of mind.

To our capitalist friend above... In the 'real world' as you so put it there are also laws regarding rest breaks and fitness to perform. If you had any concept of it .. the 'real world' that is you would probably be able to grasp that fact.

I was once waiting for a 78A in heavy rain on Aston Quay. One of the DB inspectors very kindly told us that anyone with prepaid tickets could board early to get out of the rain. The driver got on, pointed at the passengers on the bus (including me) and shouted OFF, OFF, OFF. I told him to show me some respect, he was an absolute dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Why isn't there a thread started about how some passenger are to Dublin Bus staff then some of you might understand the absolute crap these men and women have to deal with on a daily basis.

A Driver has a lot of responsibility on there shoulders so just think for once they are human they can have bad days the same as any of you or me for that matter.

Driving as a job can and is a very stressful job whether you notice or not and does reduce life expectancy due to bad shifts, hours, irregular meal times, not able to drink enough fluids as no facilities except some routes.

• Advertisement

for someone who was literally driving past, the OP is making alot of assumptions.

the driver could have been there for 10 seconds or 10 minutes at the time.
    he could have been waiting for another driver to take over, who would be responsible for issuing tickets for those passengers.
    he could have been exiting service with another bus about to come along to run that route.
    etc, etc.
    I said at the outset that there could be a logical explanation for it. If he was exiting service, why would the bus be dressed up and lit? You make these points with the comments already having been made by DB drivers that this does happen and even suggesting reasons why it might happen.
    I didn't get into this to enter a slanging match but there are those contributors on here who take exception to anything that might be seen as criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Can't blame DB drivers really Then again, rain and **** doesn't bother me.

So nobody can explain to me why some drivers have no problem letting pax on for 5 minutes before and others would rather let you wait in the rain.

I'm not a capitalist, just pointing out the normal operations of Dublin Bus.

The truth is its a grey area as the driver may want to get out of the cab and with the way things are here driver's do get attacked and the company states the driver isn't covered when out of the cab.

I don't know myself but whats the big deal or problem with them having a few minutes to themselves. There are way more important things for people to worry about seriously get a life and a decent hobby to anyone who just has to give out about rubbish all the time.

We live in a country where you cannot rely on the weather so why can't people be prepared and have appropriate clothing, rain gear or umbrellas.

Not intended or pointing to any other poster just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When the 79 was waiting to start its run on Aston Quay you'd often see a few drivers on board chatting, drinking coffee......and smoking!

I'm Irish, I thought it was wrong but I did nothing and never complained :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,077 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Basically, a driver is not obliged to let people on board until he's ready to depart. He should, however, do so at such time so that he departs the terminus on time, usually 2 minutes or so prior to departure. It is ultimately up to individual driver's discretion as to when they do this - there is no official time before departure (such as 5 minutes) as stated above that passengers can be allowed on a bus.

As he is working in a safety critical role a bus driver is entitled to take a short break from the driver's cab at either terminus and is encouraged to do so.

For those posters commenting about office employees, I think that you'll find that the Health and Safety Authority recommends that computer VDU operators take a short break away from the screen/desk at least once every 60 minutes. Most trips on Dublin Bus routes now consist of at least a 50-60 minute journey.

As one of the posters above said, I certainly would prefer that a driver of my bus had taken a break between departures.

I'd have to say that while I would sympathise with the passengers out in the rain, I'm not sure what special status people waiting at the terminus have over people waiting at the next stop along St. John's Road in Sandymount for example where there is no shelter either?

As I said a driver is under no obligation to let people board until he is ready to depart and is entitled to a short break. It is a safety critical role, and switching off (i.e. getting out of the cab) briefly is to be recommended.

• Advertisement

Is that official, is it published anywhere? I can at least see that as a valid reason rather than a driver being "entitled' to a break at each terminus, which I seriously doubt. I also doubt most of the experienced travelling public would expect their bus to still be at the terminus at five minutes to departure time but that's another story.

I am assuming that you are referring to drivers departing the terminus early without approval from controllers?

While this certainly had some validity among certain drivers, I think that you will find that the introduction of the AVLC system has pretty much put a stop to this sort of shoddy practice.

I'd also have to say that by and large as a daily user of multiple buses I certainly found this to be the exception to the rule.

So nobody can explain to me why some drivers have no problem letting pax on for 5 minutes before and others would rather let you wait in the rain.

I'm not a capitalist, just pointing out the normal operations of Dublin Bus.

To be fair, there have been many reasons given in this thread. It would appear its at the discretion of the driver whether they want to allow passengers on. So long as they operate to schedule then that's all that should matter.

As already explained, the 1 is not the only bus to stop in Sandymount, the 47 also serves the terminus stop.

