Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rare or unusal cars for sale in Ireland

• 05-07-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭

Just browsing there and came across this, I know the F10 is as common as muck but surely this is one of very few 550i in the country:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9e2e979341b2c2517dc121b673c57cc7f.jpg
    http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=942829

Bit of a sleeper alright among all the 520ds out there. Nice bargain for someone looking for a fairly new barge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭pcardin

Annual road tax: €2350 :eek:
    What a fucuked up place to have a car :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Someone must be a fan of depreciation :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I remember seeing that car for sale in a BMW main dealer last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say the person who bought that car originally isn't too fused on the price of motor tax or at least wasn't at some stage. The motor tax is obviously one factor of it's sell on price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd say the person who bought that car originally isn't too fused on the price of motor tax or at least wasn't at some stage. The motor tax is obviously one factor of it's sell on price.

I'd say they are new number plates, and the old ones ended with CD.

Think I saw a 550i once. Black, CD plates - probably the same one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

pcardin wrote: »

One of the rare times when the new motor tax scheme results in a higher tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

porsche959 wrote: »
    One of the rare times when the new motor tax scheme results in a higher tax.

Like that for nearly every large engined petrol car no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

OSI wrote: »
    I think a lot of the higher performance cars got screwed on the new tax system, it's why you see **** all of them after 08. The Mk5 GTI, RX8 and a good few others were more expensive on the new tax system.

Mk7 golf gti is €280 a year, nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

I like that it's not even an M-sport. I'd de-badge it for maximum sleeper effect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Patch123 wrote: »
    I like that it's not even an M-sport. I'd de-badge it for maximum sleeper effect.

Yep, SE. MSport wasn't available until 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

I get screwed with my road tax 1500 euro a year for a 3.0, and the roads are shocking I can't even drive the car on some of the roads they are that bad, I pay 1500 euro in road tax for roads I can't drive on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I get screwed with my road tax 1500 euro a year for a 3.0, and the roads are shocking I can't even drive the car on some of the roads they are that bad, I pay 1500 euro in road tax for roads I can't drive on!

Motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Has the term motor tax not been dropped?

Yup just checked my renewal form and it says nothing about motor tax.
    It says "your licence (tax cert) is now due........

Motor tax.

Road tax as it used to be known, road tax/motor tax they are interchangeable and the money motorists pay in "motor tax" is supposed to pay for the maintenance of the countries roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'd say they are new number plates, and the old ones ended with CD.

Think I saw a 550i once. Black, CD plates - probably the same one.

If that was on diplomatic plates before then it would have paid 0 road tax up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Road tax as it used to be known, road tax/motor tax they are interchangeable and the money motorists pay in "motor tax" is supposed to pay for the maintenance of the countries roads.

No, no it doesnt. It goes to general council coffers. Its as much road tax as the household tax is.

Has the term motor tax not been dropped?

WWw.motortax.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

tin79 wrote: »
    Like that for nearly every large engined petrol car no?

Looking up the table it seems you're right. For some reason I thought only very few prestige motors, of the 5 litre Bee Em or Bugatti Veyron category, would fall into the top category. My Saab would it if were it 2008 registered, currently paying "only" 700 or so.

No, no it doesnt. It goes to general council coffers. Its as much road tax as the household tax is.

Thats my point , the roadtax/motortax people pay every year isn't going towards the roads because they are in a shocking state, so much so that it is near impossible to own a sports car in this country unless you like maintenance bills.

And it does't really matter what the term is roadtax/motortax its supposed to pay for the roads regardless of what its called!

Not directly though, as some people seem to think - more tax should mean better roads, which just isn't the case.

• Advertisement

Not directly though, as some people seem to think - more tax should mean better roads, which just isn't the case.

What percentage of the money earned in road tax do you think actually goes into the roads? we all know where the extra tax is going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Talk about off-topic lads. More rare or unusual cars for sale please!

sorry, ill start a thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Tap 'road tax' into Google and up comes motortax.ie. Mick Noonan doesn't care what you call it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

And it does't really matter what the term is roadtax/motortax its supposed to pay for the roads regardless of what its called!

To be honest I never actually though that motor tax should be used for road maintenance.

It's a tax on motor vehicles.
    I rather see it as a prehistoric tax which was imposed on people who owned motor vehicles in times when they were luxury goods, and very few people owned them.

Now they are not luxury goods anymore, but for some strange reason the tax remained.

Cost of maintaining the road should be paid by the whole society as it's the society which is use and need those roads.

