Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable USB boot in bios

Options
  • 05-07-2013 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm trying to disable USB booting on my BIOS (Award F7), but I've been through all the options I can see and it doesn't appear to be there. The 'Boot options' menu doesn't provide this option either.
    I want to disable USB boot and set a password on my BIOS so only I can enable/disable this at will for security, but setting a BIOS pw is little use if the PC can be booted from a USB drive anyway.
    Is anyone familiar with this version? Gogle is proving little use as it keeps turning up article on how to boot from USB (which I can already do).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

A password set from BIOS is the first thing that has to be entered for any use on a PC so there is no need to disable USB boot because you can't get to that point. Make sure you aren't just using the Supervisor password OR enable the password from the Boot options (see Password Check - change this from Setup to Always).

bios31.jpg
    How_to_BIOS_settings_with_AMI-15.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

"AWARD F7" doesn't yield any search results. Mind you, manufacturers can modify BIOS options to their likings. Would be better to post computer make and model.

Some BIOS allow to disable the F12 boot options display, this might be helpful in your case.

Advertisement