Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diversity of facilities Firhouse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Annalis wrote: »
    Also anyone else heard more about the farmers field opposite, is it zoned for residential properties or even schools..
    I love the cows and horses..
    I always thought no when u bought.

Directly opposite is planned to be zoned residential, with also a provision for a school

See the local area plan (LAP) for all the details http://www.sdcc.ie/services/planning/local-area-plans/ongoing/public-consultation-for-draft-ballycullen-oldcourt-local

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Directly opposite is planned to be zoned residential, with also a provision for a school

See the local area plan (LAP) for all the details http://www.sdcc.ie/services/planning/local-area-plans/ongoing/public-consultation-for-draft-ballycullen-oldcourt-local

That's all only proposed. I must ask the farmer if the land is being sold off for this. It'd be a rotten shame to build on that land opposite LIDL, it would ruin a lovely uninterrupted view of the mountain.

On LIDL, I was told Dec 7th by one of the workmen. It's looks practically ready right now, shelving came in yesterday.

I am surprised they didn't widen the road, they definitely need to double yellow line where people are parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I live on hunters green so been watching the construction closely. Heard 5th Dec opening.
    I do think that stretch of road is too narrow as ppl are always parked there.
    5th December opening was confirmed by Lidl on their twitter feed.

Looking forward to it ourselves, being able to just pop the baby in the pram and walk five mins down to do a small shop rather than having to go down to Superquinn or the Grange road. I'd never go to Spar for anything but milk, bread or biscuits.

Traffic will be a bit crazy on that stretch, but the plan is to remove all the roundabouts and replace them with lights. Bit of a pain but it does mean people will stop using the road as a rat run and there'll be pedestrian crossings there.
    Also anyone else heard more about the farmers field opposite, is it zoned for residential properties or even schools..
    Planning permission for a large nursing home was applied for a couple of years ago, but I think it was denied or the applicant withdrew it or something. There's no planning permission for anything there, but on the local area plan it's zoned for half residential, half parkland/sport facilites.

There is zoning for a primary school on the south side of Stocking Avenue, between Stocking Wood and Dalriada. Been there for years and developers have continually tried to get them to remove it, but they won't. So clearly they intend on putting a school in there at some point.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is there a GAA or rugby pitch being put into the old Victory centre? I saw a digger in there and what looked like goal posts too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

We got this in the door the other day.

282004.jpg

Here's a larger version if you can't read the above - Link

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Is there a GAA or rugby pitch being put into the old Victory centre? I saw a digger in there and what looked like goal posts too.

Yeah, Brian Lawlor posted on his FB page that the council was returning the VC site to its original planning permission which included a pitch.

I see they have started a build on the site of the old garden centre on the Old Court Road - presume its this childrens home I mentioned in the opening post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yeah, Brian Lawlor posted on his FB page that the council was returning the VC site to its original planning permission which included a pitch.
    Victory centre update,
    Many of you have noticed activity at the Victory centre lately, the reason for this activity was the receiver has instigated work at this location to return the site according to its original planning permission which included a Gaelic Pitch, this can only be seen as a very positive move. Will update FB when I have more information

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cllr-Brian-Lawlor/124033007647844

A little odd seeing as it was repossessed by the banks? Have the council bought the property?

Synode wrote: »
    We got this in the door the other day.
    Cheers, yeah I forgot that. The LAP plan includes a primary school across the road from Hunter's Meadow.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cllr-Brian-Lawlor/124033007647844

A little odd seeing as it was repossessed by the banks? Have the council bought the property?

Sorry, I said council meaning it is they who have the power to change planning permission.

I dont know whats going on with the receiver, or how it would help them to return to the original pp.

I presume they are leaving the centre? Who owns it at the moment?

• Advertisement

I presume they are leaving the centre? Who owns it at the moment?

The bank I would have thought. I cant see how they (they being the bank) can do nothing with the building - there is still a mortgage of millions on it - they will have to sell it to get something back - but who would have the money to buy such a building and what would its use be? I mean, itd be a perfect concert venue, but its not a good location for concerts.

It seemed to be doing well when it was open in relation to the commercial activities. Would love if it opened and continued doing what it was doing

Just as long as the original family didn't get their hands on it again (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055660864)

It seemed to be doing well when it was open in relation to the commercial activities. Would love if it opened and continued doing what it was doing

Yes, but it mustnt have been cost effective to continue the commercial activities - otherwise the receiver probably would have. And the coffee place was owned/run by one of the pastors sons so that was part of the receivership.

I assume the other businesses (creche, slimmers world etc) just found new premises?

