Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to remove red wine stain from a cotton garment?

• 05-07-2013 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi as is the norm I there was red wine droppings on my lovely new cotton striped top last night. Does anyone know of anything, either around the house or in the shops that would remove this, with minimal affect on the cotton?.

Danke
    K:)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've moved this to the Fashion & Appearance forum because I think you're more likely to get help in here. There's a product called Stain Devils, with one particularly for tea, red wine and fruit juice. It used to be available in supermarkets so you should have a look.

Moved from Beer & wine & spirits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Bread/baking soda is fantastic for removing stains from clothing.

It's about €2 for a bag which will last ages.

Wet the stains with luke warm water, then gently massage in a small amount of the soda onto the stains and let sit for about two minutes and then rinse the soda out of the garment. Once the soda has been rinsed put the top into a wash and put in about a pinch (not a teaspoon, literally a pinch) of the soda with the washing powder and put the wash on as normal.

It's great for getting tan, make up stains etc. out of clothes so it will hopefully do the same with red wine.

There is also ace bleach which you just spray onto the stains and put into the washing machine straight away. If you use ace bleach DO NOT leave it sitting on the clothes for any more than three or four minutes before washing in the machine otherwise it will stain but if you wash the garment straight after applying the bleach it won't stain but will remove the stains you sprayed with it.

Ace bleach is a few euros and again will last you ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Have you tried soda water? Just pour it on and blot with tissues, then wash as usual. Have only done this with a fresh (still wet) stain.
    For a dried stain, equal parts hydrogen peroxide and washing up liquid works perfectly, followed by washing as normal. Again, just blot with tissues rather than working the mixture in to the stain, which will only 'set' the stain.
    Definitely don't wash the shirt before trying to remove the stain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks all. Is Baking Powder the same as Baking Soda? tried that a while ago and it looked to be helping although it's hard to tell when something is wet. It's in the machine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I only went and did the exact same thing last night. My friend sent a glass flying and I have red wine spatter on a lovely white cotton top. Only noticed when I got home so I put it steeping and tried bleach/washing up liquid on it this morning. I don't have much hope:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Toast it's nearly dry and I don't see the wine stain, thank you:)

How did you get on fits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Spots are barely visible, you really have to look for them so top is grand as they were tiny specks in first place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

White wine helps to remove red wine stains, weird but true! Maybe it has to be on a fresh stain but I've done it before and it works!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sorry for bumping an older thread but..

Any suggestions if the garment has already been treated with salt & white wine, and washed in a machine but its still stained?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Abouttime

There is this soap and literally gets every stain out. It's a chunk of yellow soap, I don't know where you live but you can get it in Howards Storage in The Park in Carrickmines! Amazing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Sully wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping an older thread but..

Any suggestions if the garment has already been treated with salt & white wine, and washed in a machine but its still stained?

Vanish used to have a bar of soap that was great to remove red wine stains. You have to work it well into the stain and then wash. You may have to repeat it a couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Soda Water is basically fizzy water with bread soda in it, so it's amore expensive way of using the bread soda post.

Baking powder has an acid, usually tartaric acid to neutralise the base of the bread soda.
    You want bread soda, baking soda, bicarbonate of sodium, sodium bicarbonate.
    you should get it in a kilo or half kilo type size, while baking powder comes in a 50/100g tin.

I've heard Salt as a remedy for red wine stains also, but usually whe still wet.

The OP may have to consider the garment is ruined, My Da splashed red wine on a wall and despite scrubbing it off next day, after 5 coats of paint, there's still a blemish on the kitchen wall... the grapeskins are a potent dye

Advertisement