Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training

• 05-07-2013 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

This is an odd one. My 1 year old pup is fully house broken. Very easily trained in that regard. However, for whatever reason, he will very very rarely go to the toilet in our back garden. Is there a reason for this? The wife reckons it could be because he sees it as an extension of the house so he is reluctant to go out there. This may have some merit as when he is over in my folks back garden he will water the fertilise the place all day long. Then, Ill put him on the lead, take him out, and he will cock the leg against the first bush and pee away for the rest of the walk.

Any takers?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

When you were housetraining him, did you bring him out to your back garden to pee?
    And, you're sure he's not squatting in your garden and you could be missing it? Sorry, I hope this doesn't sound like the Spanish inquisition, just trying to eliminate possibilities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yup, I did take him out the back at the start. He used even go to the back door when he knew it was time. And when he did as a pup he got his praise and rubs for it.

As for my not noticing, well I came home at lunchtime and was out the back doing a few bits. I had a tentative eye on him, but didn't notice him do anything. Do I put the lead on him, went out front and with 15 of my steps he went for a good 5 seconds. And again not long after etc etc

Hmmm, I'm just wondering if he' s squatting... Lots of male dogs will squat to pee in their own back garden (theirs is the only doggy scent there, so no need to overmark it), whereas they'll cock the leg for Ireland when they're out on communal turf.
    I know he didn't today, but see if you can establish whether or not this is that he's at.
    Also, some dogs don't like to pee at home, they save it up for going outside off-territory, so there may very well be something in what your OH thinks. However, I'd associate this more with dogs who were not allowed pee in the garden, even as a pup... So it's an odd one alright!

Id just hate to think he is holding it in thinking he cannot go out there. But ya, will keep an eye to see is he squatting. Its one of his many oddnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Mine is like that. It's very rare for her to do anything in our own garden. she might poo occasionally but rarely pee . I didnt have her as a pup so have no idea where it comes from but she was house trained when we got her.

she might not have peed since 8pm, gets let out in the morning and still wont pee until we walk to school at 9. It's kind of annoying... we could have walked or run miles that day but I still have to take her out for a walk to pee in the evenings. Or a rainy Sunday morning I would so like to not have to go out for a walk as soon as I get up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »
    just trying to eliminate possibilities!

Nice pun there ;) OP my dog would be similar - he wees out the front & back but prefers to poop out the front - we have flower beds out the front which he prefers than the concrete/slabs out the back.

There's also the habitual end of things to consider. Dogs can get into a serious mental rut when it comes to toileting, especially dogs who like things to be "just so", who perhaps like to be in control? Does that describe any of your dogs?
    I suppose, when you think about it, humans can become a bit "funny" in their toileting habits too, only going on their own toilet, and holding on until they get home...or other little rules.... So, why not dogs, or cats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Interesting about dogs not lifting their leg in their own back garden. Henry's like that, but I never really thought about why. He'll usually just squat or lift his leg a couple of inches like it's not worth the effort. But when we're out on walks he lifts his leg so high it's almost vertical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

One of mine likes a bit of height when he's out doing a poo. (On walks etc) Like right on the top of sand dunes with the tall grass almost tickling his bum, or in the sea itself with the water almost at bum level! Or in other peoples geranium pots. :o. At 9am in the morning he goes out to the same patch of grass and does 3 turns and poos. Then a bit of 4 wheel drive scent spreading and a trot away with a smile on his face. He is the essence of regular:D.

On the other hand I've had dogs here that don't eliminate on walks and save it til they get back for my garden. Both males and females that I can think of. I have also encountered dogs that are 'embarrassed' and like to do it out of sight of prying eyes. They go over in a corner that's behind fencing. Who knows what goes on in their heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

especially dogs who like things to be "just so", who perhaps like to be in control? Does that describe any of your dogs?

ha ha... in control yes that's my dog :o:D I do 99% of her walks (considering there are 3 a day thats a lot of miles we cover together). On the rare evenings that my OH walks her she sometimes doesnt pee... so I STILL have to take her out again !

• Advertisement

When you were housetraining him, did you bring him out to your back garden to pee?
    And, you're sure he's not squatting in your garden and you could be missing it? Sorry, I hope this doesn't sound like the Spanish inquisition, just trying to eliminate possibilities!

Having spent a lot more time out the back with over the last 2 weeks, I have noticed that he does indeed squat quite frequently to do his business, so you are right in what you say.

He will never go immediately mind. As for pooping, well that's just held until walk time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Mine went through a phase like that when he was a pup. He'd do his wees in the garden, but never No.2's! Then it was the other way round...

Now he's got into the habit of doing his wee's in the bottom part of the garden and his No. 2's in the top part. Unless it's raining and he can't be arsed to jump up to the top part! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

my cocker is kinda strange like that too...

he will only wee on the right hand side of the garden where we have some gravel... same spot everyday

he will only poo left hand side, again on gravel same spot...

Yes its odd, but its great in a way as we have lots of plants / decking / cobbling locking and gravel but he a "gravel" fettish or something, so no smells / mess all over the garden...:P

Advertisement