Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to OPFA, Grants etc.

Options
  • 05-07-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am receiving OPFA and have a boy just turned 6 last month. Just received an offer for my first choice (Secondary school teaching) after 2 years of Fetac courses and then an Access Course - so delighted to have received the offer!

A friend of mine is going into her 3rd year in college, and has been moved from OPFA to BTEA as her youngest child is 17 now. She feels she won't be able to continue with her studies as it would be impossible to run a home, and drive an 80 mile round trip daily on the BTEA alone.

So my issue is now - I will receive my OPFA along with my Grant this year, but will be changed to BTEA next year (when son reaches 7). I also will have to do a Mon-Fri 80 mile return trip to college, and just won't be able to afford that on the BTEA of 217 and pay childcare :(

I have accepted my place on the course - but with these changes will it all be pointless and I have to drop out next year? Worked so hard for this place - but I know I wouldn't afford petrol & childcare on the BTEA alone. Moving closer to the college is not an option for me.

Would love to hear from anyone in the same position, or have any advice for me. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Some colleges also give subsidies towards the cost of childcare plus you can apply to the student assistance fund which is an extra fund that colleges have for students in financial hardship

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Childcare subvention is available to help with childcare costs and might be useful to you. I've attached some info. Its not a huge amount but might be a help.

More details are also available here:
    http://www.dcya.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=%2Fdocuments%2Fchildcare%2FCC_Subvention_Scheme%2FCC_Subvention_Scheme.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19 avolon

Lor2010 wrote: »
    I am receiving OPFA and have a boy just turned 6 last month. Just received an offer for my first choice (Secondary school teaching) after 2 years of Fetac courses and then an Access Course - so delighted to have received the offer!

A friend of mine is going into her 3rd year in college, and has been moved from OPFA to BTEA as her youngest child is 17 now. She feels she won't be able to continue with her studies as it would be impossible to run a home, and drive an 80 mile round trip daily on the BTEA alone.

So my issue is now - I will receive my OPFA along with my Grant this year, but will be changed to BTEA next year (when son reaches 7). I also will have to do a Mon-Fri 80 mile return trip to college, and just won't be able to afford that on the BTEA of 217 and pay childcare :(

I have accepted my place on the course - but with these changes will it all be pointless and I have to drop out next year? Worked so hard for this place - but I know I wouldn't afford petrol & childcare on the BTEA alone. Moving closer to the college is not an option for me.

Would love to hear from anyone in the same position, or have any advice for me. TIA.

I'm just starting myself in Sept/Oct, and will be going from OPFA (my daughter is almost 14)to BTEA. You get the same money, the only difference is with the BTEA is you get a one off payment of 300 (I think) towards your books. Plus the BTEA isn't compulsory you can stay on the OPFA if it's financially more viable for you. Your friend probably has to change because of her childs age. He/she maybe turning 18 during the term and she will lose her payment then. Not sure why she's worried about moving from one to the other unless she's getting RA or MA, which she would lose on a BTEA. She also doesn't have to take BTEA, but she can't receive JA while in full time education as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

avolon wrote: »
    I'm just starting myself in Sept/Oct, and will be going from OPFA (my daughter is almost 14)to BTEA. You get the same money, the only difference is with the BTEA is you get a one off payment of 300 (I think) towards your books. Plus the BTEA isn't compulsory you can stay on the OPFA if it's financially more viable for you. Your friend probably has to change because of her childs age. He/she maybe turning 18 during the term and she will lose her payment then. Not sure why she's worried about moving from one to the other unless she's getting RA or MA, which she would lose on a BTEA. She also doesn't have to take BTEA, but she can't receive JA while in full time education as far as I know.

You dont get the 300 euro payment anymore. Its abolished.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement