Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skerries Races---15 euro to see them pracitce.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I bet it would be the same fu.cker moaning about prices that got in for €5 for a practice that would be claiming if a stone of one of the race bikes hit him in the leg.....you just cant win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I bet it would be the same fu.cker moaning about prices that got in for €5 for a practice that would be claiming if a stone of one of the race bikes hit him in the leg.....you just cant win.

A rather tasteless comment to make,seen as a spectator can be seriously injured by flying debris.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/injured-skerries-100-spectator-suing-for-damages-598604.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0626/459046-samuel-thom-court/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Have to say I think is too expensive, havn't gone to the races for past few years because of it.

It used to be free in, then it was 5 for race day and kept increasing.

They used to make enough from programs, sponsor a bale and other sponsorship to cover them, what has increased the costs so much that they have to charge so much these days.

I saw mention earlier about FCC charging more fair enough thats a bit more and they have increased safety with better bales and that (although I presume most of that is supplied by Motorbike Racing Ireland) I see from the pics they had grid girls thats a waste of money.

The other one then is insurance, while I have sympathy for the burn victim at the end of the day your going to view a dangerous sport and accidents happen, I know at other motor racing events they say that on the tickets you accept the dangers.

Paddy you would start a fight with the dalai lama over the colour of his robe you know that! Cop on will you, how is a flying stone (trivial injury) the same as a engine exploding and burning an old man the same thing.

I am referring to the current "Sue Culture" over the littlest of things that has brought the RR scene to its knees.

Yes, it happens and its unfortunate if a serious injury occurs. I was hit last year at cookstown by a stone kicked up from a racer and it hurt like **** and drew blood. But as a spectator or marshal I am aware of the dangers, its a dangerous sport.

You are probably one of the few that brings the dogs to the races on the extendible leads and let them run all over the place mid race taking pictures with your latest iPhone 4 with the flash going off, or sit on the bank with the legs hanging down thinking you are quick enough to stand up if a bike hits the bank then moan like **** when a marshal asks you to stand up for your own safety.

Then head back home and type at 40 words per minute trying to convince everyone you are the "VOICE OF REASON" on everything that has wheels!

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Have to say I think is too expensive, havn't gone to the races for past few years because of it.

It used to be free in, then it was 5 for race day and kept increasing.

They used to make enough from programs, sponsor a bale and other sponsorship to cover them, what has increased the costs so much that they have to charge so much these days.

I saw mention earlier about FCC charging more fair enough thats a bit more and they have increased safety with better bales and that (although I presume most of that is supplied by Motorbike Racing Ireland) I see from the pics they had grid girls thats a waste of money.

The other one then is insurance, while I have sympathy for the burn victim at the end of the day your going to view a dangerous sport and accidents happen, I know at other motor racing events they say that on the tickets you accept the dangers.

And some kind local farmers too...one of which I know well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

paddy147 wrote: »
    A rather tasteless comment to make,seen as a spectator can be seriously injured by flying debris.

How is that a "rather tasteless comment to make", that accident in those links happened in 2008 and are being heard in the high court.

Ya can't pussy foot around everyone's feelings, or are you just looking to argue some more?.

How is that a "rather tasteless comment to make", that accident in those links happened in 2008 and are being heard in the high court.

Ya can't pussy foot around everyone's feelings, or are you just looking to argue some more?.

Dont feed the trolls......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Paddy you would start a fight with the dalai lama over the colour of his robe you know that! Cop on will you, how is a flying stone (trivial injury) the same as a engine exploding and burning an old man the same thing.

I am referring to the current "Sue Culture" over the littlest of things that has brought the RR scene to its knees.

Yes, it happens and its unfortunate if a serious injury occurs. I was hit last year at cookstown by a stone kicked up from a racer and it hurt like **** and drew blood. But as a spectator or marshal I am aware of the dangers, its a dangerous sport.

You are probably one of the few that brings the dogs to the races on the extendible leads and let them run all over the place mid race taking pictures with your latest iPhone 4 with the flash going off, or sit on the bank with the legs hanging down thinking you are quick enough to stand up if a bike hits the bank then moan like **** when a marshal asks you to stand up for your own safety.

Then head back home and type at 40 words per minute trying to convince everyone you are the "VOICE OF REASON" on everything that has wheels!

You were lucky the stone didnt smack you in the head and give you brain damage or even kill you.Wonder would your attitude be the same if you sustained very serious/life changing injuries and needed lots of medical care and aftercare/help??

I dont have a pet dog....

I dont have an I-Phone (no need for one) and I dont use the flash on my camera either.

And I certainly dont sit on a bank of have my legs stick out.

I find the grandstand in the field and also in behind the barriers at Finnigans Corner is just nice for me.

So please stop posting these futile and silly false little comments about me..

Take your own advice here and cop on.
    You could try and post in a more respectfull manner

Regards.

The only life changing injuries I suffer to my brain is coming on here reading your verbal diarrhoea, you would talk a glass eye to sleep paddy!
    As for tasteless - you would know all about that telling every single lad on here who crashes a bike that is was their fault no matter what the circumstances and how it happened.

A word of advice.....

The next time someone says "Penny for your thoughts"........SELL!

The only life changing injuries I suffer to my brain is coming on here reading your verbal diarrhoea, you would talk a glass eye to sleep paddy!
    As for tasteless - you would know all about that telling every single lad on here who crashes a bike that is was their fault no matter what the circumstances and how it happened.

A word of advice.....

The next time someone says "Penny for your thoughts"........SELL!

You might have had a glass eye yourself,if that stone had hit you in that area.

It might even happen again to you in the future......who knows......hopefully not though.

Nite nite Wonda-Boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Not getting involved in the argument one way or the other, and not taking sides either, but my feeling on it is that it's not good value for the price they're charging. I went to the MotoGP in Brno a few years ago, and it was €20 for a three day ticket!! Yes, that was the Friday practice, the Saturday qualifying and the Sunday race, with access to 90% of the viewing areas....for €20!!! (For the doubters, I still have the ticket and would happily prove you wrong if you say I lie.) I was there on holidays anyway so there was no travel cost to the race.

So as much as I like Skerries, and I never missed a year up until they started jacking up the prices, I say no, it's not good value for money.

P.K.M. wrote: »
    Not getting involved in the argument one way or the other, and not taking sides either, but my feeling on it is that it's not good value for the price they're charging. I went to the MotoGP in Brno a few years ago, and it was €20 for a three day ticket!! Yes, that was the Friday practice, the Saturday qualifying and the Sunday race, with access to 90% of the viewing areas....for €20!!! (For the doubters, I still have the ticket and would happily prove you wrong if you say I lie.) I was there on holidays anyway so there was no travel cost to the race.

So as much as I like Skerries, and I never missed a year up until they started jacking up the prices, I say no, it's not good value for money.

I was there many years ago (1999) when Jamie Witham broke his pelvis and his bike set fire to the place,after it burst into flames.He was very lucky not to recieve worse injuries.

Brno is a fantastic circuit.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

P.K.M. wrote: »

so lets make it clear here.

Brno - czech republic. i was born 70 miles away from there. so, the prices are made as well for local people that they may have access to it. the average earnings around that area are like 4€-6€ at most per hour. (100-150CK) they dont have euro yet. so i wanna see your ticket in euros btw. but the point is to make it available depending on the economy, average earning here is like at least 10e an hour.

i am not defending the price of skerries but clearing out that you cant compare that at all.

If you (as in general public) want to attend just the practise for what ever reason then I agree that €15 is a tad high, and should be more flexible but you could always give the band to another family member or friend to use on race day. But over all for Practise (6hrs) and race day (7hrs approx) its pretty good value over all. Unless its pissing out of the heavens all day and no races are run.....I was not arguing the prices of the event in the above posts.

2 pics I forgot to post from Skerries paddock area.

The old and the new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

i like the tyres on the new1....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Thread should be titled 'Skerries Races - I'm too tight to pay for a full ticket can I just pay for practice please?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Thread should be titled 'Skerries Races - I'm too tight to pay for a full ticket can I just pay for practice please?'.

This thread should be deleted.
    I did not know whether to laugh or cry at some of the things posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭enricoh

i paid 12 quid into a nightclub saturday night for prob an hour. i paid 15 for a days cracking racing. if people wont pay it then sod them. plus it gets rid of the skangery element only there to get locked n cause hassle somewhere different.

anyone know if the guy that crashed in the supertwins was ok?, went past us with the leg in the air, he was some pilot to manage to hold on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

enricoh wrote: »
    i paid 12 quid into a nightclub saturday night for prob an hour. i paid 15 for a days cracking racing. if people wont pay it then sod them. plus it gets rid of the skangery element only there to get locked n cause hassle somewhere different.

anyone know if the guy that crashed in the supertwins was ok?, went past us with the leg in the air, he was some pilot to manage to hold on

All good, rider ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement