Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diversity of facilities Firhouse

Options
  • 05-07-2013 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

Prompted by the now closed thread regarding a residential unit in Firhouse, I thought a thread to celebrate the diversity of the area and its many facilities might be in order.

Hopefully people will add with perhaps little known facts about the area.

Firhouse has:
    2 private nursing homes
    3 pubs
    1 shopping centre with a supermarket and 2 smaller sets of shops
    2 chinese restaurants
    1 residential unit
    1 convent
    2 churches - although the VC is now closed
    1 community centre - there is a bar there too
    1 halting site
    1 park
    1 farm where you can buy free range eggs and have allotments.
    3 schools
    1 credit union

Coming soon:
    A LIDL on the Old Court Road
    A childrens home for teenagers on the site of the old garden centre
    Schools on some of the green area by the Community Centre.

Gone but still fondly remembered:
    The Garage
    Video Connection

Something I have often wondered about but never managed to investigate is - what is the site in behind where the newish social housing is on the Old Court road? To the left of the old garden centre site as you stand facing it.
    Also - is there access to the ruin you can see in around there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cmuwan

Any idea who to contact RE site of old garden centre. Has it been sold already or is it just a proposed teenager home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Cmuwan wrote: »
    Any idea who to contact RE site of old garden centre. Has it been sold already or is it just a proposed teenager home?

The planning application is available on SDCCs website. Its been sold and planing agreed etc. Here is the link:
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&regref=SD10A/0205&type=apps&dateoptions=any&area=Any&keywordtype=location&term=firhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Wheres the farm?

Opposite the apartments on the Old Court Road - its called Old Court Farm.

The farmer is a fella called Tim McGlynn, very nice chap, sells the free range eggs locally - they are yummy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Coming soon:
    A LIDL on the Old Court Road

Schools on some of the green area by the Community Centre.

The Lidl is being fought tooth and nail by the locals (NIMBYism) and the local councillors (with local elections on the horizon...)

The Educate Together School and Gaelscoil are also being fought tooth and nail, this time by the residents of Firhouse ("we have a primary school already, we don't want more traffic" more NIMBYism) and the same councillors who have dreamt up the idea of getting rid of Lidl and putting one or two primary schools together on the Old Court site. The site for the schools beside the Community Centre is very much the outsider. The preferred site by the schools is currently at the Knocklyon Utd FC grounds. The deal is if the Dept of Education buys the land from the SDCC, the money gets invested back into the pitch and facilities to upgrade the amenity. But even this is being objected to by the locals...

• Advertisement

As far as I am aware (and according to the documents on SDCCs website planning) the LIDL is a done deal now.

There were a number of irate neighbours - couldnt understand it myself, I bought in the area with the promise of shops on that site, as it stands its an eyesore, it attracts anti social behaviour, etc.. Id also love a shop within walking distance - ok I could walk to either Spar but itd be 15/20 minutes each way.

Where are the Knocklyon United FC grounds? Is that the grounds on the way to the M50? Again, Im kind of confused by the uproar? Why are people objecting to progress - there is a massive need for more schools given the influx of people throughout "newer" Firhouse (hunterswood, beechdale, oakdale etc...) over the past 6 or 7 years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two local councillors responded to emails from me within the last few weeks to say their preferred site for the schools was the Old Court location. I also know people who bought around the "square" of the proposed area were told by the builders the site was to be a park and therefore, if they'd known it was going to be anything else, they wouldn't have bought a house there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Two local councillors responded to emails from me within the last few weeks to say their preferred site for the schools was the Old Court location. I also know people who bought around the "square" of the proposed area were told by the builders the site was to be a park and therefore, if they'd known it was going to be anything else, they wouldn't have bought a house there.
    What wasit zoned for when the bought?

Really? Well they should have checked the plans because it was always zoned as business use and Maplewood Developments had planning permission for shops but then that permission ran out during the downturn.

I had checked the plans (back in 2005) and was happy Id be getting a local shop - more fool me!

Edit - just realised you said schools and the Old Court site - was that a typo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The Lidl is being fought tooth and nail by the locals (NIMBYism) and the local councillors (with local elections on the horizon...)

