Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imported used bike

• 05-07-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello, I have moved from Lisbon to Dublin 3 months ago and I have a 2003 Honda CB 600 Hornet back home that I am considering having it shipped to Dublin.

Once I have it here what do I have to do and where do I have to go in order to legalize it?
    How expensive is road tax and insurance for motorcycles?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

vehicle registration tax is a once off of 95e, and that'll get you a license plate (calculated figure from https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s4)

once you've gotten your license plate number, you can tax it (road/motor tax), which is currently e88 a year

insurance is the question mark.. depends on alot of details omitted from your post. License, age, no claims bonus, cover required, location etc etc. Can range from ~200e to 1000e+ yearly

you may be able to legally ride it here for a period of time in its current state - lisbon plates etc, but I cant comment Im afraid
    also presuming the bike has >6000km on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joaofilipe

Thanks Wossack,

I was reading about the possibility of keeping the plates and how long would it be legal but in fact for my case it seems I have tax relief on the VRT.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html

Good to know that the road tax is not a huge deal either. I am just afraid of the insurance now.

ah very good - I think that vrt relief has some caveats; cant sell the bike for a few years or something? just to note

yea, insurance is a bit of a problem here in ireland - could be worthwhile ringing some of the companies (think theres only 5 that cover bikes currently), and seeing if they can give you a ballpark estimation. Some may not recognise out of state no claims bonus, another thing to be aware of..

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Sagi

Hi I'm using thias old thread so I don't have to open a new one.

My das has an old BMW k75 which he is not riding anymore and I have an old Honda NX 25 which is giving up on me. I also want to step up to a bigger bike as I have been riding the Honda for nearly a year now.

So I want to bring his BMW over to Ireland but I have to say I'm a bit confused regarding the requirements.

Most probably it will be shipped so it will come to Ireland in the back of a van and will be deliverd to my home.

Now the fun starts. I have checked the citizens information website and it says I need Insurance, pay VRT and Road Tax before I am allowed to drive in Ireland.

Now, how does this work, I'm supposed to bring the bike to a NCST Center to get it registered and pay VRT, Then I can get my license plates and after that insurance an Motor Tax.

How do I bring the bike to the NCST Test Center if I am not allowed to drive it? (no Insurance or Motor Tax at this stage)

NCST website shows required documents I have to bring and I'm not sure regarding som points
    Nr. 3 and 4: Evidence of previous registration e.g. foreign certificate of registration, a certificate of permanent exportation or a certificate of de-registration in the case of a vehicle imported from outside the EU, as appropriate, if the car has been previously registered. (A Vehicle Salvage Certificate cannot be used to register a vehicle from 20th February 2012) If the car has not been previously registered a Certificate of Conformity is required (this document will be retained by NCTS so please ensure you make a copy of it before you go to the test centre).

not sure what kind of document that would be

Vehicle invoice which must have the date of purchase/sale clearly indicated. If registering the vehicle on behalf of another customer, you must provide a signed letter from the customer authorising that the vehicle can be registered in their name.

I guess I will draft up some kind of sales with my dad, but this will probably be in german, do I need translations for a document like this?

Thank you for your help, I have not previously imported any kind of vehicle to ireland and I want to make sure I get everything right before shipping it over.

Seb

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joaofilipe

Hi Sagi, I drove to the NCST test center without insurance, I guess if you get stopped for some reason you can explain the situation.

In the NCST you will pay the registration fee and then they will give you your new licence plates and a PIN number that you can use to pay your motor tax online. To pay this motor tax you will need insurance first.

Evidence of previous registration document in my case was my portuguese registration booklet which is a form of "foreign certificate of registration".

I did not have any vehicle invoice, I don't think you will need that.

• Advertisement

Can transfer your insurance to the new bike to drive it to the NCT test centre. You have a certain amount of time (I think a month, since the NCT centres started doing them?) from when the vehicle enters the country to register it here.

Registering it here will give you a license plate number. You cant tax it here without a plate number afaik

So it goes insurance -> VRT -> motor tax

As for the registration document, hopefully your dad will help you there. It'll be the equivalent of our logbook / registration certs :

vrc.jpg

And as for the invoice, I believe it will need to be in english (?), but can be very simple I believe. Names, date, VIN number, signatures etc

Thank s for your advice guys, not sure how transferring the insurance would work before I have license plates for the new bike, but I'll give em a call, hopefully I'll get cheaper insurance anyhow after driving for a year without any issues.

I'm sure my dad has all the documentation required in Austria and hopefully that will do in Ireland as well and he can also write an invoice for me I guess.

would not recommend, or suggest chancing it with regards insurance... seriously doubt you'll be able to explain your way out of it, and its a mandatory court appearance afaik

I had dealer plates on mine when I brought it down from up north. But when I went to insure it, they used the last 6 digits of the VIN to uniquely identify it on their system

Maybe the best plan would be to ask my dad not to cancel his insurance until I have organised everything here, So i could leave it on the austrian plates until that's done and would have insurance to drive to the NCTS.

Advertisement