Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracks in dog's pads.

• 05-07-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed cracks in the pads of one of my dogs - they are on all of his paws. The pads are quite dry but the cracks arn't deep, quite shallow in fact, and don't seem to be even slightly painful to the touch and he is happily trotting in and out to the garden all morning.

Having said that, this particular fella has developed a tendency over the last month to flop down during a walk and refuse to budge until he is sure we are going home. I had put this down to the fact that he has health issues (a liver shunt) so tends to get tired long before my other dogs (hyper jrts) but now I am wondering if his pads are the issue.

I checked the other dogs and all of their pads are grand - he wouldn't have been anywhere the others weren't.
    He also had his meds changed 2 weeks ago - he takes half a tablet of Betamox 200mg (antibiotic) twice a day. Given he is already on antibiotics I don't see how it could be an infection - and there is no indication of any infection.

I have checked his skin elasticity and it's perfect so he's not dehydrated - in fact he drinks a huge amount of water.

I doubt if they have been there long as he is a roll on his back rub my tummy kinda guy and we would have seen them.

Will take him to the vet later (we have to collect our other boy dog who is being 'done' today anyway) but I was wondering if any of you have encountered this and suggestions as to possible cause/treatment.

As he is a long-term foster from an animal rescue I don't want to run up their vet bills unnecessarily and I would normally just pay myself but don't have the funds today as I agreed to pay for the other foster rescue dog I am in the process of adopting to be neutered today and last week I paid for his vaccination/micro chip and took out a health plan for him - so I'm skint. :(

I have attached an image of the 'worst' of his paws.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Op, I rub a bit of vaseline into my dogs pads from time to time (not easy with my male granted who hates getting his feet touched). This seems to help with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

would second putting some lubricant/moisturiser on his paws, but those cracks are very strange - what age/breed? - since he is on long term meds, and you are going to the vet anyway, just as well to show the paws to the vet. Let us know what they say please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

aonb wrote: »
    would second putting some lubricant/moisturiser on his paws, but those cracks are very strange - what age/breed? - since he is on long term meds, and you are going to the vet anyway, just as well to show the paws to the vet. Let us know what they say please?

He's a rescue so age/breed are best guess - we think he is one and a collie x corgi.

The rescue have asked my to hold off with the vets and try sudocrem and no walks over the weekend as their funds are very tight and he is hopping around the place without a care in the world so it isn't distressing him- if no improvement by Monday he will be going to the vet.

After investigation we do have a possible cause - he was playing on a lawn last week that had a so-called 'safe for pets' fertiliser recently applied - apparently this kind of cracking is common when dogs pads come in contact with fertiliser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just make sure and regularly check these 'cracks' so that nothing gets wedged in there. Our lad spilt a pad last year and it had a small shard of glass wedged in there. Apparently (my dad told me) they can heal over - with the offending object trapped in the pad, causing soreness and infection.

Sorry, that sounds like a horror story ending/scenario. Just meant to say.. Check them regularly to be on the safe side nothing gets stuck in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The cracks could be caused by his gait - so if he's not walking evenly it could cause them to crack. My dog's pads used be be all worn and cracked like that (one is still cracked but healthy) before he had corrective surgey on his legs. Our vet said it was nothing to worry about and to use olive oil/vaseline - ie don't bother buying special wax etc for them. Just be careful if you have wooden floors and slick the the pads up - the poor dog will be like bambi! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We'd all best keep an eye on our pets paws this coming week, I'd say the ground would be like a furnace if the forecast is right. I leave a bowl with a litre of fresh water along with a bowl of food for a cat I'm feeding near an apartment complex, I'm not sure if it's a stray but it's too thin. Anyway most of the water is gone every day so various creatures are drinking it. I hate to think of animals, stray, feral or roaming that don't have access to water, especially in hot weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Sorry to hijack the thread but my post didn't warrant starting a new one. Our Lab is near 2yrs old and this week she has started limping around on her front right paw.

I brought her to the groomers (who is also a vet nurse) during the week & mentioned it to her. She had a look & said it was nothing to worry about and that she had washed her paws in something that seemed to improve the limping that day but it has since returned & is at its worst when I got home from work today.

I reckon we'll have to bring her to the vet on Monday but just wondering what it could be from? No change in food or environment of late. Some people are saying dry weather or damp paws or pollen etc. Anything I should do to ease her discomfort until Monday? I had put a small bandage over it last night to stop her licking it but took it off so as not to be annoying her. Poor thing. Feel so helpless.

Pic posted of sore paw compared to other 3. Very red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Looks like an allergy to me - the pollen is very high the last week. I give my dog pirotin when he gets a rash from the grass and it usually sorts it out - the vet said this was fine. I'd keep her off the grass and bathe the paw in warm salty water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

tk123 wrote: »
    Looks like an allergy to me - the pollen is very high the last week. I give my dog pirotin when he gets a rash from the grass and it usually sorts it out - the vet said this was fine. I'd keep her off the grass and bathe the paw in warm salty water too.

Friend recommended pirotin this morning so started her on it there now. Will try the warm salty water too. How often with the bathing & tablets?

What about vasolene after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Warm, salt water is good. You could also try a little tea tree oil as well. Mine has doggy hay fever, and this is what I use after walking him on grass. A couple of drops in warm water usually helps.

• Advertisement

Just an update on this.

Have been putting sudocrem on his pads and they are much better. Still a few small cracks but nothing like they were.
    We have also avoided walking him except a short one on grass when it gets cool at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I've seen some dogs wearing little bootie things, looks a bit odd but if it gives their paws a break I'd be all for it. I can't believe how many people are walking dogs in the hottest part of the day. The concrete in my garden burns the soles off me if I just go out to the bin. It must be awful for dogs and cats, especially on tarmac footpaths.

I've seen some dogs wearing little bootie things, looks a bit odd but if it gives their paws a break I'd be all for it. I can't believe how many people are walking dogs in the hottest part of the day. The concrete in my garden burns the soles off me if I just go out to the bin. It must be awful for dogs and cats, especially on tarmac footpaths.

I know - I saw someone walking a husky around a car park yesterday at noon. :eek:

Advertisement