Perhaps the driver wanted to stretch their legs, and as they can't leave their cab when in service, this was their only opportunity. Some drivers also operate as directed by control, this means they operate to the terminus and await further instruction.

I've experienced a similar situation in places like Edinburgh and London. A terminus is not a place passengers are guaranteed to board an out of service vehicle, it's simply the starting point of the route.

To be fair, there have been many reasons given in this thread. It would appear its at the discretion of the driver whether they want to allow passengers on. So long as they operate to schedule then that's all that should matter.

As already explained, the 1 is not the only bus to stop in Sandymount, the 47 also serves the terminus stop.

Perhaps the driver wanted to stretch their legs, and as they can't leave their cab when in service, this was their only opportunity. Some drivers also operate as directed by control, this means they operate to the terminus and await further instruction.

I've experienced a similar situation in places like Edinburgh and London. A terminus is not a place passengers are guaranteed to board an out of service vehicle, it's simply the starting point of the route.

In reply to the last two posts. I think you'll find that nobody objects to bus drivers or anybody else having a decent quality of life in their job but when you get a situation where that same privilege is denied to somebody else, particularly an infant, that sympathy will quickly disappear. The bus driver in question didn't give the appearance of having just arrived nor that he was in a hurry to go anywhere
    @lxflyer I wasn't referring to buses leaving the terminus early although it does happen but to the practice of Dublin bus users to err on the side of caution when timing a bus, a practice built up over many years enduring a poor bus service.
    Incidentally, I can never recall any of my instructors having the least concern for my pyhsical or mental well being, this must be a product of the enlightened age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lxflyer wrote: »
    For those posters commenting about office employees, I think that you'll find that the Health and Safety Authority recommends that computer VDU operators take a short break away from the screen/desk at least once every 60 minutes.

Yes indeed they do recommend a break from the screen/desk - and they have lots of suggestions about alternative duties that can be carried out. They do not suggest that you stop working.

I can well understand a driver wanting to stretch his/her legs after an hour driving. But it is possible to do this after letting passengers waiting at a terminus aboard.

Frankly, leaving people to stand in the rain for ten minutes, just because you can, is just a power trip and reflects badly on any human being who behaves this way.

Yes indeed they do recommend a break from the screen/desk - and they have lots of suggestions about alternative duties that can be carried out. They do not suggest that you stop working.

I can well understand a driver wanting to stretch his/her legs after an hour driving. But it is possible to do this after letting passengers waiting at a terminus aboard.

Frankly, leaving people to stand in the rain for ten minutes, just because you can, is just a power trip and reflects badly on any human being who behaves this way.
    For health and safety and as I posted before the company won't cover the driver if attacked and it does still happen even though they can't access cash.

• Advertisement

No it isn't possible - once passengers are on board a bus, Dublin Bus rules state that the driver is not allowed to leave his cab unattended, which would preclude him from stretching his legs or walking up/down the bus.

It has nothing to do with being on "a power trip" and I don't think using emotive language such as this really helps the debate.

A driver is entitled as much as anyone to a brief break, and as it is a safety critical role I think that would be recommended.

I would ask again - what is different about the people waiting at the terminus versus the next stop? The people at the next stop are having to stand in the rain too!!

In reply to the last two posts. I think you'll find that nobody objects to bus drivers or anybody else having a decent quality of life in their job but when you get a situation where that same privilege is denied to somebody else, particularly an infant, that sympathy will quickly disappear. The bus driver in question didn't give the appearance of having just arrived nor that he was in a hurry to go anywhere
    @lxflyer I wasn't referring to buses leaving the terminus early although it does happen but to the practice of Dublin bus users to err on the side of caution when timing a bus, a practice built up over many years enduring a poor bus service.
    Incidentally, I can never recall any of my instructors having the least concern for my pyhsical or mental well being, this must be a product of the enlightened age.

And just when (roughly) did you cease working for the CIE Group?

I'm guessing from previous posts that it was some time ago, well before any of the Health & Safety legislation and codification of the legal responsibilities in that respect for all companies were introduced?