What percentage of the money earned in road tax do you think actually goes into the roads? we all know where the extra tax is going!

I was saying that's what some people think, not what I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Out of curiosity, what does a similar year/mileage 520d go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Rare or unusual cars for sale in Ireland?

Something with full service history surely.....

Thats my point , the roadtax/motortax people pay every year isn't going towards the roads because they are in a shocking state, so much so that it is near impossible to own a sports car in this country unless you like maintenance bills.

My first post was an answer to you saying its supposed to be for roads. Its not and doesnt claim to be. Which is a good reason why they didn't name it road tax, it avoids the confusion where people think its for fixing roads. It isnt and just goes to the general council funds like any other money they get.

• Advertisement

Talk about off-topic lads. More rare or unusual cars for sale please!

Thats because google is good at working out what eejits mean when they dont know what stuff is called :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It is disgusting to search car sales websites now and not find a single large engines petrol version of many car models.
    That 550i bmw, never mind the large engine bit, it's one of very few new model petrol 5 series in the country.

Edit: shockingly, it's the only new model petrol 5 series on driving.ie

If that car was bought by a normal citizen and vrt was paid on it, there would be some cheque coming from revenue if it was exported. If on the other hand it was owned by some embassy or the state, there might be no vrt to get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I'll see your pickup and raise you a tipper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Out of curiosity, what does a similar year/mileage 520d go for?

That's a nice spec but most people won't notice the little things. They tend to be advertised at around 25-35% less.

Although it is an epic car, possible the ultimate Q-car if debadged, I don't think it's worth that in this country. It only takes one person to want one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€100k when new. €40k 3 years later. I'll probably buy it for about €500 soon enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Even trying to find a decent spec post 2008 6 cylinder diesel 3 or 5 Series are virtually impossible and Revenue have crazy OMSP on anything you think about importing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-rs4-2-7-avant-bi-turbo-quattro-380/5288023
    Ok I know not too rare, but I've yet to see one driving around.

LHD but still rare, 2.0lt with 300bhp I think.
    Probably a pit though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/maserati-quattroporte-vehicle-details/5296678

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

300bhp from a 19 year old non turbo italian 2 litre? Yeah right.

Edit: I just checked wikipedia, it was 287 bhp when new and id say quite a few of those horses have escaped over the years.

LHD but still rare, 2.0lt with 300bhp I think.
    Probably a pit though.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/maserati-quattroporte-vehicle-details/5296678

The first of the 4 door version ( of the quattroporte) , eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That's also a lie. Could have meant the first one in Ireland, id sooner believe that.

MadYaker wrote: »
    300bhp from a 19 year old non turbo italian 2 litre? Yeah right.

Edit: I just checked wikipedia, it was 287 bhp when new and id say quite a few of those horses have escaped over the years.

It's not bad going for a car that old, but I'd say there is a bit of turbo lag on it!

That's also a lie. Could have meant the first one in Ireland, id sooner believe that.

What was the other lie?

I Was more scoffing at the thought that he reckoned there was a quattroporte with less than 4 doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Here is an Australian built Ford Falcon GT-P, rare enough over in Oz never mind Ireland. 5.4 V8 and Over 400 Hp. No price though, I think when I come home I'll bring my baby:cool:

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

The first of the 4 door version ( of the quattroporte) , eh?

Yeah the two door version was called the dueporte:D
    Seriously though, how un-sexy is a name that literally means "four doors"?

Yeah the two door version was called the dueporte:D
    Seriously though, how un-sexy is a name that literally means "four doors"?

Everybody know words in foreign are sexy , any words :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

pcardin wrote: »

And its a pointless tax rate as well because very few people will pay it - to my mind - the very top rate anyone should be paying is 1,000 euros - and to be honest - I even think that's too much.

One thing they could do is to make the top rate equivalent to the 2 litre rate on the old system - or make the 750 euro rate on the new system the new top rate.

Otherwise imo - its just very very petty indeed when they charge such ridiculous rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Old diesel wrote: »
    And its a pointless tax rate as well because very few people will pay it - to my mind - the very top rate anyone should be paying is 1,000 euros - and to be honest - I even think that's too much.

One thing they could do is to make the top rate equivalent to the 2 litre rate on the old system - or make the 750 euro rate on the new system the new top rate.

Otherwise imo - its just very very petty indeed when they charge such ridiculous rates.

Precisely my thinking.

You will just have to bang your head against a wall though as the government nor certain posters on here will listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What was wrong with the "Today I saw a car for sale" thread :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement