Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picnic Areas, Parks etc in and around Limerick

• 05-07-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Looks like it's shaping up to be a decent weekend on the weather front so looking for some options to take Cartman Jnr out and about.

He's coming up on 9 mths now and pretty much mobile now so all set for action :D

Having a complete brain freeze at the minute tbh....can only think of Adare, the two parks in town and maybe Cratloe (?).

Would love to hear of any other nearly-toddler friendly parks, picnic areas around the city & county.

Thanks in advance, CM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Lough Gur the new visitors centre opened this week. Edge of the water is shallow for a little paddle and splash as long as you keep the sandals on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Curraghchase is nice or Killaloe if you want to be near to water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Ted Russell Park aka the one on NCRd by Condell Road is a nice quiet place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Shelbourne park Castletroy park is nice for smallies as is the peoples park. You would need to go early though before it gets too packed. Then you can let Jnr have a toddle in the park too or bring a ball( never too early to teach your kid ball skills ) If he cant walk you can roll it or throw it to him

Feed the ducks at Curraghchase or Killaloe, theres a small lakeside beach on the outskirts of it ( past the Kincora Hall hotel ) He'll love that.

On a wet day the play centres have lovely toddler areas. I prefer tons of fun to the others but that's just me.

Do you have a picnic blanket, paddling pool in the back garden? To be honest This is what we do when the weather gets too fine to be in the car. :)

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/camping/ladybird-kids-tent/invt/052317

I just saw this little ladybird or tiger tent and I think it's gorgeous. They love tents too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Think the better ones within striking distance of the city have been named, but would just like to add that anyone thinking about Curraghchase should be aware that there has been a number of cars broken into there during busy times over the past number of weeks.

Seemingly those doing it wait in the car park for folk to go on one of the walks, and then go at the car.

Would defo recommend heading up to Lough Derg though, as there are some great spots on both the Killaloe and Ballina sides. On the Ballina side there is a public playground/walking area just across from Goosers bar, and if you drive out the Portroe road there is a lovely lakeside playground/picnic area after about 4 or 5 miles driving. Drive a bit further and you end up in Garykennedy which is also a nice spot but a little one would need to be watched as there is some very deep water right at the shoreline is spots.

The Killaloe side of the lake has some great spots as well on the stretch between Killaloe and Annacarriga. The public area beside the UL activity centre is a nice spot (though it can be busy on a fine day), and if there are jet skis etc on the water then the little one will have something else to watch and marvel at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 reach4thestars

Defo curraghchase....although it will be busy a day like today! Be safe stay away from water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I'd recommend heading out to Glenstal Abbey out in Murroe. Lovely place for a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Second Glenstal Abbey, also Clare Glens are perfect for weather like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Thanks for all the replies guys.....ended up going to Lough Gur on Saturday and Killaloe yesterday....great time in both, lots of space for the little fella to roll about :D

There seems to have been a lot of redevelopment work done in Killaloe since the last time I was there...very impressive looking although the traffic situation is still a bit of a nightmare...we missed the worst of it thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

There is a tendency to forget the walks we have in the city itself, there is a beautiful walk along the Shannon from the University into town Clare Street, by the canal. And from there to Corbally. Also one around Kings Island from Athlunkard Boat Club to the Castle around the Island Field. I am foreveralone when I take these walks but they are a lot closer than you think and safe than people would have you believe. Save your petrol and explore what is in your neighbourhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There is a tendency to forget the walks we have in the city itself, there is a beautiful walk along the Shannon from the University into town Clare Street, by the canal. And from there to Corbally. Also one around Kings Island from Athlunkard Boat Club to the Castle around the Island Field. I am foreveralone when I take these walks but they are a lot closer than you think and safe than people would have you believe. Save your petrol and explore what is in your neighbourhood.

Some nice walks alright, and would totally agree with you with regards the safety aspect of each of those two walks, but not really great spots to bring a very young child for a few hours, which the OP wanted to do, as there would be no real facilities in the area for a baby nor are they great spots for letting a young child play (compared to areas with dedicated play areas that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I didn't want to start a separate thread for what I think might fit nicely into this one ;)
    But....(But if a mod feels differently feel free to move)

I do want to ask what spots would people recommend in and around the Limerick/Mid West area for swimming?
    Family friendly preffered of course!
    Or indeed for a nice picnic, and some splashing and paddling.
    I'm specifically asking about Inshore swims as opposed to the sea?
    Obviously it should go without saying that anyone swimming should be aware of their limits and their surroundings.
    Should only swim with others, and never swim drunk!
    So from my own limited knowledge, there'd be the,
    40ft/Tailrace below Parteen.
    Sandy/Pontoon Both these spots are out on the riverbank behind UL
    The ''Rocky'', Opposite riverbank to the ''The sandy''
    Its been many years since I've been out this way so I don't know if these are accessible anymore
    ESB Canal/Headrace, Ardnacrusha.
    The 'Pint', this is opposite Thomas's Island below the 40ft.
    I don't know if its still even accessible anymore. We used to walk out the long pavement and cut in here through fields.
    Killaloe\Mountshannon. I know of 2 spots out here but I'm wondering if there are any more? Algae allowing of course!

The above is hardly an exhaustive list and as can be seen is fairly biased towards spots accessible from the North side ;)
    Cos hey, its what I knew when I was growing up!
    So does anyone have any other spots they'd recommend?
    We have some lovely spots around our region that are very unknown\under used.
    While its easy to hop in a car and drive to the coast, finding some nice spots closer to home could be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

banie01 wrote: »
    40ft/Tailrace below Parteen.

ESB Canal/Headrace, Ardnacrusha.

Don't want to derail the thread, but those two spots are not safe for swimming. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 drownings there. The current is very strong and if you get caught in it, it's almost impossible to get out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

True, but alas all the scumbags are out in force smoking hash and drinking a 2 litre of linden village. I'd be wide about the inner city recreation areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Don't want to derail the thread, but those two spots are not safe for swimming. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 drownings there. The current is very strong and if you get caught in it, it's almost impossible to get out.

I do take your point, and I know of more than 4 over the last 25+yrs.
    Which is why I added my caveat about experience and staying safe.
    Those 2 spots are notorious for their current(moreso the tailrace), but given that this is a known, man-made usually runs to a timetable with a klaxoon warning(unless thats stopped recently?)and generally avoidable issue it would be more a case of staying safe, and being sure that you never overestimate your own abilities.
    Any stretch of water is dangerous without a bit of cop on and even then...
    Its never ''safe''
    That said, I think one would be hard pressed to name any stretch of open water that is used for recreational swimming that hasn't claimed a life.
    It is about avoiding danger and keeping oneself aware of the water, aware of their surroundings and above all keeping safe.
    For some that boils down to avoiding the water altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The Blonde One

I get where you're coming from. I suppose I'm starting to become my parents and repeating their life lessons. Years of "DO NOT GO NEAR THAT WATER" has seeped into my brain. Just wanted to make people aware of how dangerous the current is there.

Advertisement