Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road tyre question

Options
  • 05-07-2013 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Firstly, sorry if this thread is incorrectly posted as I am a newbie to the cycling thread here on Boards.

Now I have a quick question regarding advice on a set of new tyres for my bike.

I recently bought a G. Defy 2 and not sure if the tyres are all that great (from what I have been told). Given I am new to cycling also I am completely helpless at knowing where to buy and what to buy regarding tyres as this is all new to me but perhaps somebody could point me in the right direction? :confused:

I am looking to purchase 2 tyres that would be durable and reasonably puncture resistant as I plan on doing 150-200k a week commuting to and from work and cycles at the weekends with friends. I am looking to find out where to look and what to look for. also any tips from past experiences would be great!

thanks in advance for any help on this!

:)

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

chainreactioncycles.com best value all around and very fast delivery, this is where I buy most of my gear.

I have Continental Gatorskin on my Defy 3, can't really go wrong in my opinion, excellent puncture resistance and have a nice roll to them, plus they've pretty good life in them, 1500km done on mine so far. Keeping the pressure up around 110psi is advisable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

Cheers for the reply! Ye my next question was how much to inflate the tyres to! Will check out the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

maniac2000 wrote: »
    also any tips from past experiences would be great!
    • Buy 25mm tyres.
    • Buy a track pump.
    • Inflate to around 95-100 PSI.
    • Every now and again dig out the embedded glass shards, thorns and stones with a pointy knife. They are easier to see when the tyre is inflated but easier to remove when the tyre is deflated.
    • Learn how to use a puncture repair kit.
    • Carry a puncture a repair kit.
    • Carry a spare tube.
    • Carry a mini-pump.
    • Gatorskins are like marmite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Gatorskins are like marmite.

That doesn't mean you can spread them on a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

I've just put Bontrager Lite Hard Case on my Felt. I like them so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I've got over 6000km on my gatorskins and not a single puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Gatorskins for me too, got only one pinch puncture due to under-inflation.
    Wheels that came with my Defy (PR-2) were too harsh to cycle at anything over 100psi on 23mm gatorskins. Maybe 25 would feel better, not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I wouldn't bother replacing the tyres until they wear out. The most important thing is to have the ability and the gear to replace a tube at the side of the road. When you have to do this regularly, change your tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Officially ruined the two Sh1te tyres that came with my Carrera in the Wicklow mountains today. At least now I have an excuse to spend some money on decent replacements, will also be more careful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

maniac2000 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am looking to purchase 2 tyres that would be durable and reasonably puncture resistant as I plan on doing 150-200k a week commuting to and from work and cycles at the weekends with friends. I am looking to find out where to look and what to look for. also any tips from past experiences would be great!

thanks in advance for any help on this!

:)

Cheers!

I'd recommend Continental GP 4 seasons in 25mm , comfy, good grip in the wet, durable and good puncture resistance, relatively pricey though.

I usually get them from here
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18794

Sometimes from Cycle Surgery in Dundrum

You can also get them here at a good price (I don't have first hand experience purchasing from this website but they are highly thought of by some other boardsies)

http://www.bike24.com/p2428.html

Lots of LBS also stock them but may not have any in 25MM (23mm are easy to get locally)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I wouldn't bother replacing the tyres until they wear out. The most important thing is to have the ability and the gear to replace a tube at the side of the road. When you have to do this regularly, change your tyres.

or... Or.... OR some people would rather get puncture proof or as close to as possible.

For what its worth op ive ran gatorskins for about a year now with no punctures.

imo not ideal in wet but if your like me and don't cycle when its very wet and don't corner too fast theyre grand.

Ps tyre pressure is key no matter what you run. I run gatorskins at 120psi. Track pumps rule. Check before each ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

For maximum puncture resistance it's hard to beat Schwalbe Marathon Plus closely followed by Panaracer Ribmos. Neither has ever let me down and I put up a fair few kms in all types of roads including lots of night spins. My current Marathons have over 10,000 kms on them. They are a bit heavier and have greater rolling resistance but I'll sacrifice that for piece of mind.

I know it a contentious point here but although I've never punctured in Gatorskins, I've no confidence in them in the wet.

The worst tyres I've had are Bontrager, Mavics and Hutchinson - can't recall the actual versions of each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

A lot of great advice here so thank you!

I don't currently carry any kit with me but I will definitely rectify this a.s.ap.. For the minute if i get a puncture it's a quick phone call to the GF for a lift :P Do people carry kit in their bag or on a saddle pouch/bag? what is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

TiBoy wrote: »
    I'd recommend Continental GP 4 seasons in 25mm , comfy, good grip in the wet, durable and good puncture resistance, relatively pricey though.

I usually get them from here
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18794

Sometimes from Cycle Surgery in Dundrum

You can also get them here at a good price (I don't have first hand experience purchasing from this website but they are highly thought of by some other boardsies)

Lots of LBS also stock them but may not have any in 25MM (23mm are easy to get locally)

Excellent tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I've spent a stupid amount there in the last couple of weeks, and can guarantee they're the bees knees!

I'd personally for for Vittoria Open Corsa CX's, Veloflex Masters or Schwalbe Ultremo R's, but they my not be the best for commuting on (though they all roll lovely!)

