Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rust Prevention

• 05-07-2013 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

I was doing some work on my '97 Laguna so its been off the road a while. I have it stripped out (all that is in the interior of the car at the moment is the top half of the dash). While I'm at it and because I'll be keeping the car for good I was going to do some rust prevention.

Is this stuff any good or would it clog any drain outlets in the doors/boot lid etc. Want to do the doors/boot lid/sills/bonnet etc. Would one or two cans do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

On the phone so can't see the link..... What I normally do is use karust and paint over it with hammerite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

at work we use Dinitrol as a corrosion preventive on aircraft . If it's good enough for boeing and airbus I'm sure it more than do the job on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

When using these products on older cars would it be required to remove any existing rust from the surface before application?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

it needs to be applied to a clean surface. Denitrol also would need to be reapplied at least every 2 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I found Dinitrol bloody good, though my fave would be the bilt hamber waxes. IMH Waxoyl is near useless. Back in the day it was better than nothing yes, but times and chemistry have moved on. Some have even suggested and experienced rust in sills getting worse because of waxoyl setting lumpy and pooling water. I'm dubious about painting over with hammerite. I've seen rust run along under the stuff while it looked fine.

Like Katunga says any coating you put on has to be over a clean, pretreated surface. The waxes have rust inhibiters in them, but if you leave any active rust it will creep back. So mechanically remove any obvious rust by sanding etc, then hit it with a good rust converter, Dinitrol and Bilt Hamber do good ones. The BH seems to leave a better painting surface which I found acted like a primer and stood up better over time. Then paint the area and then hit it with the wax.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement