Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skerries Races---15 euro to see them pracitce.

• 05-07-2013 5:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Friend of mine rang there a few minutes ago.

Hes currently up at Skerries to have a quick look at the lads practicing for tomorrows Skerries Road Races.

They are charging 15 euro in,to see the practicing.

He and lots of others said no way and walked away back down towards the bike park..

Is it fair to charge people 15 euro today,to watch the lads practice for a bit??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 C.B Photography

€15 !?!?, thats rediculous, it's not even the actual race :/ I'm heading up there for the race today, the race should be good though :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

€15 !?!?, thats rediculous, it's not even the actual race :/ I'm heading up there for the race today, the race should be good though :D

Yes 15 euro to see the practice.And they have it all security fenced off too at the ticket/pay in area.

According to my friend,alot of people up there are not happy about this.All they wanted to do was see some of the pracitice for a little bit and then head off on their way.

I was gonna go up with my girlfriend in the car,after she finishes work this evening.

But I will now pass on it,as I will not be paying 30 euro just to see some practice for 20 minutes-half an hour.

Cant make it to the actual races tomorrow,due to prior commitments

Dont forget to pack the suncream...Id say there a few burnt faces,legs and arms up there today...:pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

15e like last year.. the same.. iwas there with Kevin from here and we just tturned back... no way paying 15e +5e for parking for watching practice. race is different but practice.. no thanks

• Advertisement

Bikerguy wrote: »
    15e like last year.. the same.. iwas there with Kevin from here and we just tturned back... no way paying 15e +5e for parking for watching practice. race is different but practice.. no thanks

Apparently,thats what quite a few folk were/are doing up there.

Im not gonna bother going up this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

sure thing paddy.. first.. bike parked in someones garden, but before you park it they tell you that they are not responsable, anyway charging you 5e.. then 15e for seing few bikes practicing, warming tyres... its great, but i am not milionare and i rather spend the few e on petrol and spin around the coast.

Bikerguy wrote: »
    sure thing paddy.. first.. bike parked in someones garden, but before you park it they tell you that they are not responsable, anyway charging you 5e.. then 15e for seing few bikes practicing, warming tyres... its great, but i am not milionare and i rather spend the few e on petrol and spin around the coast.

Thats what my friend and a few others have done.

Think he said they were heading off up around to Ardgillian Castle and then back home on the coast road via Loughshinney and Lusk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Turn around and head into Man O War to The Devils Disciples MC 'Blackhills' rally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭gipi

There are usually a couple of races held on Friday night as well as the practice.

Remember that €15 paid today gets you in tomorrow as well (just keep the wristband).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

So people will pay €15 to see the racing but will not pay €15 for the racing and the practice.....fair enough if you cant get the the races and just want to have a gander at the practice. But it does take alot of money to run the races and I would rather pay the money then have the event go the same road as Kells.
    There was a good crowd all the same today....and the weather is meant to be a cracker tomorrow.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    So people will pay €15 to see the racing but will not pay €15 for the racing and the practice.....fair enough if you cant get the the races and just want to have a gander at the practice. But it does take alot of money to run the races and I would rather pay the money then have the event go the same road as Kells.
    There was a good crowd all the same today....and the weather is meant to be a cracker tomorrow.

I rekon 5-6 euro in today at the gates to see some practice would have been acceptable to people.

15 euro entrance fee should be an option to anyone what is attending today and tomorrow.

Or the option of just 5-6 euro in for today only (if you could only make it for practice)

But not 15 euro in today just for some practice sessions....sorry but thats taking the pi55...as alot of people up there have said.

Was talking to my mate there a while ago and he said that one of the ticket men on the entrance gate said that Fingal County Council have suddenly decided to hammer them over fees and costs for running the event.

""Blame Fingal Council and not me,Im only here to take the money and give out the wristbands".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

I'm not a member of the Loughshinny club, but that €15 enterance covers you for BOTH practice and raceday. From what I hear public liability insurance for next season's road races will rocket up due to a recent court award. Roads close in the morning at 9am and will reopen at 6pm. Weather's gonna be a belter, have no issues with paying for a class day's action ;)

BTW - the DDMC Custom Show has been cancelled - taken from the DDMC facebook page earlier

DEVILS DISCIPLES MC IRELAND

DUE TO LICENCE PROBLEMS THE BLACKHILLS CUSTOM AND CLASSIC BIKE SHOW HAS BEEN CANCELED
    THERE WILL BE NO ADMISSION TO THE SITE EFECTIVE IMEDIATLEY
    SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENINCE CAUSED
    HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL AT THE NEXT SHOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Get yourself over to the Isle of Man for the Southern... 0 quid to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Exactly True ! Skerries costs a fortune to stage and could go off the calendar if it doesn't break even 15 Euro is nothing for such excellent high quality racing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

3DataModem wrote: »

...dunno about you, but the last ferry I got to IoM - and accommodation - was neither free nor cheap.

I do think €15 is too dear for the practice - but if that's for 2 x days, than I think it's fair.

But I'd rather pay something rather than nothing and see the races disappear.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

3DataModem wrote: »

headin over tuesday!

For those who think €15 is too much to pay for a very entertaining a full 10 race programme, weather's looking right for the odd lap record to be broken, well you can listen to live race commentary here Roads close @ 9am 6pm :p

http://www.radio-irish-roadracers.com/

Nodster wrote: »
    For those who think €15 is too much to pay for a very entertaining a full 10 race programme, weather's looking right for the odd lap record to be broken, well you can listen to live race commentary here Roads close @ 9am 6pm :p

http://www.radio-irish-roadracers.com/

No one said that...if you read the thread correctly.

The question was asked,is 15 euro too much to pay in just to see some practice sessions on a Friday??
    People (including some members here) have said that expecting people to pay 15 euro in for some practice on a Friday Only is asking too much and is too dear.

The same was voiced by alot of people up there today,according to my mate and the group he was with.And quite a few people wouldnt pay 15 euro in just for the practice sessions.They walked off back down the road instead.Alot of people who wanted to have a look this evening,but who cant/wont be able to make the races tomorrow,due to work,family or other personal commitments.

Why not give bike fans and people/families attending on the Friday afternoon/evening an option or a choice

15 euro for a combined Friday/Saturday ticket.

Or 5 euro in just for the friday evening to see some of the practice.

Paddy, it should'vw been explained to the OP that the charge would've covered admission for the both days. I only managed to get to the last two sessions last night and didn't see anyone at the the enterance on the Schoolhouse road section - right breckie done, I'm off to see my 33rd Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭prunudo

Is it possible to call in at any stage during the day or do you have to be there from early? What would parking be like if I went around lunchtime

jvan wrote: »
    Is it possible to call in at any stage during the day or do you have to be there from early? What would parking be like if I went around lunchtime

You can go at any time you like.

Cars and bikes parked either side of the road for a mile or 2.....especially if comming in from Blakes Cross and Rush.

Theres a field that has been converted into a bike park/car park...5 euro to park in it.

As is usual you park your bike at your own risk,so bring a lock with you aswell.:)

Hope everyone (racers and spectators) has an enjoyable and safe today.:)

Well we went up at around 3pm and got in for free.

No one on the security/entrance gates,so we just walked in and enjoyed 4 races.

Michael Dunlop broke the lap record today aswell.:)

You could say it was kinda busy today.:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Had a great day up there burnt to a crisp:D

Was the first road race iv been to and il defo be going to more now, them boys have some balls and give it there all, hats of to them!!!

Have a few pics of today, we were at the start/finish line for the first couple of races then moved down to Joeys sweep for the last few

Still cant get over the speed they were carrying through them corners!
    001_zps163ed92a.jpg
    002_zps9873197f.jpg
    004_zpsa1be6741.jpg
    006_zpse16a781e.jpg
    008_zps3e4d2ed5.jpg
    009_zps0e20bb9d.jpg
    012_zps0137904c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Nice pics Darren,

Have a few pics will stick them up tomorrow....it was a great day all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Nice pics Darren,

Have a few pics will stick them up tomorrow....it was a great day all round.

Great day up there Gary, took the car up dont think i could have stuck the heat in the gear all day

M.Dunlop went crazy at the head marshal over dirt on the track and photographers in the way off them when the 1st race was stopped for a while

Was Very impressed with Derek Sheils i thought he was going to take the second race but the 2 Dunlops were on top form and in a league of there own imo

Where were yous watching it from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    Had a great day up there burnt to a crisp:D

012_zps0137904c.jpg

ITS Granola........GRANOLA..............................:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

paddy147 wrote: »
    Well we went up at around 3pm and got in for free.

Well after all your whinging about the cost of paying in, you ended up getting in for free, I'd like to think you bought a programme to show some support ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

ye its a joke was up there friday i was only goin up for an hour or so and i watched families walking away like €70 to bring the family out for a hour or 2 cause the kids will want to go after a while €15 for 2days like its should be free and make a donation like €5-10 ... €15 is a joke watch loads off bike turn away its killing the sport

Advertisement