Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the leaving cert 2013/14

• 05-07-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

So I'm thinking of repeating the leaving cert. I done it 4 years ago and didn't do great. I'm thinking about doing nursing but I don't have enough points. I don't know if after 4 years is it worth it. I'm 21 now I don't know if I'm too old to do at this crack again:( anyone know any good courses or colleges were I can repeat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

cat_<3 wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of repeating the leaving cert. I done it 4 years ago and didn't do great. I'm thinking about doing nursing but I don't have enough points. I don't know if after 4 years is it worth it. I'm 21 now I don't know if I'm too old to do at this crack again:( anyone know any good courses or colleges were I can repeat?

Can you not do a pre nursing course instead? My friend is doing one next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭shawki

When are you 23 so you can look at the mature route?

I repeated my leaving this year after getting 250 in 2006.

As I had already passed English, Irish and French I didn't need to repeat them so I could just pick my 6 best subjects which made things easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cat_<3

Can you not do a pre nursing course instead? My friend is doing one next year :)

I was looking into doing that but I was reading on the nursing website that I need maths and six subjects but I'm not sure does that still apply if you do a plc in pre nursing because I noticed a lot of colleges doing the course are saying you need to be at a certain standard eg 2 honours 4 passes

shawki wrote: »
    When are you 23 so you can look at the mature route?

I repeated my leaving this year after getting 250 in 2006.

As I had already passed English, Irish and French I didn't need to repeat them so I could just pick my 6 best subjects which made things easier.

If you repeat do you have to do Irish and English again or can you pick and choose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

If you repeat do you have to do Irish and English again or can you pick and choose?

Pick and chooses as long asyou've met the matriculation requirements fist time round, eg most courses require a pass in maths english and irish, if you failed irish first time round you would have to repeat Irish, you should check out the requirements first and see if you met them first time round, most nursing courses (and pre-nursing courses) require a C in a HL science subject, but check out the individual courses first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi, i repeated this year and there were many 21 year old's so i wouldn't worry about that! I repeated in rathmines college and it was brilliant!!! i didn't do maths and irish this year because i had passed them. The pre nursing is an option but not everyone who does the pre nursing can move on to do nursing ,there are only a certain number of places so its those with the highest results get to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭shawki

Not if you passed them

As regards subjects, I found it better to take up a subject new at honours level rather than repeating a pass subject that you can barely remember.

Biology and Agricultural Science go well together

Economics is a good subject to do in a year

Cork College of Commerce have a brilliant repeat LC course

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lcer212

21????you are DEFINITELY not to old to start again!!!;)I know of a guy who repeated when he was 23 and he is doing national school teaching now and going into his 2nd year!!its better to graduate at 25 doing something you love than graduate at 22 doing something you dont enjoy...!if its what you really WANT...GO FOR IT!

Thanks everyone for your feedback you have all been helpful:)

Just another thing do i need to repeat irish as I need it to get into nursing or does the points from my last LC carry over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Just another thing do i need to repeat irish as I need it to get into nursing or does the points from my last LC carry over?

Grades, not points carry over, unless you are applying with your LC and not repeating. Some colleges eg Trinity dont require a pass in Irish though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

No, when i repeated this year i did not do irish , i got a pass in it last year so that counts as a pass in irish for entry requirements but you get no points from last year.

Advertisement