I'd personally for for Vittoria Open Corsa CX's, Veloflex Masters or Schwalbe Ultremo R's, but they my not be the best for commuting on (though they all roll lovely!)

I love Vittoria open pave, used use them all the time, great tyre on wet roads, unfortunately I'm very heavy on tyres and so switched to the 25mm contis 4 seasons.

I used to get about 2000 kms on the open paves as a rear tyre, with quite a few punctures.

I just retired a rear conti 4 seasons after 4000 km and one puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

Sorry another newbie jumping in here can you please explain why you would go for 25 rather than 23 as most places seem to go for 700 x 23 and if I currently have 23's on my bike (Schwable Blizzard) is it ok to change to 700 x 25's trying to learn as much as I can thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I know it a contentious point here but although I've never punctured in Gatorskins, I've no confidence in them in the wet.

The worst tyres I've had are Bontrager, Mavics and Hutchinson - can't recall the actual versions of each.

changed my Gatorskins (after several punctures, and brutal grip in wet) to Hutchinsons Hardskins. They're brutal. Seems a big effort to push them. No punctures yet though....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

New2bike wrote: »
    is it ok to change to 700 x 25's trying to learn as much as I can thanks in advance!
    You'll get a little more comfort with the 25's.

The traditional view was that the less contact with the ground (i.e. the thinner the tyre) the less effort to roll it. That view appears to be changing again though.
    changed my Gatorskins (after several punctures, and brutal grip in wet) to Hutchinsons Hardskins. They're brutal. Seems a big effort to push them. No punctures yet though....
    I thought the rolling resistance in them was good, but then, I was coming from Marathons. I got 3 punctures in 18 hours with visible holes through the tryes so I went back to the Marathons/Ribmos again.

Sorry another newbie jumping in here can you please explain why you would go for 25 rather than 23 as most places seem to go for 700 x 23 and if I currently have 23's on my bike (Schwable Blizzard) is it ok to change to 700 x 25's trying to learn as much as I can thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

You can run 25mm at relatively lower pressure to 23mm so less harsh of a ride and more grip

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 4 Questionsmad

i do alot of cycling myself and i would recommend that u buy Continental Ultra Gator Skins..there a fairly common tyre so just ask for then in the bike shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BUMP!

Hey all, punctured twice in two commutes(and lost a gear cable) so I'm in need of some more resistant tyres. Currently cursing Michelin Dynamic A2s, stock on it from factory. They arent that worn(couldnt tell you the distance).

4000s or Gatorskins are the way to go but I'm a lil skint right now so Im wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a pair within €60?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Set of GP4000s is €70 on swimcyclerun.ie, well worth it.

If not, Wiggle.co.uk sell gatorskin hard shells for €32 each

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

ED E wrote: »
    BUMP!

Hey all, punctured twice in two commutes(and lost a gear cable) so I'm in need of some more resistant tyres. Currently cursing Michelin Dynamic A2s, stock on it from factory. They arent that worn(couldnt tell you the distance).

4000s or Gatorskins are the way to go but I'm a lil skint right now so Im wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a pair within €60?

Cycle Scene Bikeshop in Cork have a Facebook offer running this week Conti Gatorskins 700 x 25's €28 each so only €56 for the pair

New2bike wrote: »
    Cycle Scene Bikeshop in Cork have a Facebook offer running this week Conti Gatorskins 700 x 25's €28 each so only €56 for the pair

Oh sweet, you dont know if they post perhaps?

Nearly lost a shifter today, getting the end of the gear cable out when it snaps is an *absolute* b1tch of a job so I can justify putting that saving into them anyways.

Foolishly kept with the old ones after I stopped using the luas again. Another puncture so I immediately went into cycleways. They didnt have the Gator Hardshells so one of their downstairs lads suggested the Armadillos. Supposedly much better? Only replaced the rear for now as thats the one thats got the last like 6 punctures straight so seems safe to assume the front is fine.

Anyone used them, decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Loving my recently fitted Continental Grand Prix's (different than the link above). The compound is lovely and grippy.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/continental-grand-prix-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod78421

I used the Gatorskins before - they are bombproof, but could never trust them in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Rode 2 years on 25c GatorSkins and only ever got one puncture.
    Rode 6 months on the stock Giant tyres on my Rapid 4 and had about about 10 punctures.

I bought a Giant Defy 2 a couple of weeks back and the first thing I did was buy a pair of GatorSkin 23c.
    Definitely heavier than the stock tyres but I'll take less punctures over weight.

On the negative side, the Gatorskins don't feel as grippy in the wet. I never crashed, but the backwheel has spun out a few times in the wet when moving off. Never felt in danger though.

25c will feel more comfortable. 23c will feel faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I'd agree but try to do this before you have a spectacular blowout that scares the s**t out of you as your descending the Old Long Hill! I inspected the tyres the week before and "suspected" the rear tyre that came with the bike was about to go but did I change it? Yes, along with the tube that I couldn't salvage :(

Gatorskins onboard now and 1.5k in without incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Great topic this so what is the best for grip on wet roads with winter around the corner

Advertisement