Who exactly? None of the local TD's/Councillors are opposing it in the leaflets posted in my door. Also, it's a done deal. Construction expected to start before the end of July.

• Advertisement

Gmail has deleted the contents of my trash folder from the time, but two came back to me regarding the location of the Firhouse/Oldbwn ETNS and said their preferred site (which they were to vote on in council chambers) was the Oldcourt Road location.

That wasn't the site of the Lidl afaik. It was the greenfield site on the other side of the road

I had no idea any site on Old Court Road was being considered for a school. The greenfield site opposite the LIDL site is a working livestock farm and I wasnt aware it was up for consideration at all.

Here is all I was aware of:
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=26217

For further info re LIDL, the final decision following appeal was granted on 3rd February:
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&regref=SD12A/0032&type=apps&dateoptions=any&area=Any&keywordtype=applicant&term=Maplewood

I don't think it was being actively considered. Some TD's / Councillors just stated that was where they would prefer to see it (on leaflets put in doors).

Synode wrote: »
    I don't think it was being actively considered. Some TD's / Councillors just stated that was where they would prefer to see it (on leaflets put in doors).

Ah I understand. Being totally honest about it, I havent really been paying a huge amount of attention to locations for schools as I dont have kids myself and I dont live very near the proposed locations.

On a slightly different note - has anyone tried the chinese above Scholars since it was re-opened and whats the food like?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Opposite the apartments on the Old Court Road - its called Old Court Farm.

The farmer is a fella called Tim McGlynn, very nice chap, sells the free range eggs locally - they are yummy!

Where does he sell his eggs? Can you drop up to him? I'd definitely be interested in getting some.

Does anybody know what that ruin is up beyond the farm? It looks like a really old structure and its covered in greenery. I don't think you can drive up to it.

That's great construction is starting soon on Lidl. It will be so convenient.

fondue wrote: »

Does anybody know what that ruin is up beyond the farm? It looks like a really old structure and its covered in greenery. I don't think you can drive up to it.

Carthy's Castle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montpelier_Hill#Carthy.E2.80.99s_Castle

fondue wrote: »
    Where does he sell his eggs? Can you drop up to him? I'd definitely be interested in getting some.

He does an egg round (similar to a milk round!) but on Thursday evenings, bout 6.30 or 7pm. Ill send you on his details - just have to get them off an egg box! The eggs are yummy, its 2.50 a half dozen but its incomparable to a supermarket egg. I was up there and saw the space the chickens have, its really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

Thanks. Always wondered what that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cmuwan

Plz mail me his details... Itd be great to support local business.

• Advertisement

Pm sent.

You know there are two guys who do fresh fish also (they operate from a premises just beyond the farm).

I havent got the number to hand but I can dig it out if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bigburdy

Can I just add re the Lidl, what most of the residents in Beechdale complained about re the construction of the Lidl is where the entrance is going. The entrance to the shop should be from the Old Court Road however it will be from within the Beechdale estate.
    There will be a huge influx of cars into the estate which is already used as a rat run for the area.
    If you read some of the observations made by those living beside the site you will see that most welcomed the development of the site but wanted it noted that when they bought in the estate they were initially told there would be a local centre, similar to Woodstown not a discount food store/supermarket.

Is the anti-social behaviour at Woodstown not a massive incentive to not replicate that model in Beechdale?

Is the anti-social behaviour at Woodstown not a massive incentive to not replicate that model in Beechdale?

Totally but it will be the same with a discount food store. Thinking of skateboarders handing around the car park!

The idea of a very busy supermarket with the amount of deliveries & traffic associated with a discount food store is just very worrying for the residents of Beechdale. I think I'd have preferred a Spar shop!

bigburdy wrote: »
    Totally but it will be the same with a discount food store. Thinking of skateboarders handing around the car park!

The idea of a very busy supermarket with the amount of deliveries & traffic associated with a discount food store is just very worrying for the residents of Beechdale. I think I'd have preferred a Spar shop!

For some residents of Beechdale maybe, please dont speak for all of us!! All of my neighbours including myself are thrilled about a more local cheaper supermarket. I drive to Tallaght village every weekend to do the shopping, itll be heaven to just pop to LIDL.

