Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kawasaki GT 550

• 05-07-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

looking for info on a GT 550.. 1997.. baught bike yesterday.. 1997.. found a fault in th wiring which is now fixed.. battery charged.. now bike starts and will stay running..
    If revved water shoots out with exchaust fumes.. also noticed a slight knock when idling. but sounds sweet when revved..
    havnt test drove it as dont want to cause any damage.
    So Question is: for a bike lying up for sometime is this normal and what checks can i make to the bike before driving it?
    Any info greatly appreciated.. cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭vagabond2013

Does anyone have info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

I ran a GT550 for a few years in the mid 90's - that knock is more then likely that your carbs are out of balance, other than that a good solid motor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I must have put up a few hundred thousand miles on GT550's, probably the best work bike I've ever used.

I can't remember them ever having a knock.. They do run rough on the choke.

Other than that they've quick rot exhausts and check inside the petrol tank for rust, you'll see it very clear (dark spots against the silver tank.

The carb diaphrams corrode too.. Other than that they're a brilliant little work horse.

thanks for the advice... duly noted and will investigate tomorrow .. in need of several beers today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Nodster wrote: »
    I ran a GT550 for a few years in the mid 90's - that knock is more then likely that your carbs are out of balance, other than that a good solid motor

more likely the primary chain. perfectly normal for an old Z engine, nothin to worry about though.
    once theres oil in the window, and it runs okay the GT should keep going, weather thats a good thing or not is debatable.

• Advertisement

more likely the primary chain. perfectly normal for an old Z engine, nothin to worry about though.
    once theres oil in the window, and it runs okay the GT should keep going, weather thats a good thing or not is debatable.

Debatable in what way??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Debatable in what way??

As a joking way,8 valve engine, 1 pot brakes, skinny tyres, air forks, and the reassuring knowledge that the first million miles were done under a fat copper's arse.

Advertisement