Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we take silage from a field that has sheep in it?

• 05-07-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if its possible to take silage from a field that has sheep in it? For various reasons we have a 7 acre field which has had a dozen sheep on it for the past few months. Its now gone past the stage where it can be topped and I've nowhere else to put the sheep. Would the silage be useable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

arctictree wrote: »
    Just wondering if its possible to take silage from a field that has sheep in it? For various reasons we have a 7 acre field which has had a dozen sheep on it for the past few months. Its now gone past the stage where it can be topped and I've nowhere else to put the sheep. Would the silage be useable?

Sheep fit up the chute no bother. Go for it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Sheep fit up the chute no bother. Go for it:D
    you beat me to it, was going to say maybe take the sheep off it first.... op i dont see a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Maybe dont cut it too low so the ****e will be left on the ground and not in the silage if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

moy83 wrote: »
    Maybe dont cut it too low so the ****e will be left on the ground and not in the silage if possible

Yes, that was my only concern!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Although the "dung to acre" ratio is quite low I'd be very cautious about silage. Having said that we cut hay in similar conditions years ago and small square baled it and it was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

arctictree wrote: »
    Yes, that was my only concern!

cut it low sh!t preserves quite well in silage and animals will not eat it. clay on the other hand is a different kettle of fish, never should be brought into silage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Would you not cut it and make hay of it?

The ****e wouldn't matter at al then, and if there was sheep in it, it shouldnt be too heavy and should save in time. Especially in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

We don't keep sheep, but our granduncle used to do something similar. But he would have 4 or 5 of us walk all around the field with empty meal bags picking bits of stray wool.. The idea was incase an animal was to choke on the wool. Just something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Just today across from were we working a large portion off a field with ten Bullocks in it the past ten weeks was mowed down for hay, be s.... Enough you would think.

Advertisement