What LIDL do you know where you have ever seen skateboarders in the carpark? I mean that seriously? Ive never ever seen it. Ive never experienced any carpark hassle and I have shopped in any of the ones within a 5 mile radius. They dont really attract kids - what kids want to go to the supermarket, not like Spar where they are in and out buying bits.

The entrance is only about 20 metres off the Old Court Road, are you concerned about the traffic turning the corner? It wont be coming through the estate. No need for it. The amount of disturbance is likely to be as bad as it is now during construction - ie, none.

Im honestly surprised at any naysayers, its infinitely better than the desolate wasteland with ugly weathered hoarding that was there.

I know for a fact there have been issues with skateboarding in the Lidl in Tallaght Village and the one in Rathfarnham. The skateboarders appear when the shop closes.
    There is talk about the estate being closed off at Oakdale which would reduce traffic. I'm assuming you don't live on Beechdale Road, perhaps one of the cul de sacs off it, as if you did live on the road and had children the issue of traffic would be a major concern. The fact that deliveries will be arriving in large trucks, which by the way are not allowed in residential areas, is also a concern.
    Where the entrance to the shop is going is another concern, the road is not wide enough and then you also have the issue of the people from the apartment parking opposite the entrance!
    I genuinely hope you are right in that traffic won't be an issue.

Also people coming from Ferncourt, Oakdale & Dale Tree are more likely to drive through Beechdale than use the Oldcourt road!

bigburdy wrote: »
    Where the entrance to the shop is going is another concern, the road is not wide enough and then you also have the issue of the people from the apartment parking opposite the entrance!

I have to stop by and have a look at the map on the site entrance, Id imagine they will widen the road there. I havent looked at the road plans in any detail so I cant really comment.

To be honest, LIDL aside, the roads around the area are a nightmare anyway. Lots of the corners are blind and/or dont have enough space for 2 cars to pass and there seems to be an enormous amount of general muppetry where people are actually parking on or so near corners that visibility is even worse. I heard one eejit stating at a meeting re LIDL that she parks on the corner as her own version of traffic calming, forcing people to go slow because she blocks the visibility - wtf, she seemed oblivious to the fact that she was actually making a bad situation worse!

Regarding Beechdale Road and children, with respect, there was always supposed to be shops there so there was always going to be the same worry for people with children. If you dont live in a cul de sac, your children are going to face through traffic, anywhere. I just cant see increased traffic being an issue - its a LIDL, not Dundrum Shopping Centre.

On the skateboarders - what is the issue with them? Is is just that they are there? Are they causing trouble or just using an open space to skateboard in? If the shop is closed why would it bother people if they were in the carpark, no one would be in the carpark?

Im sorry you feel so negatively about something that I can only see the positives of, I hope that your worries prove groundless. I appreciate its not nice to be worried about something that you cant change, but I think the advantages far outweigh any disadvantages and I for one, am watching the build daily and cant wait for the day the doors open.

The issue with the skateboarders is noise.
    Personally I just think a Lidl store will yield a much higher traffic level than a spar type shop. I genuinely hope I am wrong.
    In one sence I'm looking forward to the shop opening, that hoarding has been an eye sore for far too long and the good thing about Lidl is they tend to keep the area around the shop clean and well maintained.
    Re Beechdale Road - alot of residents were sold the houses after being told by the auctioneer that the Road going down to Dale Tree was going to be closed off. Another issue - a lot of apartment residents used to not drive on Beechdale Road, if you remember previously there was an entrance to the apartments over near the Oakdale estate. When they closed that off it drastically increased traffic on Beechdale Road.
    Hopefully my concerns don't amount to nothing. Here's to fresh fruit & veg on a daily basis ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Annalis

Hi lads new to this forum.
    Well Lidl is nearly here and I'm personally looking forward to the ballycullen addition because the local spar is such a rip off.. I'd go to superquinn for bread and milk over Spar.
    I live on hunters green so been watching the construction closely. Heard 5th Dec opening.
    I do think that stretch of road is too narrow as ppl are always parked there.
    I do cut through there when heading to the drs. But not rush hr.

Also anyone else heard more about the farmers field opposite, is it zoned for residential properties or even schools..
    I love the cows and horses..
    I always thought no when u bought.

Advertisement