Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diversity of facilities Firhouse

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No, that was earlier again in the year. I think this may have been the compromise to get the school somewhere (it's currently in Old Bawn Community Centre) as directed by the Dept of Ed' but not necessarily its permanent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Tabnabs wrote: »
    No, that was earlier again in the year. I think this may have been the compromise to get the school somewhere (it's currently in Old Bawn Community Centre) as directed by the Dept of Ed' but not necessarily its permanent home.

Ok thanks. Am amazed we heard nothing about this as the neighbours around us were very involved in the orignal objection I just couldnt remember when they came around looking for supporters of the petition to object.

Must check in with them and see whats happening now.

Just did a quick search on Brian Lawlors facebook page and saw this from Sept 8th, I vaguely remember reading it alright

"Part 8 proposal suspended indefinitely.
    Following the huge number of submissions (1400) and strong representations by myself and a number of other councillors.

The Council and the Department of Education have confirmed to me today that they are seeking alternative sites for the location of the schools, therefore the Part 8 vote is suspended indefinitely till a new site is found.

I 'm delighted with this outcome, if anybody has any queries on this issue please do not hesitate to contact me 0876445472"

- This applies to the ET and gaelscoil although the word indefinitely needs to be defined. Personally I can't see anything getting the go ahead, there is too much strong opposition but I could be proven wrong, although I hope I'm not!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Tabnabs, the page you link to was the proposal to put it beside Firhouse Community Centre. As Digs points out from Brian Lawlor's page, there is no chance of it happening. It is a dead parrot.

It was to house both Gaelscoil Na Giúise and Educate Together. Gaelscoil Na Giúise is currently housed in Firhouse Community Centre itself with a class of Junior Infants, while Educate Together are housed in Tymon Bawn Community Centre with a class of Junior Infants.

Digs - I can't see anything getting the go ahead on the Firhouse Community Centre site (i.e. the football pitches), but in terms of schools in the wider area going ahead, they definitely will as the demand is huge. The SDCC Local Area Plan itself says that almost HALF of all primary school age children in the area have to go outside the area for a school place.

Spockety I do agree with you re the need for schools but personally I think the objections to building on that particular site (firhouse community school) were completely justified given the location. There is no shortage of land in the area so to build where the fields are currently being enjoyed by residents for numerous uses would be very unfair. The location up behind lidl seems much more reasonable and hopefully this will get the go ahead.

I have a 7 month old daughter so it is something that I am very aware of, I wouldn't chose an educate together myself but do see the need for it as there is a big demand.

• Advertisement

Brian Lawlor just announced on his fb page that the dept of youth and child affairs will provide South Dublin County council with €10,000 for the development of a playground in Ballycragh Park which is opposite scholars.

Long overdue and great news for those of us with little people! Hopefully it's along the lines of the one beside Rathfarnham castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

hi, anybody know whats being built on the old oldcourt garden centre location?
    I hear its going to be 10 2 room apartments but I am unsure whether they are council owned or privately owned?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yulkmn wrote: »
    hi, anybody know whats being built on the old oldcourt garden centre location?
    I hear its going to be 10 2 room apartments but I am unsure whether they are council owned or privately owned?
    Thanks.

It's going to be a children's home and there'll be eight two-bed apartments.
    http://www.novas.ie/harlem-court-development-set-to-get-under-way

Advertisement