Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which slidey-phone

Options
  • 05-07-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi..listen to this saga... my old Nokia slidey-phone has packed up, I'm due an upgrade, so i skipped along to our vodafone outlet in Kanturk for a replacement...mistake no 1...hopeless selection, and when i eventually got to the single assistant, was told theres none available...I dont want a smart-phone, and i'm not yet ready for an 'old persons' phone..she persuaded me to buy a piece of junk nokia for €40 to 'keep me going', she then managed to transfer 25% of my numbers to the new piece of junk, and threw her hands up helplessly at the rest...a restless line of customers queueing at this point..I should say she's generally quite good, but needs help in that shop - I was that soldier myself...
    I beat a retreat but despite poking on t'internet failed to find a retailer in Cork/kerry who can sort me out...am i being quare?
    I'd appreciate a little help now...smallish smartish slide-phone, nokia or samsung, vodafone monthly, value around €125...where to go?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I remember forking out guts of 600 quid in 2003 for a huge nokia slideyphone with internet.

Smartphone grandaddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Sony Ericsson W995

One of the last and best sliders ever made.

Metal, stereo speakers, 2.6 inch screen in a compact body, wifi and GPS with expandable memory

You won't find it in a shop anymore but you will find it on ebay in your price range.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/Mobile-Smart-Phones-/9355/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Sony+Ericsson+w995

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w995-review-329.php

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Hi MM, thanks for your reply..its a cool phone, but i don't need the whiz-bang technology, and I dread to think of the aggro trying to get it unblocked or whatever is needed, and then trying to transfer contacts...the bloody vodafone shop failed already!!..I want to walk into a shop, and come out with a smallish phone, preferably slider, with my contacts installed...even googling phone-shops in cork and kerry only throws up the Cork phone-store with their pitiful website...help!!!

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Hi MM, thanks for your reply..its a cool phone, but i don't need the whiz-bang technology, and I dread to think of the aggro trying to get it unblocked or whatever is needed, and then trying to transfer contacts...the bloody vodafone shop failed already!!..I want to walk into a shop, and come out with a smallish phone, preferably slider, with my contacts installed...even googling phone-shops in cork and kerry only throws up the Cork phone-store with their pitiful website...help!!!

The thing is, no one makes them any more. You can get a cheap candy bar BlackBerry or some cheap android or a windows phone 8 lumia 520

Those in the link should all be unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Go into a 2nd hand phone store. I don't think anyone is selling a basic slider phone these days.

or buy on amazon or similar. then bring both into a shop and ask them to transfer the contacts for you.

• Advertisement

Hi, ok, thanks again...if i go down this road, how do i know if the phone is unlocked /unblocked...do i need any codes?...sorry, but completely new to this..there was an old samsung in my house which i put my sim card into, was no good cos sim wasn't recognised or something, it was an o2 phone, sim was vodafone...shows how much i know...

oldsmokey wrote: »
    Hi, ok, thanks again...if i go down this road, how do i know if the phone is unlocked /unblocked...do i need any codes?...sorry, but completely new to this..there was an old samsung in my house which i put my sim card into, was no good cos sim wasn't recognised or something, it was an o2 phone, sim was vodafone...shows how much i know...

If you go the ebay route the description should tell you.

Also check the sellers feedback and the amount of feedback. Or get someone who's used to ebay help you in the purchase.

Just go for one that says unlocked. You can then just pop your SIM card in it. No codes needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Personally I'd go amazon.co.uk and a shop over Ebay. Maybe I'm just being superstitious. I just think you get less messing on Amazon. But you have to do as Mad Muffin says above check that someone has like thousands of good feedback. 2nd phone Shops in Dublin usually have a good selection of older phones. They might give a short warranty too.

Sliders fell out of fashion because the sliders tend to damage their cable and break more often that phones which don't slide. Dead screen is a common failing. Some of the flip phones are quite similar open/close to turn on/off and you can get something like a Samsung E1150 or E1190 which are basic but work fine. Ditto the Samsung E2550.

Hi all, thanks for your help...before going down the road of buying a phone, is there no way of getting my 'free' upgrade from vodafone for the simple slide-phone i want?...the vodafone shops are dire, but are there any phone-shops who carry a decent range of phones and are also VF agents worth a call?..tried t'internet, can't find anyone bar 'nuke-phones' in Galway, who're not agents, but do seem to carry (or at least advertise) a decent range of phones...thanks...

Advertisement