Im glad that the scam masquerading as religion is gone from there but Im sorry to see such a beautiful building fall into disuse. I am at a loss to know what could be usefully done with it though that would allow the bank to recoup a few quid and turn the building/site into something relevant. It was purpose built as a religious scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Annalis

I could just about make out that picture in the bulletin, I think I better start following Brian more closely.. Well that will be the end of my lovely view.

Weird I didn't get it in the door. Would like to go to it but I'm out this Thursday night.

Any of you guys heading? Would love an update after on this thread if anyone would/could oblige :-)))

P.s love the Lidl Soave (wine) ..looking forward to having that little treat closer to home..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bigburdy

I'll start this by saying I don't work for Aldi (I've mentioned them a couple of times before) but I heard Aldi are looking to open a store in Firhouse and are looking at the Victory Centre as a possible location.

Re the Old Court Area plan - I heard it was going ahead, is this not the case?
    3500 houses, two primary schools and a park area. The primary school is going across from the Lidl.

Re the Lidl, it is opening Thursday Dec 5th. The road will not be widened.

bigburdy wrote: »
    I'll start this by saying I don't work for Aldi (I've mentioned them a couple of times before) but I heard Aldi are looking to open a store in Firhouse and are looking at the Victory Centre as a possible location.

OMG - Id LOVE this!!!!!

The Old Court Plan - all proposals, there is an info meeting tomorrow night, but I cant make it unfortunately.

OMG - Id LOVE this!!!!!

The Old Court Plan - all proposals, there is an info meeting tomorrow night, but I cant make it unfortunately.

I saw on Brian lawlor page on fb it was the 20th??

I saw on Brian lawlor page on fb it was the 20th??

Oh well then I missed it!

There are a few of them for different parts of the area - so I may just be confused.

Or me (confused)

• Advertisement

bigburdy wrote: »
    Re the Old Court Area plan - I heard it was going ahead, is this not the case?
    3500 houses, two primary schools and a park area. The primary school is going across from the Lidl.
    They've been doing a public consultation for the last couple of weeks. Really these consultations are to see if there anything big that they've missed, any really good ideas they didn't think of, or anything which a lot of people object to.
    The plan as presented will likely be 95% the same once they're done with the consultation.

I'm sure a few people will object to the housing zoned, given the huge chunks of half-finished building in the area, but with housing demand on the up in South Dublin, there's no way they'd rezone it as parkland.

In terms of information - there have been "information sessions" for the last two weeks, and the final date for submission is tomorrow afternoon. There may separately be an information meeting tomorrow night organised by someone else?

I dread to think of what the Colmcille Road and surrounding junctions would be like with another 1500 cars on it in rush hour. Doesn't bear thinking about.

I dread to think of what the Colmcille Road and surrounding junctions would be like with another 1500 cars on it in rush hour. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Make that nearly 3k!! Most homes have 2 cars. Eeek!

Well part of the plan is to upgrade the old court road and add a new link road from old court to Bohernabreena, south of Allenton. Which is great for people who want to avoid the M50 traffic and go south and west, but considering how much traffic is M50-bound in the morning, it will be scant relief. The junctions at the old mill and Knocklyon gate will still be big bottlenecks.

The bulk of rush hour traffic is schools traffic though, it's worth remembering, and the area is outside of the catchment for the schools inside the M50 ring.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Gaelscoil na Giúise is probably going on the site opposite Lidl

http://www.gaelscoilnagiuise.ie

spockety wrote: »
    Gaelscoil na Giúise is probably going on the site opposite Lidl

http://www.gaelscoilnagiuise.ie

My understanding is that the site planned for this was beside the community centre, but that is being objected to by local residents, so another site being considered is the one opposite LIDL. Given the expansion of Firhouse in the last decade - they could probably do with both!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I think it's fair to say that local opposition has basically blown the Firhouse Community Centre site out of the water.. no chance of it happening there.

Some of the same councillors who were involved in supporting residents campaign against that proposal are now working to lobby for the alternative site opposite Lidl. I think there is talk of making the school site opposite Lidl even bigger than it appears on the Local Area Plan maps..

I think it's fair to say that local opposition has basically blown the Firhouse Community Centre site out of the water.. no chance of it happening there.

Oh really? What happened there?
    Some of the same councillors who were involved in supporting residents campaign against that proposal are now working to lobby for the alternative site opposite Lidl. I think there is talk of making the school site opposite Lidl even bigger than it appears on the Local Area Plan maps..

What Im confused about here is that the site is a working dairy farm - do they put compulsory purchase orders on for this kind of thing or how does that work?

au contraire mon frere (kind of)
    :D

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=26217

I think this is the ET national school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

au contraire mon frere (kind of)
    :D

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=939&pid=26217

I think this is the ET national school

That notice is from May 2013, well thats the date on the two papers anyway. Is this not the proposal that residents objected to? Im a local resident and have heard no new developments.

Advertisement