Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play-Asia selling Xbox One Games seemingly cheaper? -(And PS4)

• 05-07-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this, maybe it has been mentioned before, but i didn't see it.

Some good prices, but some weird pricing going on too.

For example, just looking around on Amazon and other sites, it seems that the average price for a game is around €69.

Play-Asia is selling
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Ubisoft
    Compatible with Xbox One
    US, No Region Protection / Action Adventure
    Release date: Oct, 2013 - €45.65
    But selling the (Still Region Free) European Version of the same game for
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Ubisoft
    Compatible with Xbox One
    Europe, No Region Protection / Action Adventure
    Release date: Dec, 2013 - €76.13

What is going on there?
    Surely someone would be better off buying the region free U.S. version?

View all the XBOX ONE GAMES AVAILABLE HERE

and if somebody wants to start a similar thread in the Playstation forums

ALL PS4 GAMES ARE AVAILABLE HERE

Will it be possible to buy the cheaper U.S. versions and play them on our EU consoles, or are we just destined to be ripped off?
    Also the Assassins Creed game comes out 2 months later.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,873 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

$60=€46

U.s versions will work here but you could get stung by customs and you'll be waiting a few weeks for the games to arrive from Hong Kong. I expect most games to be €60 here, probably everywhere but gamestop who'll chance their arm at selling them for €70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

ShaneU wrote: »
    $60=€46

U.s versions will work here but you could get stung by customs and you'll be waiting a few weeks for the games to arrive from Hong Kong.

Could you not just download some?

Still seems like a big price difference.

Also, i just read this - http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-to-reportedly-drop-xbox-one-drm-region-locking-256617.phtml

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ShaneU wrote: »
    $60=€46

U.s versions will work here but you could get stung by customs and you'll be waiting a few weeks for the games to arrive from Hong Kong. I expect most games to be €60 here, probably everywhere but gamestop who'll chance their arm at selling them for €70

I order from playasia nearly once a week and have never once been stung by customs. You should look out for Korean versions of games. They are always in English and are even cheaper again.

The only downside to ordering from playasia is that hong kong post is very slow so expect to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I order from playasia nearly once a week and have never once been stung by customs. You should look out for Korean versions of games. They are always in English and are even cheaper again.

The only downside to ordering from playasia is that hong kong post is very slow so expect to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery.

I was caught for customs from playasia, granted it was a few years ago, but haven't used them since to give a more recent opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's something bigger than a game you'll get stung but I've not been stung on any game I've bought and I've ordered loads from playasia.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind waiting 3-4 weeks for a game if i was getting it a lot cheaper.

I still don't understand why the games are more expensive here though.

It's hardly a VAT issue. There are still professional DVD/CD duplication services up and down the Country, and any of them could print off the lot for feck all.

Well it is a VAT thing and companies like getting away with overcharging Europe as well since it ensures they won't make big losses if the exchange rate changes. XBox 360 games were being printed in Sonopress in Swords for a while so it's nothing to do with transportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Allyall wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind waiting 3-4 weeks for a game if i was getting it a lot cheaper.

I still don't understand why the games are more expensive here though.

It's hardly a VAT issue. There are still professional DVD/CD duplication services up and down the Country, and any of them could print off the lot for feck all.
    The high price in Ireland is mainly to do with rent, rates, staff costs, taxes, vat and other taxes.

The high price in Ireland is mainly to do with rent, rates, staff costs, taxes, vat and other taxes.

I meant Europe, as opposed to U.S. or Asia.

Advertisement