Thankfully times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Don't also they also have to check for lost property, damage & make sure the bus is secure before they start their next journey, they obviously can't really let any passengers on beforehand? :rolleyes:

Imagine if some nutter leaves a dangerous & or explosive device & the bus driver doesn't check before starting another journey? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

driver have 3 minutes to check their bus for lost property such as mobiles, social welfare passes etc as well as stretch their legs at either terminus. most drivers if running late wont take their 3 minutes and instead will work away and if they reach the other terminus early they may take 6 minutes.
    the issue of terminus was raised here. all routes have terminus then on top of that alot of routes would have a pick up stop in other words the first stop they use to pick up passengers but would not necessarily be the terminus.
    alot of the time problems with buses arise when it's raining, whether it's wipers not working, demisters etc and the drivers normally get their change at a terminus.
    now.
    recently dublin bus introduced a fuel saving mechanism. all buses with the exception of AV's have this built in and this is the reason why most drivers wont board passengers until at least 5 minutes before their due to leave. after 5 minutes of a bus being idle with the engine running whether it's at lights ,terminus or stops the engine will automatically shut down. this is the main reason why most drivers will not load more than 5 minutes before they're due to leave.
    again pointed out. under no circumstances can a driver leave his cab with the engine running. so if they leave the cab the engine must be switched off then there have been numerous instances of the engine not starting again. i.e. a non starter.
    i remember an incident a few years back. a driver was waiting at his terminus in a bus lane,about a hundred yards up the road was his first pick up stop. while waiting some clown decides his car and the bus should start making mini buses. in other words he rear ended the bus. can you imagine the outcome if the driver had passengers on his bus when it happened.
    alot of what bus drivers do is down to health and safety, it's not about being awkward.
    it's a funny oul forumn this. you have a thread about " buses denying early access to passengers." but you dont have any thread about drivers or lack of enforcing the by laws which in fairness 95% of drivers dont enforce.

Either you're objecting or you're not. You can't have it both ways. On one hand you agree a bus driver should have a good quality of life in their working environment, but are you suggesting that doesn't apply when it's raining and there's children waiting to board?

You started this thread explaining how you drove past a bus 5 minutes before it was due to depart. You don't know how long that bus was there before you passed, perhaps it was 30 seconds? For all we know, the bus may have pulled up to the stop as soon as you turned the corner and allowed passengers board. If I was a passenger waiting for that bus I would expect it to arrive at 8pm, no sooner, no later. I certainly wouldn't expect it to allow me board early, which, at this location, I'd be reluctant to do as very often a 47 can pass by the stop and take me into the city centre before the 1.

It has been explained that drivers can not leave their cab when the bus is in service and boarded passengers.

Accusing someone of being on a 'power trip' because they wish to stretch their legs after driving a double deck bus full of passengers across the city is extremely unfair. There have been many reasons given why drivers don't allow passengers board, none of which warrant the use of such a term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

lxflyer wrote: »
    I would ask again - what is different about the people waiting at the terminus versus the next stop? The people at the next stop are having to stand in the rain too!!

The difference simply is that the person at the terminus can see the bus in front of them, and if the driver is simply sitting in the cab, the intending passenger will naturally feel hard done by.

Without getting overly emotive, only a certain type of person would leave someone else standing in the rain deliberately when they have the chance to get them out of the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

Imagine if some nutter leaves a dangerous & or explosive device & the bus driver doesn't check before starting another journey? :mad:

WTF

Either you're objecting or you're not. You can't have it both ways. On one hand you agree a bus driver should have a good quality of life in their working environment, but are you suggesting that doesn't apply when it's raining and there's children waiting to board?

You started this thread explaining how you drove past a bus 5 minutes before it was due to depart. You don't know how long that bus was there before you passed, perhaps it was 30 seconds? For all we know, the bus may have pulled up to the stop as soon as you turned the corner and allowed passengers board. If I was a passenger waiting for that bus I would expect it to arrive at 8pm, no sooner, no later. I certainly wouldn't expect it to allow me board early, which, at this location, I'd be reluctant to do as very often a 47 can pass by the stop and take me into the city centre before the 1.

I/QUOTE]

Please don't cherrypick from my comments, at no time did I suggest bus drivers should not have the same quality in their work environment as anybody else and frankly, I consider this a red herring.
    Anybody who has driven on Park Ave. will know that it is not a road you will travel at any speed at the best of times and on this evening there was the further complication of an oil delivery lorry as well. The bus was in full view for at least three minutes before I came abreast of it because it was the brightest object on the street. I did not see it cross from St. John's Road and park which would probably take another minute and when I came up to it, the driver had already left his cab and was sitting, reading in the lower saloon so I would calculate the minimum time it had been there at four minutes.
    This is all academic anyway, the suppositon has to be that the driver would not have allowed those people on however long he had been there and the original question had little to do with this.
    I had passed a 47 on Sandymount Road and though I don't claim to be familiar with their running times, I wouldn't expect to pass another one in Sandymount, always assuming of course that those people waiting weren't travelling to Drumcondra or Whitehall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

he also cant pish into a bottle or paper cup in the stairwell blind spot if theres skulls on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Some bus stops in Berlin have a sign to ask members of the public not to disturb drivers on a break. Seems fair enough to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement