Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xcluding Rock/Metal What Other Music Genres Do You Listen To? Survey

• 05-07-2013 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

I started this thread to do a survey on other music genres people might listen to- excluding rock/metal- what other music genres would most of you listen to? myself the only real other music genres I would really listen to would be jazz music/classcial music and opera music-I was never into mtv pop music.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

I find myself liking bands and artists as I get older, not genres as such.

So I hope this helps,
    Bands I love apart from Rock.

Orbital.
    Beasties (RIP MCA)
    Prince.
    Santigold
    Vince Guaraldi Trio
    Justice
    Ladyhawke
    Mu. ..check her out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MU_(musician)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I was wanting to head to Blondie at the Olympia in my Kreator t-shirt but unfortunately the ticket price was a bit too steep. :(:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The music I make/perform is field recording based ambient but seldom listen to other ambient. It's either techno or metal for me mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Lots of jazz (probably as much, if not more than metal these days) but also funk, Motown, disco, 80s and early 90s pop, 'interesting' pop (stuff like Bat For Lashes, Kate Bush, Tori Amos whom I went to see live in 2005, wore my 'Annihilation of the Wicked' Nile tour tshirt and ended up talking to a guy in the jacks about metal as he was wearing a Slayer tshirt!), electronic (mostly Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, FSOL, Orbital, etc) and a bit of classical and world music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Everything and anything, as long as it floats my boat. I would have started off all those years ago only mainly listening to metal, but "moved on". I won't say I don't listen to metal these days, but it's not as relevant to me as it once was. I was at Mastodon recently and loved it, but I'm not up on all the metal scenes these days. I would tend to cherry pick from the metal scene. I never got much into pop music, though would listen to Prince etc if the chance arose. Is Prince pop? Or is he alternative or wha!?
    If I were to pick up a guitar to try and play or write something, the influence wouldn't come from the metal bands, it would now come from the likes of Radiohead or Wilco, ,but sometimes I like to join that up with the heavy face melting influence of metal. \m/ Can't be beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

old irish battle music, can't stand any of that celtic folk metal that's out there though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vffqnYUyFVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOjce6AVf4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Classic, especially Dvorak and Grieg :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

My first love was Maiden, Saxon, Sabbath etc.

Then in my teens came Slayer, Anthrax etc.

However, Morcheeba, Air, Sneaker Pimps are beautiful to listen to.

Joss Stone, Dusty Springfield, Paloma Faith are fantastic.

Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Midfield General put a spring in my step.

The Stones, Hendrix and Deep Purple humble me.

But eight out of ten artists I listen to are vile, fast and heavy and I wouldn't inflict them on my family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Classical - particularly Beethoven, whose work seems to cover a wider range than others, bridging the gap between Classical and Romantic eras.

I also don't mind innovative pop music, particularly the 80s. The digital revolution in musical technology caught many by surprise, and led to some risky experiments, some of which paid off handsomely. It's all so safe and homogenised today: we do stuff, using cheap or even free software, for which musicians of 30+ years ago had to go grovelling to their bank managers.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

This thread interested me (found it while googling for something completely different)

Outside of metal, I'm very into country music.

Currently listening to a lot of David Allan Coe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

Hardcore dance sh!t mainly but I want to get into some old skool "heavy" techno on vinyl. I like underground dance music but I like any music that I like! I'll think nothing of putting on some Ace of Base then listening to old skool Burzum 2 minutes later. Music is music. I'm not in any "scene" nor do I want to be

Advertisement