Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earwigs in rabbit hutch

• 05-07-2013 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

I have had my rabbit for almost 7yrs now, his mate died 2yrs ago but he has dealt with that quite well. Last summer/autumn loads, I mean a swarm of bloody ear wigs took over his hutch. Its a 'bedroom' raised off the ground with his bedding, then a small run with pavement and grass sections. I cleaned his hutch several times with a watered down bleach and let it dry/air with him in a bigger run in garden. However they keep returning. They are everywhere! Anyone have rabbit friendly advice for earwigs? Are they a danger to my rabbit? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hi, just because no-one else has answered your post :D: you could buy a powder at the pet shop that will kill the earwigs off, and act as a deterrant too. Im sure that the staff in the pet shop will be able to recommend something rabbit-safe, if not try a farm/feed store? I bought a general LICE/FLEA powder for my hens coop recently, and it says something about killing most of those creepy crawlies too (HATE earwigs and woodlice - ugh!) Oh and you might just move your hutch to someplace else away from the (current) source of earwigs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

I will try my local pet shop tomorrow about the lice/insect powder. After I clean it (and let it dry out) I will move the hutch closer to the house away from what could be the source. I just hope there can be stuff that is okay for rabbits. Thanks :)

Advertisement